Author Topic: 3rd Welsh Regiment  (Read 5141 times)

Offline JENNE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
3rd Welsh Regiment
« on: Saturday 19 March 11 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Can; anyone help me.  My grandfather was  in this Regiment during WW1 but i can find no mention of it anywhere.
 On my fathers birth Cert. he put occupation :  Lt. 3rd Welsh Regiment (Accountant) so I presume he was not in active Service.
At one time he was living in Syston, Grantham during the war - and he came to the UK from Japan and stayed in the UK during the war.

Any ideas anyone - please help.
Thanks
Jenne

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Welsh Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 March 11 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jenne

You need to post your GF's name.

Ken

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 March 11 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at http://www.1914-1918.net/welsh.htm

This site includes:

3rd (Reserve) Battalion
August 1914 : in Cardiff. A depot/training unit, it remained in UK throughout the war. Moved to Barry in August 1914, thence to Kinmel Park (June 1916) and in May 1917 to Redcar where it remained as part of Tees Garrison.
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 March 11 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Assuming he was an officer and left the army before 1921 (I think it was 1921) then he might have a personal file held at the National Archives at Kew. Look at that website - his file (if there is one) will probably be in series WO339 or WO374 or PIN26 (I think that's the lot).

Given that he did not serve abroad the file might not contain much info and the NA do charge a fee. Depending on his name he might be easy or hard to spot e.g. there are pleny of Jones's on the list!

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline JENNE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 18:21 BST (UK) »
Sorry Ken, 
His name was Walter Pyne James.

Was a Lt. and ended the war as a Capt.  3rd Welsh Regiment.
Thanks for the information Bernard.

Jenne

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 18:31 BST (UK) »
Only thing I can add is that the spelling of the Royal Welch Fusiliers was spelt with  a letter "C"   in Welch.   
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenne

The army did not have accountants. Maybe he recorded his civil job as well.

In an Army List from 1918 he is listed under 3rd Battalion (Special Reserve) Welsh Regiment as a Lt (effective 1 July 1917) but attached to the Machine Gun Corps. I could not find a medal card for him. So he would not have served overseas.

I did find this on the LG –

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30201/supplements/7581/ - he is bottom left. Notice that his lieutenancy was back-dated to 1st of April.

There is no clue as to what kind of instructor his was. Given his profession he may have taught payroll sergeants etc. You should check his local record office to see if a National Roll of Honour was produced for his town. He may have paid for a mention given his lack of medals. Also his obituary may give some clues.

Ken

Offline JENNE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 April 11 08:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ken you have been a great help.  Does Spec. Res. mean Special  Reserve?
Nothing at all on his obit.  He died in South Africa.
And no "home town" in the UK either, the family lived in Japan.  Bit of a bugger tracing them all over the world, esp. when the records are difficult to come by or non-existant.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 April 11 08:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenne

The army did not have accountants. Maybe he recorded his civil job as well.

In an Army List from 1918 he is listed under 3rd Battalion (Special Reserve) Welsh Regiment as a Lt (effective 1 July 1917) but attached to the Machine Gun Corps. I could not find a medal card for him. So he would not have served overseas.

I did find this on the LG –

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30201/supplements/7581/ - he is bottom left. Notice that his lieutenancy was back-dated to 1st of April.

There is no clue as to what kind of instructor his was. Given his profession he may have taught payroll sergeants etc. You should check his local record office to see if a National Roll of Honour was produced for his town. He may have paid for a mention given his lack of medals. Also his obituary may give some clues.

Ken

When was the Royal Army Pay Corps formed?    Surely the Pay Corps would have had accountants and treasurers.

Maybe regiments held cash for pay and buying certain essential supplies, the officer holding that cash could have been  called the accountant.         I remember my father saying he held a box of cash and was issued with a rifle to guard it.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich