Author Topic: Look-up request for William Makin Smith  (Read 10967 times)

Offline matildakin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up request for William Makin Smith
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 20:38 BST (UK) »
I got out to Pine Hills today. Their computer records aren't the best. They gave me gravesite coordinates for a Thomas Smith interred in 1947 but I found an interloper (John Smith, deceased 1931) in that location. They did tell me that Thomas, Margaret and Norma were buried together but I'll have to go back another time and hope I get lucky.

It took some poking around before I found William and Edith. Here are a couple pictures.

mat   

Online RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I just looked up Edith's obituary in the Toronto Star (using the date from the tombstone photo).  It appears that 3 of her children are living - as of 1998.  The obit mentions "the late Margaret Collins, Claire Gawman and William George Smith".   I assume (from the sentence construction) that these 3 have passed away.   

I will send you the details via PM.

RK

Offline Rowefamily2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 22:46 BST (UK) »
Wow!

I didn't expect to feel emotion like I did when I saw those pictures!

That has totally blown me away!

Mat, Thank you so much!

I really don't know how to thank you all for the amount of help you are all giving me on this thread. 

The really interesting thing now is the info RK found on Edith's obit..... 

Toronto Star - Friday, August 7, 1998

SMITH, Edith Florence-  Peacefully at Scarborough General Hospital, on Thursday August 6, 1998, in her 93rd year, Edith, beloved wife of the late William, and dear mother of N and her husband H Whitmore, D and his wife B, L and his wife B, and the late Margaret Collins, Claire Gawman and William George Smith.   Lovingly remembered by eight grandchildren and many great grandchildren. Friends may visit at the Jerrett Funeral Home, 650 Kennedy Road, Scarborough (between Eglinton and St. Clair Ave E.) after 12:30 pm Saturday August 8 followed by funeral service in the Chapel  at 2:30 pm Saturday.  Interment Pine Hills Cemetery.  As expressions of sympathy, donations to the Arthritis Society or the Heart and Stroke Foundation would be appreciated.

The D mentioned can't be my Dad!  He was married to Agnes, my Mum, and lived in Edinburgh.  Dad had never been in contact with William, and knew nothing of Edith.  So could that mean he has a half-brother with the same name????!!!!

D is a family name on my Dad's side. It goes a long way back, and indeed my brother, and my own son, are also called D. 

Erm... I may need to be careful what info I give my Dad now, as he's chuffed to think his Dad knew of him, when it may have been another brother!!!!!

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 23:24 BST (UK) »
It is still possible that William knew about your father but his second wife and children didn't.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Rowefamily2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 23:37 BST (UK) »
It opens up a whole can of worms!

Was William actually my Dad's Father?.... My Grandmother returned to Scotland when she was around 4 months pregnant with my Dad.

The story was that she and William had argued about her talking to another man.  She came back home to Edinburgh, and was to return to get the girls - Claire and Margaret, but never did, due I believe to the War and lack of money.  She never remarried, and as far as Dad knew, William was his father and is named as such on his Birth Certificate.  As far as we know, there was never any contact between William and his first wife, Agnes.

I wonder what will pop up next?!

I would so love to find Dad a living relative who can tell him more.

Sue x

Offline Rowefamily2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 16:32 BST (UK) »
Just modified my earlier post and taken out actual names.  Sorry!

Offline Rowefamily2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 23:20 BST (UK) »
Been digging around again this evening and found more info on some living relatives.  ;D

Found an obit for David James Smith for March 20th 2008 in the Toronto Star on 23rd March 2008, and it names quite a few people.

Come up against all dead ends since tho....  :-\

Offline Rowefamily2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi....

I am in the process of trying again with my search, as I ended with a run of dead ends!

Sadly my Dad died very recently on 1st March at the age of 91.  I’m now going through old folders of info to see what I can find, hence trying agin to unearth any info I can.

Sue

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 16:11 GMT (UK) »
What info would you like to revisit ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada