Author Topic: Thomas & Joseph Mervyn  (Read 16325 times)

Offline daisymershum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas & Joseph Mervyn
« on: Thursday 07 January 10 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Doing some research on my extended Mervyn family. Don't know much about these guys, possible brothers of my great grand father, William Mervyn, Dublin, Ireland.

Thomas and Joseph Mervyn don't show up in the 1911 Ireland Census so I was wondering if they might have emigrated to Britain or beyond in the early 1900s?

Thomas Mervyn - only information I have is that he married in north Dublin, 1888.
Joseph Mervyn - only information I have is that he married in north Dublin, 1899.

Both born in Dublin circa 1860-1875.

Could be down as Mervin.

Thanks.

Offline Martin M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas & Joseph Mervyn
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 March 11 07:46 GMT (UK) »
I have reason to believe Thomas was my great grandfather. He had a son called William who later went to Belfast. I am trying my best to track him down and his family tree. I would be grateful if you would be able to help me.

Offline Martin M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 March 11 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Presumable there would records of them being married! If I may ask what is your relationship to them. Not everyone may have been in that census in tose days? Martin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 March 11 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps if you can tell us the details you have for Thomas and Joseph we might be able to find them somewhere- such as names of their wives, any known children, links to 1901 census. etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline johnjensen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 March 11 23:57 GMT (UK) »
From a free search on
www.rootsireland.ie
I can see they have a marriage record for a Thomas Mervyn in 1888 in St Pauls Arran Quay RC parish.  I can also see that his father's name is William. You can buy the full transcript for €5.

There is a marriage in 1898, with bride's father's name William, listed on
www.irishgenealogy.ie
of Josephine Mervyn of 4 Summerhill Parade to a Francis Flynn of Richmond Cottages, where they are living for the 1901 census.  Also in the 1901 are John and Christopher Mervyn living at 4 Summerhill.  This family is originally from Kildare and those 3 children's births and 3 others (Margaret, Bridget and Anne Marie) are listed in rootsireland.ie, with mother's name Bridget Dunne also shown in the Ireland Births & Baptisms collection on www.familysearch.org.  But there is no sign of a birth of a Thomas or Joseph, so perhaps this is the family of a different William Mervyn to Thomas's father.  Or maybe you recognise some of these names?

Probably useful for you to buy the marriage record from 1888.

Offline Martin M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 March 11 15:00 GMT (UK) »
It is a coincidence that my grandfather had 3 daughters called Margaret, Bridget and Anne. I will know more today. Thank you for your help. It all looks promising. My grandfather William was born in Dublin in 1889. Martin M

Offline Martin M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 March 11 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Mervyn had an only son called William (also Thomas' father's name). William moved to Belfast and married Kathleen. He was born in Dublin in 1889. Can anyone help me with tracing the son of Thomas. Martin

Offline johnjensen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 March 11 01:36 GMT (UK) »
That helps. I can now see Thomas, wife Margaret and 12 year old son William in Belfast in 1901:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Falls/Murdocks_Street/951955/
Re-checking the 1888 Dublin marriage on rootsireland.ie bears out that Margaret was the brides first name.  You need to buy the record to get her surname.

By 1911, Margaret is a widow:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Falls__Belfast_/Elizabeth_Street/180817/
Here's Thomas' death register index entry

name:   Thomas Mervyn
registration district:   Belfast
event type:   DEATHS
registration quarter and year:   Oct - Dec 1902
estimated birth year:   1860
age (at death):   42
volume number:   1
page number:   196

Offline Martin M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 March 11 10:01 GMT (UK) »
This is my great grandfather Thomas Mervyn born in 1860. Very pleased to have traced those roots. Thank you for your help. This is very helpful. This is the most further back I have got. However I still need help. I am now trying to find Thomas Mervyn my great grandfather who was born in Dublin in 1860. Research suggests he had a brother called Joseph. This information is unconfirmed. He was a shoemaker. Please would somebody help. Martin