Author Topic: Alnwick Orphanage  (Read 2838 times)

Offline scrumsrus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mainly from both sides of Scottish Borders & Fife
    • View Profile
Alnwick Orphanage
« on: Friday 18 March 11 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any information on the Orphanage in Alnwick, during the 1940's ?  My mother and several of her brothers and sisters were there between 1942 and 1946 however she was very young at the time and her memory is a little vague.  I want to be able to add details regarding the staff, daily life and the organisation to my family history as it is obviously quite a big part of the lives of my mother and several of her siblings.

Any information is more than I have currently.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Direct surnames: Stuart, Lowes, Welsh/Welch, Purvis, Robertson, Scott, Halkerston, Middlemoss, Stothert, Brown, Arnot, Mather, Wilson, Kirkaldy, Hamilton, Geggie, Wood, Huntley, Parker, Pigas,  Hunter, Close, Douglas, Young, Robb, Hannah, Fraser, Brydon, Hill, Harrison, Paterson, Hall, Bell, McQuaker, Edgar, McKeand, Bruce, Cumming & variants of all the above and many other less direct relatives.

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Alnwick Orphanage
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 March 11 20:18 GMT (UK) »
  Hi Scrumsrus,          Info on Alnwick workhouse .  from google.
             Apparently it closed in June 1943, the then inmates were sent to the Thomas Taylor homes at Stannington ,Nthld.
     After 1930, workhouse became Alnwick Public Assistance Institution.
          very little oft he records survived, if there were any I'd imagine local records office would keep them, or try googling Woodhorn records office.   Dolly
Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.