Author Topic: On finding the real EDWARD ASHWIN!  (Read 40666 times)

Offline Ashwin descendant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: On finding the real EDWARD ASHWIN!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 October 11 06:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much. I am really getting excited and feel I could possibly be getting a little closer to either thinking there is a link with some Ashwins or ruling others out. Your help and direction is greatly appreciated. I will most certainly pursue your suggestions.

whiteKat
Hi, I am a descendant of the Martin Richard Ashwin (born 1831 or 1832) you mention. Martin Richard married Emma Priscilla Copson and, together with 7 children emigrated to New Zealand, where they proceeded to have 11 more children, as I have recently found out. Have you managed to dig up any further information?

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 October 11 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Ashwin descendant,
I see that this is your first post. I have found Rootschat an amazing site - it opens many doors! Hope you find the same.
I am wondering which of the 18 children you are descended from - an amazing number - it doesn't bear thinking about! It must have been a tough life.
Regards
whiteKat
Gover (Chatham Kent) Ashwin (Worcestershire)Wheeler (Worcestershire) Copson (Warwickshire) Harvey (St Just Cornwall to 1850 - and then Australia) Peters (Mold Flintshire) Mundy (Hampshire)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 04:35 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather was Manley Ashwin. Off the top of my head I think he was the 11th child and I also think he was born in Little Akaloa, Banks Peninsula, the place where I understand the Ashwin family first moved to in New Zealand (in 1865?)after emigrating from England, and before moving to Hautapu near Cambridge. One of Manley's sons, Sir Bernard Ashwin, was my grandmother's (Doris Ida Martin née Ashwin) older brother. I live in Auckland.  I have only really begun to look into the Ashwin family history, thanks to discovering some information held by late father that belonged to Noel Ashwin, another brother of my late grandmother, and also a visit to the Cambridge Museum in the Waikato. My father was aware of the Bretforten connection and had visited there many years ago.
In searching for other living Ashwins in NZ, I am surprised by the lack of Ashwin surnames in the telephone directory.

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 November 11 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ashwin descendant,
Sorry for the delay in replying to your post but have been away and no access to internet. And yes - I believe you are correct - Manley John Ashwin was the eleventh child of Emma Priscilla and Richard Martin. My Great Grandmother was Esther Alexandra Cunningham Ashwin and I believe the first of Emma and Richard's children to be born in New Zealand - she was a grand lady living to 90.

I feel I have come to a bit of a brick wall with Edward and finding it really hard to trace his true parentage. I have in my possession copy of a letter from Martin Richard to his son - your Great Grandfather Manley John -written in 1895, I imagine you would know of this letter as it is your direct line? I find it very confusing as a lot of detail does not tally - yet there must be some significance to reality of truth. You do know of the letter of which I speak?

The closest I come to identify Edward's parentage is Thomas marrying a Phoebe - but I have no verification - and this is in conflict with the letter. It really is hard work but I trudge on when time allows.

There has to be a connection with Bretfortin Manor - but which branch of the Ashwin family I can find no evidence. I was in the UK last year and visited the Manor - I could only look at it from the street however. It looked quite magnificent. Unfortunately I didn't have time to pursue it further - no doubt the local library would hold a wealth of information. I believe the Ashwins have been in Bretfortin for a number of centuries.

I hope we can find more on these elusive Ashwins.

Regards
whiteKat
Gover (Chatham Kent) Ashwin (Worcestershire)Wheeler (Worcestershire) Copson (Warwickshire) Harvey (St Just Cornwall to 1850 - and then Australia) Peters (Mold Flintshire) Mundy (Hampshire)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 November 11 11:01 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if you have this but Edward who died in 1832 is listed as living at Cook Hill Bidford & aged 43.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 November 11 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jim,
Thank you for your information on Edward Ashwin's burial - it is much appreciated. I have found a burial of an Edward Ashwin on 22 Sept 1832 in Bidford, Warwickshire, age 43 with birth in 1789 on Family Search Deaths and Burials - but with no mention of Cook Hill. 

I believe this Edward to be my Edward but have no proof. I am wondering if your information comes from a different source to my find - whereby I could make further search.  I do not know the name of the Parish or the Church - I would love to find these to learn more. My search continues nonetheless.

Regards
Kate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 November 11 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I have only just begin the journey of finding out about the ancestors, so unfortunately can not offer any new info regarding Edward Ashwin's life. As I continue my investigations I will of course pass on any novelties.

And no, I am not at all aware of the letter you talk of, though I would dearly love to see a copy.

At this stage, I am looking into trying to trace descendants of Martin Richard here in New Zealand and, being somewhat of an historian, I am researching the history of Saxon immigration into Great Britain. It appears that the area near what was later called Bretfortin, was invaded by a Saxon King called Aescwine of Wessex in the second half of the 7th century. Given that apples generally don't fall far from the tree, it only took a brief online search of the UK telephone directory to ascertain that Ashwin is an unusual surname, and virtually all Ashwins in the UK live in the counties surrounding Bretfortin.

Martin Richard was very definitely an unusual man. If you have any info about the family you could pass on to me, I would very much appreciate it.

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 November 11 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ashwin descendant,

I have read your post and will certainly reply - however it is late in the evening here in Australia and have no time tonight- and tomorrow I will be in Sydney all day - so I will reply on Tuesday - the day permitting.

I have found the search for ancestors most exciting and it is amazing what can be discovered - especially here on Rootschat. Yes Martin Richard had a varied career on his life journey - do you mean 'unusual' in any particular way? Will talk more soon.

Regards
Kate

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 November 11 18:15 GMT (UK) »
The Parish Church for Bidford-on-Avon is St.Laurence's.The info came from the Ancestry PR's for Warks.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/