Author Topic: Doak, Rogers, Dunlop  (Read 32945 times)

Offline jeanetteg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Doak, Rogers, Dunlop
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 01 January 12 04:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I was just researching my Mum's cousin who is Eric Roger Doak from Kirwee, Christchurch, New Zealand, who has just died (30.12.2011 aged 89) and found this website and, I am both on the Doak and Dunlop family trees.

I am from Christchurch, NZ and have been going to the Doak family picnics for most of my life and am keen to know more of my family tree.

Jeanette

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 01 January 12 05:30 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year!  We still have about 3 hours to go. 

Reading from the booklet "Job Doak of Fernside"  by Helen Halliwell of Christchurch, Robert Doak went to Lyttlelton in 1883.  3 years later he married Mary Glassie at Belfast and died there Mar 13, 1949.  He was a soap maker and milkman at different times. 

Ann Jane Doak m. Boyd McCleary and received at least 2 pictures from her brother of his family.  The originals are held by her grandson in Ireland along with many unidentified pictures.  The picture of the medical soldier may be from the grandson's wife's family collection.  I'd be glad to send the 2, several of Ann jane Doak,  or send all the pictures with as much ID as I can guess at.  Perhaps someone there can recognize folks. 

John Doak (emig 1863)of Wakanui is also closely related to my family through the Christchurch Wilsons.  He was said to be a cousin of Job and had brothers in Amsterdam, NY where my McCLearys went.  We also had other Doak marriages.  I'm not sure whose reunion you go to.  The booklet is very helpful for separating out the Co. Down Doaks from others.  There is also a booklet on John.

I'd be glad to help out with the Irish tree, but Doak lines are tough as several families named children the same names. As they didn't keep track of birth years as we do, separating families is very hard.  I can send Newmills and Knocknamuckley records that will help you see the original data and you can join in the best guessing.

Offline jeanetteg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 01 January 12 06:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

My name is Jeanette Gregan and am a granddaughter of Sir William Dunlop, daughter of Judith Dunlop.  I am too very excited to find out all this information, no doubt you will have heard about Eric's death on Friday, he was such a character and will be sadly missed.

Jeanette

Offline jeanetteg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 01 January 12 06:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kat

Any information that you could send would be great, (am not sure how to share personal info so if you could advise that would be great).  Also I have just found out that my Pastor's wife is related to a Dorothy Doak nee Ayers who lived in Rangiora (I would assume born in the early 1900's), do you have any information related to her, I could find out her husbands name but as it seems there were several Doak families and it may be no relation.

Thanks very much for your reply I really appreciate it, where abouts do you fit in on the family tree?

Happy New Year!  We still have about 3 hours to go. 

Reading from the booklet "Job Doak of Fernside"  by Helen Halliwell of Christchurch, Robert Doak went to Lyttlelton in 1883.  3 years later he married Mary Glassie at Belfast and died there Mar 13, 1949.  He was a soap maker and milkman at different times. 

Ann Jane Doak m. Boyd McCleary and received at least 2 pictures from her brother of his family.  The originals are held by her grandson in Ireland along with many unidentified pictures.  The picture of the medical soldier may be from the grandson's wife's family collection.  I'd be glad to send the 2, several of Ann jane Doak,  or send all the pictures with as much ID as I can guess at.  Perhaps someone there can recognize folks. 

John Doak (emig 1863)of Wakanui is also closely related to my family through the Christchurch Wilsons.  He was said to be a cousin of Job and had brothers in Amsterdam, NY where my McCLearys went.  We also had other Doak marriages.  I'm not sure whose reunion you go to.  The booklet is very helpful for separating out the Co. Down Doaks from others.  There is also a booklet on John.

I'd be glad to help out with the Irish tree, but Doak lines are tough as several families named children the same names. As they didn't keep track of birth years as we do, separating families is very hard.  I can send Newmills and Knocknamuckley records that will help you see the original data and you can join in the best guessing.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 01 January 12 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

It would pay to remove you email to avoid spam,it also not RC policy to put your email on the board.
You can use the PM system to swap email addys

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Cheers Janette

Offline jeanetteg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 01 January 12 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Oh right, am new to all this, thanks for that.

Jeanette

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 01 January 12 10:19 GMT (UK) »

Also I have just found out that my Pastor's wife is related to a Dorothy Doak nee Ayers who lived in Rangiora (I would assume born in the early 1900's), do you have any information related to her, I could find out her husbands name but as it seems there were several Doak families and it may be no relation.

Hello Jeanetteg

Re:  Dorothy DOAK  (nee AYERS) ... just a few snippets from various indexes.   Will leave you to establish if there's a connection to the other DOAKs.  ;)

Ida Dorothy AYERS - wife of William Ellesmere DOAK.
[William E. was a farmer at Irwell in 1938 and later years.  At time of his death (1983), he was resident at Leeston.]

NZ Birth

1904 - DOAK - William Ellesmere
s/o Mary Elizabeth and William George DOAK

Marriage

Mary Elizabeth QUIGLEY - William George DOAK -- 1892

Deaths

1983 - DOAK - William Ellesmere - d.o.b.  11 May 1904
1994 - DOAK - Ida Dorothy - d.o.b. 22 September 1911
------------------------

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz

"Ellesmere Guardian" - 4 August 1933 - Wedding

.... a Miss D. AYERS is mentioned in the article of the DOAK wedding.

~  Lu

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 01 January 12 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Your pastor's wife is from the family of James of Leeston, son of John Doak and Mary Donaldson,  and Ellen Daly.  James m. Ellen Daly and had son William George,  father of William Ellesmere.  John was a shoemaker and I think Belfast has been mentioned for him, but Job's family thought he was a cousin of some sort  of Job.   Ellen Daly was from Co. Armagh and went to NZ specifically to marry James, which supports the idea of a connection.  Job's parents were John Doak and Nancy McDowell of Ballynagarrick, but the records before that are gone.  Possibly John, the elder at Newmills, could have been his father. 

Margaret Atkinson was a widowed sister of James and emigrated with him eventually to Christchurch where she married William Cole. 

It would be wonderful to tie these families into the Ballynagarrick tree, but I don't think the information is available. 

I will send a Pm- personal message with an address. 

Offline Suew4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 05 January 12 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

My name is Jeanette Gregan and am a granddaughter of Sir William Dunlop, daughter of Judith Dunlop.  I am too very excited to find out all this information, no doubt you will have heard about Eric's death on Friday, he was such a character and will be sadly missed.

Jeanette
hi Jeanette, lovely to meet you again today tho a very sad occasion . We'd meet several times tho only knew your first name really. My original search online was for
- Doak, Dunlop, Rogers, as thought this covered most bases on my Dads side. Would love to keep in touch as am very aware how much your family group were also a big part of Eric and Dads lives. I'd love to join the dots a bit more in the family tree- time is so precious just now,so hanging on to retirement in just a few years to enable me to put more into this!
Am part of a planning group for mums family reunion next year which is exciting and opens up another whole world of relationships!
How on earth did families keep accurate records in the past? Seems almost impossible today, even with all our technology!
Love to your Whanau, I left pretty early today as not too well.
Love Susan