Author Topic: New Website for Armidale & New England History - Aboriginal History  (Read 14602 times)

Offline pocketrocket

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New Website for Armidale & New England History - Aboriginal History
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 13:41 BST (UK) »
Have updated the index tonight.  Up to 207 names now.  Have been trawling though inquests (up to 1867) looking for any local townships and people listed as Aboriginal.   Once I finish with inquests I will get onto the original station records at the Regional Archives.

Hope it helps someone.

Caroline

www.armidalehistory.com

Clarke (The Gap QLD) , Morehouse (Cobram vic), Jepson, Garland, Tilsley, Wiggins (Tasmania)

Offline pocketrocket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 May 11 00:32 BST (UK) »
I have been trawling though inquests and other records.  Am up to 1870 in the NSW inquests.  Have found 19 references in that source alone.  The index is now up to 212 individuals with a record of Aboriginality. 

Regards,  Caroline
Clarke (The Gap QLD) , Morehouse (Cobram vic), Jepson, Garland, Tilsley, Wiggins (Tasmania)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 May 11 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

You may well find some who volunteered for either the Boer and/or WWI ....  service records are at the National Archives of Australia and digitised online there too.  (Of course indexes of names on Nominal Rolls, CWGC, AWM)

But
Have you noticed this thread for a Qld lad who enlisted in NSW, KiA  WWI, http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,534762.0.html

A huge task Caroline, and like you I do so hope it helps someone.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline pocketrocket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 May 11 11:15 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that.  I have found the complexion colour section useful in the past.  Aboriginality wasn't always stated.  I am just doing New England NSW at this stage.  58% of the Aboriginal people in NSW in 1971 lived in the region so it covers a reasonable amount and I am only a 2 minute drive from the Regional Archives here.  Makes things very easy.  I have had some positive feedback already and people have found people in their tree on the index so that is excellent considering I have only had the website up 2 months.

Many thanks,

Caroline

Offline pocketrocket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 11:46 GMT (UK) »
I have been trawling away and the index is up to 255 records with Aboriginally mentioned.  They are mainly in the 1800s.  Have started the station records at the regional archives which cover Northern NSW.  There are many old ledgers available and they often mention their Aboriginal workers in the wages books. 

www.armidalehistory.com

Hope this helps some of you.

Regards,

Caroline

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 19 July 12 06:06 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you are still interested in various early records, and of course the following is not from the New England District but

NSW Electoral Roll for CAMDEN 1870 has the following entries with the word “(aboriginal)” or “(ab.)” in brackets under the heading Christian and Surname for the following

George CHIPPENDALE, residence at Burragorang
Paddy MORROWIN, residence at Burragorang
George REILLY, residence at Burragorang
William RUSSELL, residence at Burragorang
Tommy SAMMY residence at Burragorang
Charles SKERITT residence at Burragorang
Soloman TOLMAN, residence at Burragorang
Thomas WRIGHT, residence at Burragorang

The returning officer for that Electoral District was J M ANTILL, and he certified the roll on 4 July 1870 at Jarvisfield, Picton.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline pocketrocket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 19 July 12 06:19 BST (UK) »
Hi again! Thanks for that, yes I am collecting info from NSW when I come across it.  One day when I'm done with the index for the New England I will go further afield.  I am up to 300 documents now and have had some nice emails from people who have found their indigenous roots through the info. :-)

Regards,

Caroline
www.armidalehistory.com

Offline pocketrocket

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 04 January 14 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

My self-funded website has been updated after being offline for 6 months.  I have over 400 entries in the index now.  Good chance you will find your Aboriginal ancestor in the index if they lived in New England NSW. Australia. 

www.armidalehistory.com

Regards,

Caroline

Offline dvd2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 11 October 14 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline,
Some time ago I was doing a bit of family history on Ancestry.com and got back to a William Bentley marrying a Phoebe Chapman in Wellingrove in 1859. Phoebe Chapman would be my great-great- grandmother. Her birth was listed as "circa 1840" and my wife said she was probably aboriginal (as single white women were thin on the ground at the time). Never previously knew anything about aboriginality in the family but I was wondering if you would know if Phoebe Chapman was aboriginal. Phoebe had Alick (buried Alexander), who had Norman, who had Alex who had me, David Alexander Bentley. I have Jack and Sally and I have discussed the possible aboriginal connection but I would like it to be more than a guess.