Author Topic: Doncaster Archives Look Up  (Read 2799 times)

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Doncaster Archives Look Up
« on: Monday 21 March 11 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi there!

Is anyone planning a visit to Doncaster Archives? If so please could I ask a huge favour.

I am looking for the marriage of Charles Lee and Ann Schofield. My great grandfather William (their 1st child) was born in Swinton in 1846.

There is nothing on the IGI and I have searched free bmd with no luck either.

I have contacted Doncaster Archives and they tell me that Swinton church was not licensed for marriages until 1849, so they probably married at another church nearby such as Wath on Dearne. Charles' family came from Adwick on Dearne so they could have gone there to marry.

Ann was born in 1825/26 so I reckon the earliest they could have married would be 1840 when she would have been 15.

I have no idea how many records there are and how long this search would take, but I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks so much
Jean :)
CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM
WWW.NATIONALARCHIVES.GOV.UK

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Ogilvie/Ogilvy                 Lee
Mitchell                           Gwynne
Davidson                        Evans
Eggie                              Felvus
Leighton                         Rowley
Craig

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Doncaster Archives Look Up
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 March 11 17:13 GMT (UK) »
I know Ann is young in 1842 but I wonder if she was married before.  :-\

There is a marriage for a Charles Lee in 1842 with a choice of two Anns amongst the 8 names listed.
December qtr 1842  Rotherham  22 375   

GLOBE  William   
HALL  Ann         
Hancock  Ebenezer     
HATTERSLEY  Emma     
HEELEY  Ann     
Horabin  Henry     
Lee  Charles     
ORR  Sarah
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 09:29 GMT (UK) »
I've checked the IGI and freebmd for a previous marriage using the surnames of the spouse but with no joy,as I've then found the couples on the 1851 census. I've pondered on this marriage for a while but I've come to the conclusion that they would have married as I have found christening records for some of thier children.
Ann Schofield remains a bit of a mystery as I cannot pin down her parentage, there are few possibilities in the vicinity, but I have no real proof. I only have her on the 1851 census when she states her birthplace as Rawmarsh. The only Ann "Scholefield" born in the correct time period is born in Greasbrough, there are a couple of others born in Rawmarsh but 5 years too early, but I still haven't ruled these out.
There is an Ann Schofield on the 1841 census in Rawmarsh aged 15, living with a George Lindley who's in his ealy 30's I think from memory, but I don't know what their relationship is. Ann dies in 1860 so I have not been able to get more info from census records about her. I have her burial record, but unfortunately there does not appear to be a gravestone, so no clues from that quarter either.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Jean :)

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Craig

Offline KLM

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 March 11 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeanp,
I have waded through the PR's for Wath and Adwick and have found no records for the marriage.
However....:-Charles was shown in the 1851 census aged 28 and born in Swinton.Ann is also featured aged 25 and born in Rawmarsh.
There is also Francis Lee,a widow,aged 80,a pauper formerly a schoolteacher born in Swinton.(Mother?)
There is also a Mary Ann aged 5 months together with William aged 4 born Swinton.
All the above from the 1851 census Wath on Dearne PR's show:-
Charles Lees of full age,a labourer and Elizabeth Schofield a minor,spinster who married in the Parish church in 1844.They both signed with their mark.
His father was Benjamin Lees a labourer and her father was William Schofield a collier.
I hope this helps.
Malone...Cheshire & Lancashire.Boswell...Bucks and Hunts.Lister...Yorkshire and Lancashire.

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hello KLM,

Sorry for the delay in replying I didn't get a notification!

I think this must be them! Well done, does it say what date they married? Charles' father was Benjamin and his mother was Mary, so don't know where the Francis fits - I have tried placing her before. So it looks like  "Ann" is Elizabeth  - I'll have to investigate further.

Thanks so much.

Jean

Craig

Offline KLM

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 April 11 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,
Ancestry tells me that Charles and Elizabeth married:-
1844...Q4...Rotherham...22...459.
This will get you a copy of their marriage certificate.
Malone...Cheshire & Lancashire.Boswell...Bucks and Hunts.Lister...Yorkshire and Lancashire.

Offline KLM

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 April 11 14:33 BST (UK) »
Further to my last message,the wedding took place on 14/10/1844.
Also:-
Charles Lee of full age,bachelor,labourer of Swinton,father Benjamin/labourer
Elizabeth a minor,spinster of Swinton,father William a collier.
Both signed with their mark.

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 April 11 14:34 BST (UK) »
different time .. but same name ..... I have a Charles Lee that married an Elizabeth Stephenson at Doncaster Dec 1881
William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.