Author Topic: John PENDER  (Read 7182 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John PENDER
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 12:35 BST (UK) »
Does the marriage cert give any parental info?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline EmPea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 13:30 BST (UK) »

South African marriage certificates from that period do not have parental information.  I have his death notice from his Estate file and the parents details have been left blank.

Thank you Carole for your interest.

South Africa - Wessels/Vorster
South Africa - Behr/Toerien
South Africa - Pnematicatos/Chimato
Cornwall, England & South Africa - Hicks/Breach
Yorkshire & Durham, England & South Africa - Kenney/Hucks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 20:02 BST (UK) »
Only 3 John Pender census entries in his age range on the 1881 - 2 from Cornwall and one from Lancashire.  Even if you extend his birthyear to 1868/69 there are not many more

Problem is - with only an approx birth year and an occupation - which one was he??

The 1891 census is the only one that would help with an occupation/marital status but using 1870 +-2yrs only throws up the 3 mentioned in my reply above
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Deonfam

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 May 22 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Empea

I know your post was quite a while ago, so I hope this will help you and maybe we can help each other.
John Pender was my great grandfather and he married Johanna Chimato (Nee Gertenbach) she was a widow.
I have photographs of him and his mother Mary Rogers.
I must say that it was a struggle to find any information and it took quite a long time, but this is what I have found out.
Mary Rogers it seems was born on the 18 February 1856, in Aston, Birmingham, England and some how seem to of ended up in Cape Town, where she married John Pender( a sapper in the Royal Engineers) on the 2 October 1869 at the Holy Trinity Church in Cape Town. She was very young about 13 years old and I suspect pregnant. Her older sister Rebecca Rogers was present at the wedding and signed as witness ( Rebecca has a very distinctive signature).
I then found a birth certificate which states that a son was born to Mary Rogers and John Pender in Jan 1870 in Selkirk Str, Cape Town (whether this is the John Pender you are looking for I'm unsure as there is no child's name on the cert, but I suspect it is).
The next piece of evidence is that Mary Rogers and John Pender (Royal Eng) are pick up on the English sensors living in Sandgate, Kent in 1871(This is near the RE headquarters in Chatham) . Also on the sensors is Rebecca Rogers as the sister in law, but no child is mentioned which is puzzling, perhaps he was with other family members as his mother was so young, or he stayed in the Cape, but it is a bit of a mystery.
John Pender is stated on the 1871 sensors as still been in the R. E and birthplace Plymouth.
After this census I cannot find them anymore so I'm unsure what happened to John Pender parents.
Rebecca Rogers however did return to the Cape and first married a George Gregory and then a James Harvey who was much younger than her. If you look up the marriage certificates you will find she lied about her age as did Mary Rogers on hers.
There are some in of the older people in family that think his name was John Robert Pender ( the Blacksmith) but I haven't found anything that supports this.
If you have any other information I would appreciate it, if you need more I do have a profile on ancestry. com
Quick question how is your partner related to John Pender
Regards
Deon