Author Topic: Fornication and baptism  (Read 21269 times)

Offline nainmaddie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fornication and baptism
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 March 11 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seoras

I found a whole raft of " begotten in fornication " in a parish on Anglesey, Wales.  They were all illegitmate !!
The only time the vicar changed it slightly was when the said father died before the child was born.

It was down to the local vicar to decide if he felt that  "begotten in fornication " was deemed necessary !

Nainmaddie
Jefferiss,Hodges,Gill, Cornwell, Stallibrass,Shirreff, Foulkes (CAE) Foulke(DEN ) Roberts, Owen,Morgans, Jones++ Jenkins,Williams

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 March 11 13:11 GMT (UK) »

I have read that in some areas it was common for the woman to be pregnant at the time of the marriage - possibly to prove that she could actually have children??

I've heard that, too - and not just in Scotland.  I believe there's somewhere in Sweden or Norway where it's a prerequisite for marriage that the bride-to-be must be pregnant, or the groom-to-be can legally postpone or cancel the wedding.
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 March 11 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Ah I see an early form of test drive.Though in my original post he had been testing for 3 years and proved it worked twice :)
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 March 11 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Ah I see an early form of test drive.

Wasn't that a practice in Ireland too?  To make sure, as Deb suggested, that the lady was fertile enough to bear children !!

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 March 11 13:37 GMT (UK) »
These are the days when it was always the 'ladies' fault if there were no babies.  ;D

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 March 11 13:41 GMT (UK) »
I believe the term is still used in parts of the Western Isles, no doubt after they had segregated the cocks from the hens to ensure they do not fornicate on the Sabbath!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 March 11 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi George

On a recent thread it was stated that the Church was usually willing to baptise infants, whatever the circumstances of their birth.  Presumably those born out of wedlock were deemed to be in even greater need of 'saving'?

Linda

Under Ecclesiastical Law,  a minister could not  refuse, or delay to baptise any child.
" Canon 68: No minister shall refuse or delay to christen any child, according to the form of the Book of Common Prayer, that is brought to the church to him upon Sundays or holy days to be christened (convenient warning being given him thereof before) in such manner and form as is prescribed in the Book of Common Prayer; and if he shall refuse to christen, he shall be suspended by the bishop of the diocese from his ministry by the space of three months."
Today the requirements for the baptism of infants are now in Canons B21 to B23. If the requirements are met, the minister must baptise the child. If he declines or unduly delays, the parents or guardians may apply to the bishop for his direction.

Stan

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 March 11 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Well as I said they had already done the same 3 years earlier (see below) and I suppose I should be glad they had another go as the second one is my line.Can't find a marriage or any other kids for these two though,perhaps they were banished ;D

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 24 March 11 17:53 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Google cant find an  appropriate advert for this thread :) :) :) :) :)

Mazi's oh