Author Topic: Dovercourt, Essex  (Read 2593 times)

Offline dargie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dovercourt, Essex
« on: Friday 25 March 11 06:04 GMT (UK) »
This is my first post so hopefully I am in the right section.

My relatives lived mainly in Suffolk however I have come to a brick wall at the birth of my 3xgreat grandfather in 1758.
That took place in Earl Stonham,Suffolk but there is no sign of his parents in surrounding villages.
Many members of the family ended up in Essex but the main reason for my thought that they may have come from Dovercourt is because their family home in Suffolk was called "Dovercourt"
If anyone has access to Dovercourt registers I would be grateful if they could check for any family named WARREN prior to 1758.
Many thanks.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dovercourt, Essex
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 March 11 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi dargie and welcome to Rootschat!
Would it be possible for you to let us have a few more details of the person(s) you are looking for, such as full name and names of spouse, children etc?  There are some brilliant people on here who are really good at tracking information down and helping others.

Interestingly,  part of my family came from around the Earl Stonham area, but some of them ended up in Dovercourt!

Regards,
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dargie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 March 11 08:44 GMT (UK) »
The first name of my Earl Stonham ancestor is Thomas WARREN married to Elizabeth MARSH
My query was actually to ascertain if there were any Warren families in Dovercourt prior to 1758.
I do realize the importance of giving as much info as possible.  However I do not have any names of possible Dovercourt WARREN families.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 March 11 22:20 GMT (UK) »
I'll see if I can find anything for you.  currently I am restricted in my broadband so please bear with me, but once I have it up and running, I will check on Ancestry and on my own tree and see if I can find anything out for you.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dargie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 March 11 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much.   

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 July 17 02:00 BST (UK) »
Hi team

I know this is an ancient thread but I'm wondering if anything came of Thomas WARREN.  It's possible he is also MY Thomas of Earl Stonham.

Bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 July 17 14:33 BST (UK) »
There's some Dovercourt transcriptions on www.freereg.org.uk

Burial:
28 Oct 1746. Thomas Warren

Marriage:
27 May 1776
Amos Warren, bachelor, of Dovercourt
Hannah Licence, spinster, of same
Witnesses: James Squier, John Cole.
By banns

There are Dovercourt transcriptions on my website although a bit too late for yours, I think: http://essexandsuffolksurnames.co.uk/parish-register-transcriptions/essex/dovercourt-all-saints/

If you are very curious about Dovercourt, it's worth getting a short subscription for Essex Ancestors so you can look through the parish register online. I will warn you though - the scans haven't been done very large so the writing is tiny and awkward to read!

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 July 17 17:38 BST (UK) »
If you are very curious about Dovercourt, it's worth getting a short subscription for Essex Ancestors so you can look through the parish register online. I will warn you though - the scans haven't been done very large so the writing is tiny and awkward to read!

I complained to Essex RO about the scans of the Dovercourt registers some years back but was told "there was nothing wrong with them".  Interestingly, other registers I subsequently made a complaint about for the same reason were rescanned.  Seems to have depended on who answered the email for the response given, either that or later on they had received a number of other complaints.  I have Dovercourt on microfiche, which aren't particularly good quality but are easier to read than the colour scans on the website. ::)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 July 17 18:02 BST (UK) »
It is most annoying! It's the first half of the alphabet that I find problematic, as if they scanned them first, then someone went "Hang about, I can barely read these!" so they changed the way they scanned them for the parishes later in the alphabet.

Great Clacton is quite a challenge!