Author Topic: Anyone Near Renfrewshire that can help me?  (Read 10600 times)

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Near Renfrewshire that can help me?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 April 11 17:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I don't know what religion they were.  I Just have not been able to locate anything on the Mother Charlott Cathcart or Walter Cathcart.  Other than the Death mention for Walter.  I really appreciate you doing that for me.  It is so hard to find out anything when they are not in the Census starting 1841.  I can tell you that I believe Walters Parents were Robert Baird and Mary Baird.  But I am not 100%.  Thanks again
Elliot, Mullen, Colquhoun, Smith, Moore, Coleman, Marshall, Hall, Dale, Galbraith, Cathcart, Gibson, Taylor, Lawson McGeachie, Caldwell

Scotland, West Lothian  Lanarkshire, Paisley, Glasgow,  Ireland,  Armagh, Donegal

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 April 11 18:11 BST (UK) »
Mirrin Cathedral is a Roman Catholic Cathedral  the current building was erected in the early 1800s and was one of the first Roman Catholic churches built since the Reformation.

The entries for the children appear in the Old Parish registers of the Church of Scotland which makes it more than likely that the family were Presbyterian rather than Roman Catholic

Offline WILLIAM 1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
brown family mcclinton (and variants), mcfarlane, buchanan,murray,caskie(and variants) hay family. mcpherson family.mckenzie.whiteside.nichol

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 April 11 21:05 BST (UK) »
Yes, that is the family.   I am still searching for who Charlott's Parents were.   Walter died in 1839 but no record of Charlotts birth or death.  Thanks.
Elliot, Mullen, Colquhoun, Smith, Moore, Coleman, Marshall, Hall, Dale, Galbraith, Cathcart, Gibson, Taylor, Lawson McGeachie, Caldwell

Scotland, West Lothian  Lanarkshire, Paisley, Glasgow,  Ireland,  Armagh, Donegal

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 April 11 22:31 BST (UK) »
hi silk street and Smithhills are in paisley as you know.you dont say what religion they are unless i missed it there is the abbey as you know but there is a church called mirrin. that is where the st.mirren comes from it is on incl street in paisley . i think they have grave stones in there i will take a drive there tomorrow and have alook for you. as paisley is only 4 mins drive for me.you have to remember most people at that  time could not spell even the people doing the certificates. i have 6 different ways people have spelt mclintock from that time and caskie.. i hope this helps you

Yes, I am having trouble with spelling.  I have used scotlands people searching for Surname Varients, and trying different spellings.  I may not be doing something right.  I was unable to find another family name and I had searched the census on ancestry.  It took someone on roots web to locate him for me using scotlands people to find the entry.   There is a "Wedow" Cathcart in the 1941 census living with unknown names, but I can't see that as being her, but again leaves nothing to go on. Proves the spelling thou...LOL "WEDOW "  Who would have thought something should be listed like that!

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 April 11 22:34 BST (UK) »
Mirrin Cathedral is a Roman Catholic Cathedral  the current building was erected in the early 1800s and was one of the first Roman Catholic churches built since the Reformation.

The entries for the children appear in the Old Parish registers of the Church of Scotland which makes it more than likely that the family were Presbyterian rather than Roman Catholic

That makes sense. Thank you.  I am running into more Presbyterian than Catholic in my family. 

Offline WILLIAM 1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 03 April 11 10:20 BST (UK) »
i went to paisley this morning and had a look at st.mirin's cathedral and there is no grave yard at all. and it was built in 1931. so i went to the abbey as well but no grave yard as well outside.then i went to wallneuk north church as that is just down the road from silk street but that does not have a grave yard as well  but that was built in 1913.and woodside first burial was 1891. there are more cemeteries around paisley 
brown family mcclinton (and variants), mcfarlane, buchanan,murray,caskie(and variants) hay family. mcpherson family.mckenzie.whiteside.nichol

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 April 11 17:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you William for trying I do appreciate it.  Deb

Offline WILLIAM 1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 April 11 19:03 BST (UK) »
your very welcome