Author Topic: Bells of Sedbergh and Dent 1605 on  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Helme Bells

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bells of Sedbergh and Dent 1605 on
« on: Monday 21 March 11 04:26 GMT (UK) »

Hello all,
             I am looking for information on Bells in the Sedbergh area from the early 1600's the only clue I have is that a brother to my ancestor John Bell married a woman from Knott, this appears to be Knott Point at Morcambe Bay

This Edward Bell married Isabel Fawcett but I have not been able to find where they married or when, but it would be before 1605 when Isabel appears to have died from child birth or something.

No records exist for Sedbergh much before this time.

Hope someone can help?  Mike
Bells of Dent, Sedbergh, Cartmel, Thirsk, Wensley, Swaledale, Askrigg, Cudworth Woodplumpton, Garstang, Fawdington, Bafferton, Norfolk, Gloucester and Bellassis Northumberland.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bells of Sedbergh and Dent 1605 on
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 March 11 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike :)

Sedbergh and Dent were never in Cumberland nor were they particularly close to it, being separated from it by the presence of Westmorland.  For some reason they were deposited in Cumbria in 1974 but, prior to that, they were in Yorkshire (West Riding).

Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Helme Bells

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 March 11 15:40 GMT (UK) »

Thanks,
            That was my first posting and I have broken a golden rule, sorry, I should have read the rules first!
Yes Sedburgh and Dent are in Yorkshire, but Knott is in Cumbria as far as I know and these Bells also seem to have been in Cartmel for some reason too, the Cartmel Bells and the Wensly Bells are connected and the Thirsk Bells are connected somehow too!
Yea I know Thirsk and Wensley are Yorkshire again, but they are are the same Bells.
The Bells married at Woodplumpton, Kirkham and Garstang too, now have I got you interested?
I have been in contact with decendants of the James Bell here that moved to Rockingham WA in the early 1800s but don't know if these are related yet.
Mike
Bells of Dent, Sedbergh, Cartmel, Thirsk, Wensley, Swaledale, Askrigg, Cudworth Woodplumpton, Garstang, Fawdington, Bafferton, Norfolk, Gloucester and Bellassis Northumberland.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 March 11 16:43 GMT (UK) »
That was my first posting and I have broken a golden rule, sorry, I should have read the rules first!

Hi Mike :)

It's not a problem for me.  You are more likely to find someone with the appropriate resources - and early 1600s hardly represents "run of the mill" stuff - if your question is posted on the appropriate board.

Woodplumpton, Kirkham and Garstang are all in Lancashire as was Cartmel.

There seem to be several Crofts around, several of them being in Cumbria but none probably in Cumberland, some in Westmorland, a county which was absorbed into Cumbria.  You can search for them here http://www.streetmap.co.uk/

Here is a map of Cumbria from Wiki

Only areas 3,4,6 and 5 (top part) were Cumberland.  You are asking about 2 and 5 (bottom part).

Here is a map of the old counties http://www.picturesofengland.com/mapofengland/historic-uk-counties.html

You could register here and ask http://cumbriafhs.com

I will be there ;) but you will find one or two people who may have knowledge of Westmorland who can help you.  Good luck :)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.