Author Topic: 1837.com  (Read 7338 times)

Offline bekahsgran

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re:1837.com
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 June 04 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
I also have Norton antivirus running but I still use 1837, you just have to go to your firewall and allow the web address and you should be able to view anything you like
Anne
<br /><br />Websdale, Jillings, Lovett, Savage, Egmore, Seymour, Graves, Hustler, Stannard<br />in Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire<br />Condrit, Condrat, Condrut, Tyler, Hunter and Evans in NSW Australia

http://www.tilneyallsaintsonline.org.uk
Local History for TILNEY ALL SAINTS, Norfolk<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bel_jon68

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 June 04 21:45 BST (UK) »
Just thought I'd add my bit...

I've found 1837online very useful but also frustrating because of the way names are indexed - I've used a lot of credits trying to find the right page sometimes.  If you're researching very unusual names, it's probably easier, but I usually get at least three pages to check for my surnames beginning ART (and zillions for my Jones surnames).

I don't have a credit card, I've paid using a debit card (Switch).  I've also received an email from them yesterday advising they are introducing new 'packages' of £10 and £15 worth of credits, which is much better than just the £5 and £25 they used to offer.

I'd definitely give it a go if you can, it's a fiver well spent.

Pussygalore
On the Norton issue, I've got Norton Internet Security (firewall and antivirus package) and never had a problem with logging in or obtaining information.  Are you sure you have installed the viewer you need to view the images??  Might sound like a daft question, but it sounds as if that might be your problem.

Bel
Researching
ARTHUR, ROBERTS, LEWIS and WILLIAMS in Denbighshire/Merionethshire/Glamorgan
EVANS and JONES in Montgomeryshire
FALLOW(E)S, JONES, PREECE and GITTON in Shropshire
and the list keeps growing...
(March 2006) Now looking for HINKS, SPARKES, INGRAM from West Midlands area

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
  • willing to share resources
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 June 04 12:07 BST (UK) »
i have pcillin virus software and enabled firewall,but i do have to disable my pop-up stopper ADSUBTRACT,before i can access the files.
otherwise no problems[so disable your pop-up stopper whilst on the 1837.com site ]
jaq
Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 June 04 15:37 BST (UK) »
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Adi1962

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 July 04 11:52 BST (UK) »
No one has mention that there is also a time limit on your credits, I think its about 2 months.

Currently researching
GODDEN, MARSH, WATERS & HUGHES Mid Kent
BUSHROD Mid Kent/Dorset,
FURMINGER Aylesford/Maidstone/Sittingbourne - Kent

visit http://www.Kent-opc.org

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bel_jon68

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 July 04 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Adi's right, there is a time limit, but "1837online.com has widened the choice of payment options on its website by introducing two new pricing brackets - GBP 10 and  GBP 15. For GBP 10 you will receive 122 units valid for 60 days, while for GBP 15 you will receive 194 units valid for 90 days. For further details, see the payment section at http://www.1837online.com".

You can also now pay using BT Click and Buy if you don't have plastic.  Not that one should have to pay for viewing the Index (use FREE FreeBMD!  ;) ;))...

Bel

Researching
ARTHUR, ROBERTS, LEWIS and WILLIAMS in Denbighshire/Merionethshire/Glamorgan
EVANS and JONES in Montgomeryshire
FALLOW(E)S, JONES, PREECE and GITTON in Shropshire
and the list keeps growing...
(March 2006) Now looking for HINKS, SPARKES, INGRAM from West Midlands area