Author Topic: Mansfield - Derbyshire in FindMyPast Parish records?  (Read 5320 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Mansfield - Derbyshire in FindMyPast Parish records?
« on: Tuesday 29 March 11 23:58 BST (UK) »
By accident I came across some of my Nottinghamshire relatives in the parish record collection on FindMyPast. Only having seen the free search results - can anyone tell me the reason why, for example, the marriage of Samuel CHADWIN in 1886 is recorded as in Mansfield, Derbyshire. Both Samuel and his wife Elizabeth Cook were from Notts (in 1881 & 1891), and I would have thought they were married in Notts. If it's the parish records why would it be under the wrong county, as Mansfield itself was never in Derbyshire? ???

Another question - what details would the full entry on FindMyPast give? Would it include fathers names, etc.? If so I'll have to consider getting a few credits...

Thanks,
Alexander

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Mansfield - Derbyshire in FindMyPast Parish records?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 00:44 BST (UK) »
hi,,,the record is for mansfield,notts,,,the source is from derbyshire,,,,and no parents are shown  ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 00:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks gortonboy. OK, so its organized like registration district I guess.

Alexander

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Alexander...Hi gortonboy....

I have also wondered why some of Nottinghamshire entries are covered by the Derbyshire Registrars index, seems it is some of the chapels, independents & register offices.....I have found some useful entries for my lines.

It is only an index so doesn't give any extra information other than place of event and year and the reference that would help the locate the certificate if you wished to buy from the relevant register office.

Samuel CHADWIN & Elizabeth COOKE - 1886 -  United Free Methodist Chapel, Mansfield.
Reg Office: Mansfield,Nottinghamshire  - Register Entry: MRO/11/015

I can't see this Chapel listed under the non conformist list from Nottinghamshire Archives...?
http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/home/leisure/archives/archivescollections/nonconformistregisters.htm

Sheila.

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 09:52 BST (UK) »
i have this

sylvia
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 10:15 BST (UK) »
Could it be that, as the marriage was Methodist, the relevant Methodist Circuit was based in Derbyshire?

I had that problem with some baptisms in North Devon, that were accredited to Kilkhampton Circuit - and Kilkhampton is in Cornwall!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hello....

I have a small book published by the "Old Mansfield Society" called "The Grace of God" by David Bradbury & Pauline Ashton....in it states The United Reformed (formerly Congregational ) Church - it descends from the Independent movement.

There had been a Chapel on Stockwell Gate and when the Rev Robert Weaver came to Mansfield the chapel moved to St John St up until his death in 1852; when members were divided over whether  to repair the existing building or build a new chapel - it was repaired. A new chapel was eventually built on Westgate and opened on 11th June 1878

The link shows a picture of the Church, although doesn't give much detail....in the book I mentioned it has a similar photo which says " Westgate Congregational (United reformed) church before its spire was removed".
The old chapel was finally closed with a special service in 1981 and demolished a year later.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCW002259&prevUrl=

I was mistaken when I said I couldn't find it mentioned in the non conformist list from Nottinghamshire Archives.... It seems the registers are the originals and have not been copied to microfiche.

MANSFIELD - WESTGATE CONGREGATIONAL / UNITED REFORM (NC IR 8
C 1885-1909 / M 1854-1975 / B 1857-1887 (1878 onwards in civil cemetery)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 18:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you all, especially Sheila for the extensive information about the chapel. It's good to know that Samuel & Elizabeth were in Mansfield when they got married - FindMyPast was making me think they married in Derbyshire.

Interestingly, since Samuel & Elizabeth had no children, after Elizabeth's death her things went to various family members - and it so happens that my nan (her great niece) received Elizabeth's wedding ring, which she still has.

Alexander

Offline Tuppie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Arnold Ridge Lee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 19:55 BST (UK) »
You won't find the deposited registers for non-conformist marriages.

Marriages
From 1837, marriages could take place in a local register office, instead of a church.
A new type of marriage register was introduced for all marriage ceremonies.
The Church of England, Jews and Quakers could conduct and register their own marriage ceremonies.
Other denominations (Methodists, Baptists, Unitarians etc) had to apply for their chapels to be licensed to conduct marriages and could only conduct a ceremony there if a Registrar was also present, in addition to the minister, to record the events in a Register Office marriage register.
The register will show the name of the chapel
This did not change till 1898.
LEE, ROSE, Mosborough/Eckington<br />TREWEEK, HARDWICK.Cornwall/Derbyshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
www.sheffieldindexers.com