Author Topic: Heward in Holme/Holmfirth  (Read 12034 times)

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Heward in Holme/Holmfirth
« on: Sunday 03 April 11 18:06 BST (UK) »
Four puzzles in one! I have the following Heward people in Holme, near Holmfirth

1. Jonathan Heward and Sarah (Sally) had a son James Heward baptised at a non-conformist chapel in Holmfirth (Wesleyan?) - RG4-8 - on 25 Jul 1811. I do not know if they had any other children.

Jonathan Heward died and Sarah then married Joseph Greaves at Kirkburton on 22 Jun 1823.

2. John Heward (b 1786/7 at Holme) married Esther Taylor (b 1791/2 at Netherthong) at Almondbury on 11 Apr 1814. Is James the brother of Jonathan?

John and Esther are living at Holme Banks, Holme in 1851; their children being Hannah (1815/6), Nancy (1822/3), Diana (1827/8), John (1829/30) and Ruth (1831/2). All born at Holme.

However, the following Heward children are also in the household in 1851; Taylor (aged 10, son), Jane (aged 7, dau), Mary Ann (aged 6, dau) and Henry (aged 3, son). All born at Holme or Cartworth.

With the possible exception of Taylor, these children are too young for Esther to be their mother.

3. Lydia Heward married Nathan Littlewood at Kirkburton on 26 Feb 1843. She died in 1848 so I couldn't check the 1851 census and  I couldn't find her in 1841 even after guessing her age.

4. Joseph Dearnley married Mary Heward (b 1817/8 at Holme) at Almondbury on 24 May 1835. Is Mary related to James, baptised in 1811?

Any ideas and suggestions most welcome.

Thank you.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Heward in Holme/Holmfirth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 April 11 18:01 BST (UK) »
Just a brief contribution, not really much use to answer your puzzles but:
-Heward doesn't seem to be a common Holme/Cartworth/Holmfirth name- wouldn't be surprised if all Hewards were related back then.Are there any locally now?
- nice to see an example of mother's surname used as first name for a son, Taylor- very Holme Valley!

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 16:16 BST (UK) »
I think they must all be related somehow but I am struggling to find out how; hence the post in the hope someone could help if they have booklets or information I don't have.

I am not sure but I think Heward may have become Howard with the passage of time.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi
I looked at the marriage of James HEWARD and Esther TAYLOR to see if there were any clues in the witnesses but, in common with most of the other eight marriages that took place at Almondbury Parish Church that day (a regular production line!), it was witnessed by two churchwardens. James would have been unable to offer any guidance about spelling his name as he was unable to sign the register (as was Esther).

Glancing through Almondbury baptisms indexes, in addition to HEWARD, various people with abodes in Holme or Holme Woods appear as HEWOOD, HEWWOOD, HEYWOOD, HAYWARD and HOWARD.

Regards,

Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again

With regard to the Joseph DEARNLEY/ Mary HEWARD marriage (on 24th August, not May), George HEWARD of Holme was married on the same day. Mary's marriage was witnessed by two church wardens, George's by Joseph MARSDEN and John BEARDSELL. george was able to sign the register, and spelled his name HEWARD.

regards,

Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 09:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Lesley.

Before I say anything, I may have mixed up two pieces of paper. Was it James Heward or John Heward who married Esther Taylor on 11 Apr 1814?

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

I was so busy looking at witnesses I didn't notice it was John, not James who married Esther Taylor- and Esther did sign the register.

Regards,

Lesley
Webster- Northowram

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 16:20 BST (UK) »
It was my initial mistake, Lesley. I put James Heward, not John, in my original post.

It should, of course, be John and I have just modified it in case anyone reads it later.

Offline Wyjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 April 11 15:25 BST (UK) »
I don't normally jump the gun by looking at a century earlier but there are baptisms for
Johes(john) Heward baptised 8th Feb 1718  son of Jacobi (James) of Holmewood
Then a Martha Heyward baptised 14 May 1709 dau of Jacobi (James) of Holnewood
Sara baptised 27thSep 1712 dau of Johnis (John) of Holne

The surname variations are shown together with the sometimes used 'Holne' which I believe was the actual name/spelling of Holme- don't know whether this helps or not.