Author Topic: ID Census numbers  (Read 1082 times)

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
ID Census numbers
« on: Thursday 10 June 04 09:59 BST (UK) »
I recently posted a query about ID numbers on the 1901 census - I couldn't find the link,  After perservering I found it today from a message posted by Janet B

I would like to add a couple of interesting sites:

http://150.101.237.154/1901/

.......If you don't want to spend a fortune all at once, but can't wait to get the data, you can find out who is related to whom for free by using the personal ID number which can be viewed by placing the mouse over the highlighted name and right clicking. People with consecutive ID nos probably live in the same house (to study the number in a more leisurely fashion you can import the data into a Programme such as Front Page and strip all the code to be left with just the name & number)
I haven't tried it yet but hope it may help in finding my missing Elizabeth MALLARD

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re:ID Census numbers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 June 04 12:00 BST (UK) »
I have tried to use these instructions, but to no avail, just didn't work.  So emailed the site to ask for more information, have had an email response from the site -
"I have been informed that the PRO have made changes to the way their website works. I can no longer get the ID number in the previous form ...I will change the page asap"
oops.... ???
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re:ID Census numbers
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 June 04 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Newbie,

I tried that and it didn't work.  

I am not sure, but I believe they changed the format, since the tip on that site  was posted.

What does work, is the Census Decoder for 1901.  You can add names to a list, and sort by page number. This is not fool-proof, but in general, families were entered together on a page, although there are exceptions, where one family is carried on into the next page.  
The Census-Decoder does not give the actual census page numbers, but an ID for a page number, which can change between sessions.

I have found "my" Colemans doing this.
i.e.
Find Colemans 13 +/- 3, "Process Search"
Find Colemans 40 +/- 10 "Process Search"
"Show Results", Sort by Page ID
Having found three Colemans in St John, I then cleared results, and searched for Colemans living in St John and found "my" family of 4 !!
Jubilation all day long !!

The decoder can be downloaded from

http://www.censusdecoder.com

p.s. just went to the site, and found this comment:

21st March 2004.
The Person ID's are still not decipherable although the Page ID's can now be grouped to give some sort of useful unformation.
The PRO, I am sure, would love to be deluged with your comments.
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)