Author Topic: Sutherland  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Martin Harmer

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sutherland
« on: Friday 18 March 11 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Seeking the parents of James Sutherland, born abt. 1791, married a Jannet Sinclaire, 22/11/1816, born abt. 1801.
Also any info on thier siblings.
Harmer, Kempson, Kiesler, Oakland, Payne, Crowle, Sutherland, Tulloch, Ward, Benfold, Donovan, Brooks, Smith,

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Sutherland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 March 11 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Seeking the parents of James Sutherland, born abt. 1791

Where was he born - James Sutherland is a very common name in Scotland

married a Jannet Sinclaire, 22/11/1816

Can you always include locations please to save us having to look it up - IGI shows Caithness

Where was Janet born?

Without birthplaces - it is impossible to get the info you need

If either died from 1855 onwards - you can search Scotlands People for their deaths and the death cert will give you info on their parents

Once you have their parents names - you can search the IGI as follows for details of their siblings

PARENT SEARCH ON IGI

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

Input fathers name and surname and  mothers christian name and maiden name

REGION – select British Isles from the menu

COUNTRY – select one or “All countries”

COUNTY (will appear when you select COUNTRY)  – select whichever matches what you know about the family

Click SEARCH

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Martin Harmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 March 11 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Not exactly sure of birth place (Midlothian) but a 1841 census has thier address as "Potterrow, Edinburgh and was a shoemaker by trade.
Harmer, Kempson, Kiesler, Oakland, Payne, Crowle, Sutherland, Tulloch, Ward, Benfold, Donovan, Brooks, Smith,

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 March 11 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin

From what we had in this previous post www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,516358.0.html, likely a Caithness connection for James and wife Janet, indicated by the marriage you have found in 1816 in Halkirk Caithness. Both James and Janet show as born in Scotland (therefore outside of the county of Midlothian) for the 1841 census. With their likely deaths before 1851, makes it harder at this stage to be more certain on their places of birth.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 March 11 12:04 GMT (UK) »
What information, if any, was included on the 1816 old parish register entry for James and Janet's marriage?

Monica

Offline Martin Harmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 March 11 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Hand writing is hard to read but the only extra info I can get from it is (Tharpsdale) ??

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 March 11 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin

Old writing can be hard to read. You can post a section with the place name entry here and people could try to help with the name or also you can post on the RC 'Deciphering & Recognition Help' board here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,425.0.html

This is an 1832 map of the Halkirk area http://maps.nls.uk/atlas/thomson/view/?rsid=74400135&sid=74400135&mid=485  I can see for example a place name 'Harpsdale' as a possibility (pretty much in the centre, under the main word 'Halkirk').

Monica

Offline Martin Harmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 March 11 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Knowing some of the Sutherland history I find it strange that there has been no one name study done on this family, if there is who has done it and were can it be found ?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 March 11 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin

Sutherland as a surname is very common, in the Caithness area even more so. I am not aware of the name being part of a one name study unfortunately. This is the 'S' page from the Guild of One Name Studies www.one-name.org/cgi-bin/index.cgi?find=S - as you can see, the names tend to be slightly unusual or unique.

The main problem at the moment for you is finding the trail back to Caithness (assuming that is where both  James and Janet came from). At the moment, all we have as the earliest reference is that marriage in late 1816 in Halkirk.

You might consider looking at the names of their children in order to see whether you can get any potential clues as to their parents' names from that (if they used some form of Scottish naming pattern). So far, from either IGI or the 1841 census we have:

1. Isabella 1818
2. James 1820...likely died young and name re-used
3. Alexander b. 1822-26 (from census age in 1841 of 15 - ages normally rounded down to nearest 5yrs)
4. Janet 1824
5. Ann 1826
6. Jane 1829
7. Elizabeth 1833
8. William 1835
9. James 1835*
10. Mary 1842

* Just noticed, when comparing birth years and census ages an anomaly for James. We have him in the censuses as born c. 1831. The IGI entry, which is an extract from actual record, shows 1835, twin to William also born same date, 30 Oct 1835. Maybe something to check out on the original image on SP?

Monica