Author Topic: Soldiers demobbed after WW1  (Read 6656 times)

Offline Angel69

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Soldiers demobbed after WW1
« on: Sunday 03 April 11 18:39 BST (UK) »
Please could anyone tell me if there is a list of soldiers who were demobbed after World War One.  I'm trying to see if my great grandfather, Arthur Davies is on there. Unfortunately, I have no other info about him and guess he may have been born around the same time as my great grandmother, 1880.  He lived in Manchester, so can only guess he may have been in the Manchester Regiment.

Many thanks
Davies - Withington, Crumpsall, Styal, Cheshire, Ardwick
Hall - Harpurhey, Manchester, Derbyshire
Barnes - Manchester/Bury/Haslingden
Clayton - Manchester
Clinton - Harpurhey,Manchester, Middlesex & Ireland
Conwell - Manchester
Fletcher - Manchester
Jones - Manchester
Kay - Manchester
Moreton - Manchester/Staffordshire
Morris - Manchester
Priest - Manchester
Rowbotham - Manchester
Smith - Manchester
Murrat/Murret - London
Napper - Kent/Devon/London
Sullivan - Kent

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Soldiers demobbed after WW1
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 April 11 19:07 BST (UK) »
The National Roll of the Great War, 1914-1918 would be closest to what you are looking for.
Short biographies of people who served, rather than just those who died.

Unfortunately only a few volumes were completed. Luckily, Manchester is one which did make it to print. It is available on Ancestry, but various libraries & record offices have it too. The Manchester section shows 5 "Davies, A" entries plus a "Davies, A E".

If you PM me an email address, I can send you the page.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 April 11 19:17 BST (UK) »
There's also the chance that his service record survives, or that he was awarded a pension because of injury. Both these sources are available, and are likely to mention relatives to confirm that it's the right person.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline BashLad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 April 11 19:48 BST (UK) »
I've spent five minutes on ancestry and I've got the service records of....

Arthur Davies lived at 66 Edward ST, Stockport, occupation - steering motor wagon, married Mary Pittwood (something like that) 29 July 1914 at the tabernacle chapel, something hill something, stockport, with a son thomas davies born 28 may 1915 in stockport,

Another arthur davies born in manchester. Married to a mary living at 440 moston lane, moston, manchester with sons gordon robinson davies and ronald arthur davies. in the manchester regiment. He wasn't in for long - something to do with defective eyesight.

There's an arthur samuel davies who lived in chorlton cum hardy who was a joiner aged 34 in 1916 married to an Ann(massive ink stain) with children Arthur, ethel, nellie born 1907, 1910 and 1916.

There's an arthur edgar davies married to a beatrice roxandra yannedis (something like that) in 1914 with no children as then.

And there's an arthur davies (maybe one of the above) who died 11 oct 1917 in the manchester regiment.

There's more but those look most likely.
WHITEHOUSE- Bromsgrove, WANE - Eccleston, TOWERS - Blackburn & Ribble Valley, COLLINGE - Rawtenstall, THOMAS - Penzance, Whitehaven, Haslingden.

Offline Angel69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 April 11 20:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your replies. Unfortunately, my great grandfather didn't marry my great grandmother and he is not mentioned on their children's birth certificates. I am guessing my great grandfather was in WW1 because they had a daughter born in 1915 and twins who were born in 1919. Their first child who died in 1913 was named Arthur and the first twin to be born was also called Arthur. As in those days the first son was named after their father, I reckon my great grandfather was also called Arthur. Even though my great grandmother didn't marry my great grandfather, she used my great grandfather's surname, Davies, for their children and herself as mentioned on their children's birth certificates. I'm assuming because they were not married, she would not be mentioned as his next of kin. Some of the service records I have looked at on Ancestry don't seem to mention a next of kin.

My great grandmother was called Jessie Davies, but only used the surname Davies for herself and her children. Her maiden name is Clinton, but I've trawled through the marriages for Jessie Clinton to a Davies fella, over the past few years and there is no marriage to be found.
Clayton - Manchester
Conwell - Manchester
Fletcher - Manchester
Jones - Manchester
Kay - Manchester
Morris - Manchester
Priest - Manchester
Rowbotham - Manchester
Smith - Manchester
Murrat/Murret - London
Sullivan - Kent

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 April 11 09:17 BST (UK) »
The tradition is for the first son to be named after the child's paternal grandfather, so it seems likely that Arthur was the previous generation. The naming of a replacement son after the death of the first shows that the name has some importance.

Jessie is in Harpurhey in 1911, so had a look for Davieses there too. Plenty to choose from, but no Arthur. Jessie is only visiting, though, so it was a long shot.

Offline Angel69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 April 11 20:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Andrew.  Jessie was staying at her sister's on the night of the 1911 census.  I guess it looks like I will have to wait another 10 years for the 1921 census.
Clayton - Manchester
Conwell - Manchester
Fletcher - Manchester
Jones - Manchester
Kay - Manchester
Morris - Manchester
Priest - Manchester
Rowbotham - Manchester
Smith - Manchester
Murrat/Murret - London
Sullivan - Kent

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 April 11 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

A long shot, but have you checked out the addresses given on the childrens birth certificates or Arthurs death certificate and then looked these up on the directories for the time to see who was the head?  There weren`t any directories during the war but before and afterwards is a possibility.

If you want to post any addresses we will have a look.

Regards,
Mo   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Angel69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 April 11 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Mo,

The addresses on the birth certificates are that of the workhouse.  I do have some addresses for Jessie around 1922, which I will dig out over the next couple of days and will let you know. 

Many thanks for your help,

Mich
Clayton - Manchester
Conwell - Manchester
Fletcher - Manchester
Jones - Manchester
Kay - Manchester