Author Topic: William De Levante  (Read 17431 times)

Offline cf001

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William De Levante
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 10 June 18 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

The issue of the North Devon Journal which was published on the 9th. January 1902 states that a daughter was born to Harry De Levante and his wife on the 6th. January 1902 at 20 Bridgeland Street, Bideford. Based on the GRO version of the birth index (which gives the mother's maiden name), the parents are Harry Riches Delevante and Mary Rachel Delevante who married in the March 1894 quarter, Keighley registration district, reference 9a 283 (I've ordered this certificate).

This is the birth of Noel Maxine.

I can't find GRO birth registrations for most of the children of George and Rachel (there's one in 1845). I'll work through the images of the baptism registers for West Ham to see if I can find some record of the family. (Essex Record Office has published full colour images of its parish registers online.)

Offline cf001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 10 June 18 22:25 BST (UK) »
Children of George Riches and Rachel Ann Delevante

These are the children I can find, using the spellings recorded in the registers:
  • St. George in the East, St. George - 24th. December 1845: George Thomas De Levante, son of George Riches and Rachael Ann, was born on the 23rd. March 1847. George Riches Delevante is described as a Cabinet Maker, of Cannon Street Road. [This is the only child for whom I can find a GRO birth registration.]
  • St. George in the East, St. George - 14th. April 1847: Charles Prosper Delevante, son of George Riches and Rachel, was born on the 22nd. November 1845. George Riches Delevante is described as a Merchant's Clerk, of 17 Cannon Street Road.
  • St. George in the East, St. George - 7th. December 1849: Emily Mary De Levante, daughter of George Riches and Rachel Ann, was born on the 30th. October 1849. George Riches De Levante is described as a Cabinet Maker, of 17 Cannon Street Road.
  • West Ham, All Saints - 16th. April 1852: Ann Robinson Delevante, daughter of George Riches and Rachael Ann. George Riches Delevante is described as a Traveller, of West Ham.
  • West Ham, All Saints - 23rd. November 1853: Mary Beckett De Levante, daughter of George Riches and Rachael Ann. George Riches Delevante is described as a Commercial Traveller, of West Ham.
  • Mary Beckett Delavante, aged 11 Months, of 1 Whalebone Terrace, West Ham, was buried on the 3rd. October 1854 at Tower Hamlets, Cemetery.
  • West Ham, All Saints - 18th. April 1855: Edward Henry De Levante, son of George Riches and Rachael Ann. George Riches De Levante is described as a Traveller, of West Ham.
  • West Ham, All Saints - 24th. March 1858: Mary Rachel De Levante, daughter of George Riches and Rachel Ann. George Riches De Levante is described as a Commercial Traveller, of West Ham. The Baptism was performed by E. R. De Levante, a younger brother of George, who describes himself as a Curate of (?) Chelsea.

The Mary Rachel baptised in March 1858 is very likely to be Noel Maxine's mother.

Note that I always give the full name of a church (hence the St. George in the East, St. George) since this fully identifies the source. In case you're wondering, there's also St. George in the East, Christ Church and St. George in the East, Saint Mary. West Surrey FHS have published 3 freely-downloadable Research Aid documents which catalogue the whoopsies made by Ancestry when loading the London Metropolitan Archives records.

Offline cf001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 10 June 18 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hello, does anyone know who Masahod Delevante's parents are from Morocco? Where in Morocco was he from? Thank you so much.

According to the "Abstracts of Ketubot" for the Bevis Marks Synagogue, the marriage contract dated 14 Tamuz 5542 (26th. June 1782) identifies Mishod Sarique (alias de Levante) son of Joseph Sarique as marrying Miryam de Joseph Bendelak.

Offline gezq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 11 June 18 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi cf001, you informationhas been SO helpful.
I have been able to complete a large chunk of my family tree. Thank you 😊
If your ancestors and mine were both Beckett’s we must be distantly related?
Regards,
Geraldine

Offline cf001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 11 June 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

I can pass on quite a lot of information to you by email if this helps. If this is of interest, I can put my email address in a Personal Message (PM) to you.

PS: I think that I've found 2 siblings of Noel Maxine - Marie Pauline (born 1895), and Harry Ivan (born and died 1898).

Offline gezq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 11 June 18 14:10 BST (UK) »
Yes please send a DM, I can respond by email.
Regards,
Geraldine

Offline gezq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 11 June 18 14:11 BST (UK) »
Oops PM I mean

Offline Kpasquarello

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 08 June 21 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Erica
I want desperately researching my clifton side. I have been working on my brick wall since 2005. Ancestry keeps putting my 3rd great grandfather mother as Emily Delevante. I cannot find any evidence of this by means records or dna. I was hoping you may be able to help me with my research.
Kate

Offline DrMaggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 06 October 22 17:01 BST (UK) »

Im a gt-great nephew of Alfred Wareing who married Emily Florence Macarthy in 1877, and have a copy of their marriage certificate. My Dad said the theatre was in our blood and Ive always thought that they were Jewish. Incidentally the details for Alfreds father are incorrect on his marriage certificate. The Delavante connection is fascinating, I would love to know more!
[/quote]

Hello Waterking,

Alfred Wareing is my great grandfather, so I guess we are some kind of distant cousin!? My grandmother was Alfred and Emily Florence’s eldest daughter, Beatrice Agnes Wareing (who married Francis McGrath). Would love to know your line to Alfred if you don’t mind sharing. Otherwise, I’d be interested in any information you have regarding Alfred after his birth (I have his birth certificate & 1851 census) and before his marriage to Emily Florence in 1877 (I have their marriage certificate on its way to me in the post and his life in Birmingham is well documented). In particular, I’d like to definitively track down his father, William Wharing/William Waring/William Nash Waring? a printer from West Bromwich? I have a marriage certicate for William Waring and Jane Davis (1848 West Brom) in the post but don’t know if it’s the right William and Jane. I suspect Alfred’s father deserted Alfred’s mother, Jane Davis/Davies hence why she is living with her pauper mother in the barracks/poorhouse in Leintwardine in 1951?

I’ve got some old family portraits of the Wareings I could share with you at some point, as well as a short anecdote from my uncle (Michael McGrath) about of his grandfather Alfred.

Thanks in advance,
Margaret