Author Topic: Jessie McKenzie Sutherland  (Read 14458 times)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Mckay Sutherland
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 18:08 GMT (UK) »
I'm still a little confused. In your first post you indicated that the Jesse Sutherland you are looking for was born in Sutherland. From looking at the passenger list entry that Susan found it says that Jesse was born in Caithness just as her marriage registration also says.

What information on Jesse do you have other than the marriage registration in BC?

Jacquie

Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie McKenzie Sutherland
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 March 11 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Jacquie,
I had a this all written out and all of a sudden it disappeared
So Here I go for the second time
Starting with the first Jessie as I have so many
Jessie McKay Gordon ( mother ) born 1812 M Alexander McKenzie
Daughter Janet ( Jessie ) McKenzie b 1840
Daughter Jessie McKay Sutherland b 1864

in 1861 census Janet ( Jessie ) is living at home under the name of Jessie McKenzie (not Sutherland )on the bottom of the census is Roberta McKenzie daughter B 1860 and  Angus Sutherland grandson b 1860.......................... So I found the births of these two little ones lucky on the one page scotlands people so I got 2 for the price of one and found mother and daughter were pregnant together ..Mother 48 Roberta's and Angus mother Jessie father John Sutherland .I found the marriage of Jessie to John Sutherland 1859. They went on to have 8 children one named  Jessie McKay Sutherland  born 1864.I began to think did the first Jessie  die and they had another naming her Jessie McKenzie Sutherland this would make her mother 49 years old a late birth like her own mother as familysearch have Jessie McKenzie Sutherland's parents as John Sutherland and Jessie McKenzie .Hope you can follow this
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 00:17 GMT (UK) »
I found a marriage for Jessie McKay Sutherland, domestic servant, daughter of John Sutherland, coachman and Jessie McKenzie to Robert Munro, police constable, son of Donald Munro, gameskeeper and Mary Sims (deceased) in St. George, Edinburgh on 2 Jun 1892. So definitely not two daughters named Jessie born to John Sutherland and Jessie McKenzie. Jessie McKay Munro, wife of Robert Munro, police constable, daughter of John Sutherland, coachman and Jessie McKenzie died 7 May 1898 at the Royal Asylum in Edinburgh.

From the 1881 Scotland census at House Roadside, Swiney, Lathon, Caithness:

Jessie Sutherland, 37, born Helmsdale, Sutherland, wife of coachman
Jessie Sutherland, 16, born Helmsdale, Sutherlandshire
Maggie Sutherland, 11, born Latheron, Caithness
Alexander Sutherland, 10, born Latheron, Caithness
Minnie Sutherland, 8, born Latheron, Caithness
John Sutherland, 7, born Latheron, Caithness
Williamina Sutherland, 3, born Latheron, Caithness
Annie Sutherland, 5 months, born Latheron, Caithness

At ScotlandsPeople there is a birth for a Jessie Sutherland (illegitimate) who was born 28 Nov 1886 in the Village of Swiney. Her mother was Jessie Sutherland (domestic servant).

To me it seems likely that Jessie (born 1865) had an illegitmate daughter named Jessie who was then raised by her grandparents John Sutherland and Jessie McKenzie. If Jessie (born 1886) was raised by her grandparents she may have listed them as her parents on documents.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank You
Jacquie
I will have a look for Jessie born 1886 birth in scotlandspeople

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I have just got the birth of Jessie
illagitimate daughter of Jessie Sutherland
I have also gone into 1891 census and found the family
You are right little Jessie is with them along with some more that might be illagitimate
John Sutherland 49 Head Coachman
Jessie Sutherland wife 47
Alexander Sutherland son 19 Draper
John Sutherland son 15 Scholar
Williamina Sutherland Daur 12 scholar
Annie Sutherland daur 8 scholar
Ina Sutherland daur 4
Jessie Sutherland daur 4
all born Latheron
Elizabeth

Offline cccarson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Here's a little more to add to the mystery of Jessie.

I spoke via email with one of the reference folks at the New Westminster Public Library, and I think the reason no one can find Jessie's death is she wasn't recorded as a Gunn.

Here's the response I got, which really made me go .... hmmmmmm

In the Fraser Cemetery records there is a BUDGE, Jessie Gunn who was buried under the name of BUDGE, Jessie Sutherland .  There are 2 records of Budge, Jessie Sutherland.  They are as follows:

BUDGE, Jessie Sutherland..<SOUTH>.. Jessie Sutherland/ Budge / Born Caithness, Scot. / Died / Jan15, 1914. Aged 72 years

BUDGE, Jessie Sutherland..<NORTH>.. Jessie Gunn / Wife of John Budge 155-1896 / Christine E Budge / 1890-1965

I Do Believe I Will Believe
That Jesus Died for Me

..<EAST> .. Margaret A / Daughter of John and Jessie / Budge/ 1884-1901

It looks to me like the first Jessie is the mother and the second Jessie would be the younger one who repoertedly marries David Gunn. Trouble is, the second Jessie here dies in 1896 at 43, which is not possible for your Jessie.

Are we certain that the Jessie you are looking for is the same one who marries David Gunn? Jessie McKay Sutherland is really quite different from Jessie Mackenzie Sutherland.

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 16:01 GMT (UK) »
According to BC Death records on the pilot family search site, the Jessie Sutherland Budge who died at age 72 in 1914 was single and the daughter of Donald Budge and Annie Nichol.

Susan

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 17:06 GMT (UK) »
This has happened twice to me lately on this thread
Looks like Jessie does not want to be found
I had a letter written here and its gone somewhere but not to rootschat so will try again

First of all as suggested by Jacquie I amended the subject to the correct name ...Jessie McKenzie Sutherland ...
she was the illegitimate daughter of Jessie McKay Sutherland born 1886 .
Jessie McKenzie Sutherland was brought up by her grandparents John Sutherland a coachman and his wife Jessie McKenzie we think as she is with them in 1891 census as a daughter aged 4
So I think we are on the right track

In familysearch she is married to David Gunn living in Canada and shows her parents as John Sutherland and Jessie McKenzie you have given me the information on David so its back to Jessie .
Elizabeth

Offline cccarson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Whew. I love family mysteries ;)

Second letter from the NWPL regarding the graves in Fraser Cemetery.

Hi Chris,

I received a call from the caretaker who went out to look at the stones and confirmed there is no Jessie Gunn buried next to David Alexander Gunn at Fraser Cemetery.

The unfortunate thing about some of the cemeteries in New West from the era is that some are no longer there, and records are sparse about the ones that are gone. I'll keep digging, I'm sure she will turn up somewhere under one of the names or another....