Author Topic: Photos of headstones in Garvagh Graveyard  (Read 18990 times)

Offline confusion

• RootsChat Senior
  • I was born poor - and still have all of it
    • View Profile
Re: Photos of headstones in Garvagh Graveyard
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 20 January 13 00:03 GMT (UK) »

Aghadowey:
Sorry, I have no other details than what I posted. William may have been previously married, seeing the age he was, when he died (aged 71).
I didn't find any details of him in the 1901/11 census either. He could have been born anywhere?

It was a very long shot on my part to say the least but, something may come to light in the future.

Thanks for looking.

Jim

Willey, Berry, Cox, Davis, Haddock, Hutton, Griffiths/Griffin, Tanner - Worcestershire
Cox, Dudley, Harris, Moore, Neville, Payne - Warwickshire
Chambers, Douds, Dryden, Given, Hamilton, Hassan, McPherson, McWhirter, Simpson, Taggart, Vauls, Whiteside - Ireland/Scotland, Northumberland
Challis, Halls, Heady, Grove, Lawrence - Essex
Foxwell, Imm, Ward - Gloucesteshire
Heady, Collis, Griffin - Hertfordshire
Hurling - Middlesex
Willey, Imm - Monmouthshire
Imm, Hamilton, Hedge, Majury, Sollis - US

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 20 January 13 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Do you have William's marriage certificate? that would give status (single, widowed or divorced) and hopefully father's name and occupation.

I have lots of records pertaining to families in Balnameen but can't pinpoint William Dempsey there. Am wondering if he could have been known as William _ (another surname).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jacgal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 16 February 17 20:31 GMT (UK) »
My Grandad was William Dempsey came from Garvagh, apparently he was a Sergeanr Major in the Army at one time. My Dad told me he was run over by a lorry in England. My Dad had a brother Bill and two sisters one was Mary cant remember the name of the other sister there could have been more. Wonder if this is the same person.

Jac

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 16 February 17 22:00 GMT (UK) »
My Grandad was William Dempsey came from Garvagh, apparently he was a Sergeanr Major in the Army at one time. My Dad told me he was run over by a lorry in England. My Dad had a brother Bill and two sisters one was Mary cant remember the name of the other sister there could have been more. Wonder if this is the same person.

Jac
Do you know when he was born? parents' names? any other details?

Offline Jacgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 19 February 17 11:37 GMT (UK) »

Jac

[quote author=Jacgal link=topic=524559.msg6172303#msg6172303 date

Jac

Jac
[/quote

Just spoken to my Mum and my Grandad William Dempsey was killed in Birmingham. My Dad Robert James Dempsey was born in 1930 so Mary Taggart would have been Williams second wife as I know my Grandmother left William and moved to England. My Dad's brother also William married a Mary in Ireland but later he moved to England. I know he had 2 sons who were Alastair and Jack and daughters but she can't remember their names (long time ago). She also can't remember my Dad's sisters names, I know this is all a bit vague but my Mum is 82.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 19 February 17 11:51 GMT (UK) »
A William M. Dempsey, age 77 died 1959 Birmingham district- could this be him? if not, when did he die? age at death will give us an idea of when he was born

See reply #34

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 19 February 17 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Another possible death?
William H. Dempsey, age 74, died 1960 Birmingham district

Born c1886 so might be this William Henry Dempsey-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Garvagh/Trienaltenagh/1519809

see next post

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 19 February 17 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Going back through this whole thread is the following post from 2013 which sounds like your William Dempsey-
Without appearing to hijack this thread, I too, have a Dempsey in my tree.
William Dempsey b abt 1894 and lived at Balnameen married a much younger woman,
Mary Taggart about 1946-50 but, sadly died after a tragic road accident in Feb 1965 in Birmingham.
(Knocked over and killed on a zebra crossing).
Don't know whether this has any relevance to the other Dempsey's in this thread but who knows?
Also my grandparents lived in Garvagh, (where my mother and her sister Mary were brought up)
Unfortunately, Jim (user name confusion) never responded to query about marriage certificate.

Offline Jacgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 19 February 17 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Going back through this whole thread is the following post from 2013 which sounds like your William Dempsey-
Without appearing to hijack this thread, I too, have a Dempsey in my tree.
William Dempsey b abt 1894 and lived at Balnameen married a much younger woman,
Mary Taggart about 1946-50 but, sadly died after a tragic road accident in Feb 1965 in Birmingham.
(Knocked over and killed on a zebra crossing).
Don't know whether this has any relevance to the other Dempsey's in this thread but who knows?
My Grandad was William Dempsey came from Garvagh, apparently he was a Sergeanr Major in the time

Jac
Army at one time. My Dad told me he was run over by a lorry in England. My Dad had a brother Bill and two sisters one was Mary cant remember the name of the other sister there could have been more. Wonder if this is the same person.

Jac

[quote author=Jacgal link=topic=524559.msg6172303#msg6172303 date

Jac

Jac
[/quote

Just spoken to my Mum and my Grandad William Dempsey was killed in Birmingham. My Dad Robert James Dempsey was born in 1930 so Mary Taggart would have been Williams second wife as I know my Grandmother left William and moved to England. My Dad's brother also William married a Mary in Ireland but later he moved to England. I know he had 2 sons who were Alastair and Jack and daughters but she can't remember their names (long time ago). She also can't remember my Dad's sisters names, I know this is all a bit vague but my Mum is 82.
Also my grandparents lived in Garvagh, (where my mother and her sister Mary were brought up)
Unfortunately, Jim (user name confusion) never responded to query about marriage certificate.

So now know my Grandmothers name was Rose who was married to William had 4 children, Robert, William, Mary and the other girl unknown name.  The younger William know as Bill married Mary and lived in Ballameen had two boys Alastair and Jack and we think either one or two girls. Robert Dempsey married Alice Piggott in London and had a boy Robert and a girl Jacqueline. My Dads older sister Mary died quite young.   So I know confused post was a long time ago would be nice if he saw this information perhaps would clear a few things up.