Author Topic: Thomson's & Tulloch's  (Read 9840 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomson's & Tulloch's
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 July 17 09:24 BST (UK) »
Norh Ronaldsay had a partial clearance post the 1840's Famine. Its Traill laird had the land squared & surplus population moved off the island. My own ancestors were moved to Eday!

Skoosh.

Offline Morven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi David

My grandmother's name was Catherine Campbell. She came from a very tiny place called Auchlunachan.

Regards

Morven

Offline davidr970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Morven

Thanks for the information,

Do you have any links with North Ronaldsay or have all our relatives gone to places far and wide?

Have you been looking into the family links for long?

Thanks

David

Offline PipB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 15:24 BST (UK) »
The North Ronaldsay TULLOCHs are probably impossible to sort out in the years pre-census returns. My four-greats-grandmother was a Christina TULLOCH from North Ronaldsay who married Robert SLATER/SLATTER/SCLATER of Sanday. There is a likely baptism for Christina, baptised on North Ronaldsay but written in the Sanday Parish registers. This is what I have written on the search for my TULLOCH ancestors:
That possible 1781 baptismal record for Christiana TULLOCH, despite naming her parents as Thomas and Christiana TULLOCH, does not, unfortunately, mention the house in North Ronaldsay where they lived. TULLOCH was possibly the most common surname on North Ronaldsay then (and still now), and the range of given names in use was limited too. 
Interestingly, in the year of her birth there was a major shipwreck, that of the East India trader, “Grevinde Schlemningen” on 20th December 1781 on North Ronaldsay . Of the total North Ronaldsay population of somewhere around 400 people, at least eight different men called Thomas TULLOCH were among the local residents who rallied and helped to salvage and guard the cargo in the ensuing months. They were from the houses of Westness, Longar, Midhouse (2 x Thomas) and Sennes at the north end of North Ronaldsay; and from Gerback (now Gerbo) and Gravity on the east coast. Additionally, about the middle of 1782, mention is made of an eighth Thomas TULLOCH, this one living at Dishar, who helped with his boat and 5 men from Dishar. With such a profusion of possible fathers for Christiana the search becomes an impossible maze!
Alex and I visited North Ronaldsay in 2018. One of the smaller islands of Orkney, and the most northern of those inhabited, it is only 690 hectares in size . It is a low, wind and wave-swept isle, surrounded by strong tides and rocky reefs. The population at its height in 1881 was 547; but has now dwindled to a mere 50 to 60 people that call North Ronaldsay home in 2018. Alex and I visited most of the houses listed above as we explored the island end to end – the current condition of the buildings varied widely, from a mound of rock in the corner of a field to well-maintained dwellings still in use today.