Author Topic: Grace Darling Link?  (Read 6880 times)

Offline Jdmurphy1987

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grace Darling Link?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 20:05 BST (UK) »
I have recently found out I am related to grace darling on my grandmothers side she's a great aunt a few times over of my grandmas I'm doing my family tree and I have no clue were to place her its actually hurting my brain lol

Offline portybelle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 October 17 09:34 BST (UK) »
I have recently found out I am related to grace darling on my grandmothers side she's a great aunt a few times over of my grandmas I'm doing my family tree and I have no clue were to place her its actually hurting my brain lol

That's great that you've found a real link and not just a family legend! Good luck putting it all together.
East Lothian/Midlothian
Cowe, Cameron, Storie/Storey, Powell,
McCaskell, Kane/Cain, Howden, Duncan

For OH: East Lothian Ayrshire
Baird, Kyle, Reilly, Routledge
Mackie,Wallace, Wood, Dickson, Burrell, Brown, Darling

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 October 17 09:52 BST (UK) »

How far have you managed to get back?  What names do you have (without mentioning anyone living)?

Mo

Offline Di McKee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 05:34 BST (UK) »
our family are connected through the Morell family. There is a brooch that belonged to Grace Darling that was handed from eldest niece to eldest niece -  After my great aunt had it it was to come to my mother then to her eldest niece, my cousin on mum's demise. Sadly the bequest was not followed through from my great aunts family.

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 October 18 20:36 BST (UK) »
My GGGrandmother was, allegedly, Grace Darling's cousin. In the beginning I knew nothing about names or locations but have managed to trace lineage back to the point where the two girls were contemporaries in locations that were just a few miles apart and almost certainly knew each other. Grace was in Bamburgh and my ggGrandmother was in Detchant near Belford at the same time. Grace gave my ggGrandmother an artefact from the Forfarshire which is still in the family. I have never managed to make the final link between the families but have several examples of the Darlings and Swans (ggGrandmother's family) on neighbouring farms and in each others houses on censuses.

The definitive work on the Darling tree is attributable to John Elkin and is available, or used to be, on this link. Maybe it will help you.

http://freespace.virgin.net/john.elkin/darling001.htm#grace

Grace died young without issue so there are no direct descendants. Connections with her tend to be rather convoluted, as I have discovered.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 October 18 21:39 BST (UK) »
Slightly off Topic but during the summer we were on holiday in the Northeast and went on a birding trip to the Farne Islands and the captain of the ship was telling the story of Grace Darling, but because of the noise of the waves I thought he was talking about grey starlings. True story.

Martin

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 October 18 10:54 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=785196.0

Perhaps you might find it helpful to contact the lady who started this thread.

She was trying to help out a descendant of James Darling a sibling of Grace. 

You never know, since you and this descendant are connected to Grace you possibly might be able to help each other out.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner