Author Topic: McDowell/Patterson  (Read 13431 times)

Offline Jamesf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McDowell/Patterson
« Reply #27 on: Friday 08 June 18 13:36 BST (UK) »
I would love to find more about James' parents but I can find no record of a marriage between Jane McDowall and Robert Patterson.
Ferguson, Carmichael, Patterson, Carruthers, Phimister, Jolly

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 11:04 BST (UK) »
If James was born around 1846 it's likely that his parents were married before 1845 which is the start for civil registration of non-Catholic marriages. There may or may not be a church record of the marriage (remember that not all church records are online) but if there is the details will probably be date and names of bride and groom.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jamesf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 12:07 BST (UK) »
This is an update to what I know now.

My great grandfather was baptised JAMES McDOWELL on the 5th April 1846 in St Mary's Comber.
His mother was JANE McDOWELL, she was single when he was born.
When he joined the army in 1864 he gave his name as JAMES PATTERSON with his next of kin given as mother JANE (No surname) and his place of birth as Newtownards.
He was married in Colchester in 1876 and gave his father as ROBERT PATTERSON (deceased butcher).
He died in Glasgow in 1915 and the death certificate gives his father as ROBERT PATTERSON (deceased butcher) and his mother as JANE PATTERSON (deceased) maiden name McDOWELL.
I assume that Jane and Robert married after James’ birth but I can find no record of it, nor can I find any record of their deaths, I don’t even know if Robert is James’ natural father, so any help would be much appreciated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 16:03 BST (UK) »
He was married in Colchester in 1876 and gave his father as ROBERT PATTERSON (deceased butcher).
He died in Glasgow in 1915 and the death certificate gives his father as ROBERT PATTERSON (deceased butcher) and his mother as JANE PATTERSON (deceased) maiden name McDOWELL.

It could be that the parents never married but have you searched for a marriage in Scotland or elsewhere in U.K.?

What about the death of Robert Patterson- it should list his marital status. A Will or probate record might give more details. Also mother's death should list marital status.
Any known siblings?

From the LDS website Jane was born in Comber and from Army records James was born in Newtonards
Exactly what record shows she was born in Comber?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jamesf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 16:16 BST (UK) »
I have tried all of the UK for wedding of Jane and Robert and all the UK for their deaths without any luck. I think you may be correct and they never married.

I think my orginal post with "From the LDS website Jane was born in Comber and from Army records James was born in Newtonards" should be "From the LDS website James was born in Comber and from Army records James was born in Newtonards".