Author Topic: Anyone have a copy of 'The Buffs' by Ponsonby?  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anyone have a copy of 'The Buffs' by Ponsonby?
« on: Tuesday 22 March 11 12:51 GMT (UK) »
It's a long shot, but I'm hoping someone may have a copy of West Kent (Q.O.) Yeomanry, and 10th (Yeomanry) Battallion The Buffs, 1914-1919 by Charles Edward Ponsonby (sadly I can't afford the £100 for my own copy).

Some while ago I was told that my Grandfather - quote ' ... is listed in Ponsonby as having having joined B Company 10th Buffs after 1st March 1917.   He is shown as having served in Palestine and France and as being wounded on the Somme in September 1918'. 

The person who gave me this information promised to photocopy the relevant page/s, but sadly died before they were able to do and thus, I am no further forward.

If by some chance, someone has a copy (or knows where I could look at one), I'm trying to find the entry/mention of my Grandfather Pte. G23600 Edward L. French.   I have tried the 'obvious' places, library, Buffs Museum et.al. but with no luck.

I do have his medal card, luckily most of his fire-damaged service record and am currently working my way though 'The Buffs' by R.S. Moody

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have a copy of 'The Buffs' by Ponsonby?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 March 11 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Have you thought of the inter library loan scheme?  Ask at your library, you should be able to find one that way that you could look at.

WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 11 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Different book or is this the same as the one you are currently reading  ::), possibly though this could be of interest, and it could well be out of copyright but perhaps there's copies in some of the National Libraries...

Historical records of the Buffs: East Kent Regiment (3rd foot) formerly designated the Holland Regiment and Prince George of Denmark's Regiment, 1914-1919
R. S. H. Moody
The Medici Society, Limited, 1922 - History - 554 pages

(I don't have a copy, but I was on goggle looking at ebooks to try to answer a question on my current thread here at RChat !)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 March 11 09:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your efforts.   Majm - that's the book I'm ploughing through at the moment - all 554 pages of it! - it seems to be the only copy in Kent libraries (normally held at Snodland if anyone else needs it).

As for the inter-library loan, I have tried but drew a blank - mind you it's probably worth another go, when I asked at our local library if they had Microsoft Access on their computers the reply I got was 'Access to what?::)

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 March 11 09:41 BST (UK) »
As for the inter-library loan, I have tried but drew a blank - mind you it's probably worth another go, when I asked at our local library if they had Microsoft Access on their computers the reply I got was 'Access to what?'

Oops! librarian in need of through training. LOL
WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.