Author Topic: On finding the real EDWARD ASHWIN!  (Read 40664 times)

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: On finding the real EDWARD ASHWIN!
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Allan,

Thank you for your offer - it is much appreciated I will send you my address.

In regard to the Sebastopol passenger list  - I believe Helen Ashwin is Martin's eldest daughter and Marion his second daughter - and yes they set up a school in Hagley Road Christchurch.I think the name 'Mary' actually refers to Marion - I think there has been some mix-up with names there.

And the Sarah Wheeler listed is I understand Sarah Ashwin nee Wheeler's niece. Sarah Ashwin - born 1796 - had a brother who died leaving a son, and a daughter - Sarah. I do not know what happened to the Mother of the said Sarah Wheeler daughter of Sarah Ashwin's brother but my understanding is that Sarah accompanied her Aunt and Cousins to New Zealand on the Sebastopol. I hope that makes sense! I could be wrong but that is how I understand it.

I will send you a PM with my current address. I look forward to talking more soon.
Regards
Kate
Gover (Chatham Kent) Ashwin (Worcestershire)Wheeler (Worcestershire) Copson (Warwickshire) Harvey (St Just Cornwall to 1850 - and then Australia) Peters (Mold Flintshire) Mundy (Hampshire)

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Allan,
Oops I have made a mistake and before you pick up on it I will correct it!I have named Martin's mother as 'Sarah' Ashwin nee Wheeler  - and of course it is not. It is 'Elizabeth'
Ashwin nee Wheeler - I knew that all along I don't know what I was thinking! The only Sarah on the Sebastopol was Sarah Wheeler Elizabeth's niece. I do apologise for the error.

Regards
Kate
Gover (Chatham Kent) Ashwin (Worcestershire)Wheeler (Worcestershire) Copson (Warwickshire) Harvey (St Just Cornwall to 1850 - and then Australia) Peters (Mold Flintshire) Mundy (Hampshire)

Offline tombanwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 03 May 12 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Kate and Allan,

I just discovered this site. I am the great grandson of Jane Ratcliffe Ashwin and delighted to find you. I will compare your info with what I already have and get back to you with any questions or additonal information. My mother wrote a short unpublished book on her grandmother Jane.

Best, Tom

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 03 May 12 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Tom,
Delighted to make contact. I am eager to learn more of the family. I was just looking at my emails before I leave for a few days to visit my daughter. I will touch base with you when I return Tuesday next week. Very exciting.

Regards
Kate

Offline tombanwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 06 May 12 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,

Thanks for replying. My records handed down from my mother show 18 children to Martin and Emma. The names and dates match yours for the most part, however I don't have William Horace Durham at all. Instead I have two you don't have: Sarah Elizabeth b. 1862, and James Ernest Ashwin b. 1872 and died young. The other major difference is I show Theodore Craven Ashwin as being born in 1855, not 1862, which would make him the eldest child. Helen Elizabeth, Sarah Elizabeth, and James Ernest all died young.
(These records are from a photocopy of a paper supposedly written by Martin listing the dates and names of his children, and from a family tree written by Bernard “Barry” Carl Ashwin [1897-1975], son of Manley John, compiled in 1960).

Regarding Hagley House, I have that Martin's spinster sisters Helen (Ellen) and Mary Ann (Marion) came over on the Sebastopol and started the school in Christchurch. My great-grandmother Jane Ratcliff lived with my mother and her parents since before my mother was born, and they were quite close. According to Jane (from my mother's book) both Jane and Esther "Alexandra" (your g grandmother) attended Hagley House as students. Jane returned to Christchurch (from California) in 1900, a widow with two children to take care of her aged aunts, both in their late seventies.

I have copies of certified copies of both Martin’s and Emma’s deaths.

