Author Topic: Letitia Morrow married to James Morrow 1904.  (Read 5382 times)

Offline mojo1970

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Letitia Morrow married to James Morrow 1904.
« Reply #36 on: Friday 19 February 21 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I found the death registration for Sarah Jane Morrow which matched the other information that I have gathered.

I found James Morrow (tailor) married to Sarah Jane McCord living at 10 Sackville St. Confirmed births:

- Sarah        b. 05/07/1873 (note - Sarah Jane Wilson present at birth of 26 Sackville St.)
   - James        b. 09/04/1875
   - George       b. 16/04/1877

- Mary Eliza   b. 30/04/1878 and the family now living at 37 Derry St.
   - John           b.  04/03/1880

Some of my distant cousins have an Annie Morrow but I did not find any birth record. They also have Sarah and Annie in Canada with Acheson/Aiken as Annie's married name.

Regards

Offline mojo1970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 21 February 21 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I just want to say thank you for all your help on the research of my great-grandmother, it has been an eye opener into clarifying names and DOB through official records. I managed to get all the relevant certificates to clarify the various family lines and addresses etc.

Only one aspect that has left me baffled!! By the birth records that I have obtained James Morrow was born in 1875 with his brother John born in 1880. Census 1901, marriage cert 1904 and death cert 1943 all have James aged 21/24/63 which places his birth in 1880 but birth cert states 1875. I'm wondering how there could be a mix up between James and John's birth records?

Again many thanks!!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 21 February 21 15:11 GMT (UK) »
The births/ages don’t match up with Sarah 1873/ 25 in census

Do you have Annie’s birth?

I wonder if the census family is your family? James fits with occupation but not age.  :-\

I am not saying he is not, but it isn’t quite certain.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mojo1970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 21 February 21 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

That's the reason I checked and through certificates I discovered James's age as 24 in marriage cert 1904 and death cert 1943 aged 63 placing his birth in 1880, even if the 1901 census in not him, I can confirm that he is in the 1911 census at 86 Roden St, again age 31 placing his year of birth in 1880.

I am unsure about Sarah, James, and Annie in the 1901 census in Harrybrook St as I could not find an Annie birth record to James Morrow and Sarah Jane McCord. Also, Sarah emigrated to Canada and I found an emigration record of a Sarah Morrow in 1900, again unsure if this is Sarah, James' sister.

Also, discovered a little more on the Heasily connection. Marriage cert of James and Lititia has them living at 489 Donegal Road, the home address of Esther, Lititia's sister.

Offline mojo1970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 02 June 21 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just to let you all know that through various certificates of births and marriages I have confirmation of my Morrow family from James Morrow and Sarah Jane McCord. Still looking for birth registration for James b. circa 1843 and his father John b circa 1824.

What do I know.....

1868 - John McCord lives at 10 Sackville Street but no sign of John Morrow (Flax Dresser) or his son James (Tailor) in Belfast ......Ref 1868 street directory

1870 - John McCord at 10 Sackville St and John Morrow (Flax Dresser) at 28 Sackville St......ref 1870 street directory

1873 - 1st Child of James Morrow and Sarah Jane McCord (Sarah) born, father James Morrow (tailor) 10 Sackville St. Present at birth Sarah Jane Wilson 26 Sackville St (I presume mistake and more likely 28) .....ref Sarah Morrow's birth certificate. Also, James Morrow and Sarah Jane McCord married fathers John Morrow and John McCord. Adresses 28 and 10 Sackville Street

1877 - James Morrow (tailor) 10 Sackville St and no sign of John Morrow.

1880 - James and Sarah has moved to 37 Derry Street and this address is on birth certs of the children.

It looks as though John Morrow Jnr born circa 1842 is a brother of James and is also a flax dresser. I believe he is the John Morrow (d.1917) mentioned in the Maybole thread.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=848781.msg7161008#msg7161008

In 1901 he is also on John senior's death cert and census in Christopher Street, 1911 census in Cambrai St, and a Union Workhouse at the time of his death in 1917...never married.

Some questions that might be useful going forward..

Who is Sarah Jane Wilson named as "present at birth" Sarah's birth cert in 1873?

James lives at 10 Sackville St from at least 1873...James and Sarah Jane McCord married in 1873. There is a John McCord death 2nd May 1870 but address is 114 Boundary Street but this not on the street directory. In 1900 there is a John Morrow (flax dresser) at 17 Boundary Street. Can't be sure if this is John Morrow senior or junior.

Research has come up with Flax growers James and Thomas Morrow in County Down between Banbridge and Newry. By coincidence there is a John MCord married to a Sarah ? who have a daughter Sarah born in 1845...same year as Sarah Jane McCord. This is I believe Moira area of County Down.

Hope to hear from anyone who may have further information on any of this but after all the research, it still leaves me still searching for places of birth for James and John. If I find anything more on my gg-grandfather James or my ggg-grandfather John I will start a new thread. Many many thanks to all of you who have helped me on this and the Maybole thread.

Kindest regards

Mojo

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 02 June 21 20:21 BST (UK) »
Still looking for birth registration for James b. circa 1843 and his father John b circa 1824.
Civil registration of births only started in 1864 so those 2 will not have birth certificates. If you are luckily you might find baptisms somewhere but many church records don't go back that far (and of those that do not all are online).

Present at birth Sarah Jane Wilson 26 Sackville St (I presume mistake and more likely 28)

Informant may have been a neighbour.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mojo1970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 29 October 23 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I know it's been a while but recently after a chat with my Dad's 1st cousin came up with new information on the Morrow family. Also some help on the Belfast forum and some more research it looks as though I may have my Morrow family.

John Morrow b circa 1824 married Mary ? b circa 1825. Looks like they lived at the following:

20 Artillery St, Belfast
28 Sackville St, Belfast
17 North Boundary St, Belfast

Children

William 1839; John 1842; James 1843; Margaret Jane 1847; Christopher 1850; Mary ?; Andrew 1854.

There is also the possibility of a Hugh Morrow but not sure where he fits in. Also a Samuel who my Dad's cousin seems to have been told about.

As for John and Mary, I found a record of John Morrow marriage to a Maria Cummins in Dromore 1839. Again would be close to the McCord family in Moira and the Morrow links to that area of County Down but can't be sure. Again thank you for the previous information provided.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 21:50 GMT (UK) »
John Morrow b circa 1824 married Mary ? b circa 1825. Looks like they lived at the following:
Children
William 1839; John 1842; James 1843; Margaret Jane 1847; Christopher 1850; Mary ?; Andrew 1854.

If eldest child was born 1839 then parents John & Mary are most likely born before 1824/1825.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Children

If eldest child was born 1839 then parents John & Mary are most likely born before 1824/1825.

Amen!
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area