Author Topic: Schwerin - Stalag IIE  (Read 6187 times)

Offline DPT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Schwerin - Stalag IIE
« on: Friday 25 March 11 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

Does anyone have any information about Stalag II E, which was liberated 2nd May 1945? Who liberated the camp, who was held there, are there any pictures available perhaps once it was liberated? There does not appear to be any useful information on this camp as far as I can see on the internet.

Many Thanks as alaways.

DPT

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Schwerin - Stalag IIE
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 March 11 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Not a lot on IIE from I.R.C.C. at the end of January 1945.

Position 53:38N - 11:22E. 1929 British and 939 US P.O.W. arrived from E Germany. No negative Nos given as there is with several other Camps in the Document.
Prisoners of War. North Africa,Italy and Germany

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 March 11 18:13 GMT (UK) »
You may find this snippet helpful (my German is extremely poor, you can cut and paste the text into Google translate):

http://www.buergerhaus-rostock.de/pdf/Tafel_Schwerin_2.pdf

As to who would have liberated the camp, the most likely candidates are the Russians considering they operated on that front.

K

Offline VANMA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 January 17 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello. Hoping that you are all still out there as I also have an interest in this camp. Particularly I'd like to know the link to Drönnewitz (was it classed as a sub camp?).

In respect of repatriation, my grandfather was held here. There is video footage of him being flown home at the end of Kate Hubble's "who do you think you are". There may be others there also

Offline tim091

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 September 19 10:03 BST (UK) »
Yes, a very old thread(!) but my relative, Richard Farnden  1/5 Queens Royals, was there briefly: March 17 1945 - April 5 1945.

Offline tim091

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 08:05 BST (UK) »
I am reading Renegades by Adrian Weale which is about the British traitors in WW2 (Joyce, Cole etc.) and the formation of the BFC.

In it he mentions several times that some of the BFC were sent to the "punishment camp at Schwerin, Mecklenberg". I am not sure if this was the stalag for allied POW's or perhaps a different camp at the same location for German (as the BFC part of the SS).

Offline tim091

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 November 20 19:11 GMT (UK) »
I am reading Renegades by Adrian Weale which is about the British traitors in WW2 (Joyce, Cole etc.) and the formation of the BFC.

In it he mentions several times that some of the BFC were sent to the "punishment camp at Schwerin, Mecklenberg". I am not sure if this was the stalag for allied POW's or perhaps a different camp at the same location for German (as the BFC part of the SS).

UPDATE: the punishment camp for German soldiers was not the same place. It was near Schwerin.

Still trying to find out why my relative was there for a short period (he was liberated from there but can't find out how he got there - was it part of the March or was he just transferred there?).