Best, Tom

Offline tombanwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 06 May 12 22:38 BST (UK) »
I've dug into more records on Ashwins. I agree with your belief that Sarah E. Wheeler on the Sebastopol was the niece of Elizaberth Wheeler nee Ashwin.  Sarah Wheeler married Henry Packer, and was the daughter of Samuel Wheeler, brother to Elizabeth Wheeler nee Ashwin.

Are you aware of the legal problems that Martin Richard Ashwin had? And his wife and son Martin Edward?

Attached is a photo of Emma Priscilla Copson Ashwin.

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 10 May 12 06:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Tom,

The photos and information are absolutely wonderful. I will be talking some more.

Regards
Kate

Offline semaphore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 13 August 12 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Kate,
I just stumbled upon your request whilst looking up information on Bretforten Manor for my daughter who is going to a wedding in the village this coming weekend.

I am the granddaughter of Ethel Maud Ashwin whose family moved to South Australia where I was born. I have your Edward on my very extensive family tree.He was indeed born in 1790 and died in 1832. He lived at Cook Hill and had a son Martin. I am delighted to learn more about this branch of the family. Edward was one of 10 children. Manley1783-1863 marr Susannah George, (their son Manley had 6 children),Phoebe chr. 1786 marr Richard Fletcher, Thomas b.1788,died 1789, your Edward who died of black jaundice, John 1792-1797,Mary b 1795 marr Albert Robins Fletcher, Thomas c1798-1850 from Tower Hill,marr Anne Horton and had 7 children, William c 1801-1843 from Willersley,drowned in the Avon River, Charles died 1805, another Chatles born 1807.

Edward was the son of Thomas Ashwin who married Phoebe Cormel in 1783. He had a sister, Eleanor who died at birth or soon after in 1748 and a brother Manley who died in 1749.

Thomas was the son of Manley Ashwin born 1719. He married Mary Godfrey in 1746. He had 5 brothers and sisters. Thomas, baptised 1727 who married Anne ?,Elizabeth c. 1721, Esther c. 1723, William c. 1726 died 1727, and Richard.

Manley was the son of Thomas Ashwin of Tower Hill, Bidford. He was baptised in 1688 and married  Hester Manley of Crowle, Worc. in 1719.Hester was the daughter of John (Job) Manley. Thomas had 5 siblings. Mary died 1690, Elizabeth born 1692 marr Robert Pickering, John 1695-1743 marr Martha,William c. 1647 d. 1748 marr Sarah Moore, Henry c. 1700 d. 1746 marr Mary. In have a whole list of John's and Henry's children.

Thomas was the son of Edward William Ashwin, yeoman who died November2, 1721. He was married to Elizabeth who died 1723.
He seems to have been the son of an earlier Edward married to a Barbara. Somewhere it has been found that this Edward was granted an estate at Cow Honeybourne by Members of the Inner Temple in 1593.

Obviously I have not done any of this research. It all comes from a tree handed down to me, and from the tree of a certain Linda whose husband is the great grandson of Martin Richard Ashwin upon whom I stumbled whilst looking for a B and B on the English coast!!

I am a bit busy with my elder daughter's wedding at the moment but I have a lot of information which all needs to be coordinated as obviously there is an error on my tree. You mentioned you were in Australia. We could possibly catch up there over the Christmas period.I live in France.

Susan

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hello semaphore,
Welcome to Roostchat - it is a wonderful site! I have had so many finds of great value to my research on this site and talked to many people - a lot of whom are distantly related - I find it all so very exciting.

I too am the the GG Granddaughter of Martin Richard Ashwin and I wanted to say thank you for your contact for now and to say I am most interested in what you say. There is so very much here to digest and to work through and I will need time in which to do so. So much correlates with what I have found. I look forward to talking more to you too  - but do understand you are very busy at the moment with the wedding and all. So when you are ready I will be delighted, and look forward to talking some more on our shared ancestors.

And when you have time - can you explain where Ethel Maud Ashwin fits into the family tree - I don't think I know her?

Regards
Kate