Author Topic: Fulton Family Dungiven  (Read 12968 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fulton Family Dungiven
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 September 20 20:58 BST (UK) »

... Joseph's Siblings:
Sara Jane (08/05/1879, Derrylane - )
Marcus Scott (Rev) (06/03/1881, Derrylane - )
Lizzie (abt. 1885 - ) married Henry Allan Keys
Lillie Ann (Dec 1886 - 05/11/1961)
Emma (13/07/1888, Dungiven - 31/01/1960, Owenbeg) married George Dallas
James McCully (02/03/1891, Dungiven - 29/03/1948, Limavady) married Kathleen Cherry Conn ...

A couple called James Fulton and Jane Scott of Derrylane also had:

- a daughter Mary in 1871:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1871/03315/2215094.pdf
- a daughter Martha in 1872:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1872/03253/2192244.pdf
- a son Thomas Robert in 1875:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1875/03106/2139346.pdf
- a daughter Margaret in 1883:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1883/02753/2011432.pdf

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 September 20 21:12 BST (UK) »

..........and Jane Scott (abt. 1848 - 04/12/1929, Londonderry)

Lizzie (abt. 1885 - ) married Henry Allan Keys
Lillie Ann (Dec 1886 - 05/11/1961)
Emma (13/07/1888, Dungiven - 31/01/1960, Owenbeg) married George Dallas
James McCully (02/03/1891, Dungiven - 29/03/1948, Limavady) married Kathleen Cherry Conn

1911 census at Derrylane.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Drum/Derrylane/594741/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 19 September 20 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hello George BB,
 i can put you in touch with one of your Fulton 'cousin'. But we need you to have at least three posts so that you can send me a personal message.
I am also researching this Fulton line so i have a few queries that may help us both.
I have two dates for Jim Fulton's death 15.4.1909 & 19.11.1908.Would the later date be from the proving of the probate?
I have seen Mary Muriel/MurielMay Fulton 1926 -Which is correct?
Sarah Jane Fulton.b.1879 - I have the name Irvine [Sarah Jane Irvine?].
Lillie Ann Fulton birthdate as 20.11.1886.Dungiven.
James 'McCully' Fulton - i again have two birthdates 2.3.1890/17.3.1890? I have his actual death at Oatlands Myroe. I also have an alternative name for his wife Kathleen Charity[cherry?] Conn?
Happy to chat

Cheers Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 19 September 20 08:58 BST (UK) »
James Fulton was born at Derrylane on 17 March 1890:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1890/02446/1909654.pdf

He married Kathleen Conn at Ballykelly on 11 October 1922, a transcript of the church marriage record on the 'rootsireland' website shows her as Kathleen Cherry Conn, regardless, her birth on 26 December 1896 was registered under the name Kathleen Charity Conn:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1897/02143/1813670.pdf

Londonderry Sentinel, 3 April 1948:
Well-known Dungiven Man's Death
The news of the death of Mr. James McCully Fulton, which occurred suddenly at his residence Oatlands, Myroe, on Monday, was received with much regret throughout the entire Roe Valley district.  Mr. Fulton, an extensive farmer, resided at Derrylane, Dungiven, until a few years ago, when he acquired the present property at Oatlands.  He was a member of the Limavady Board of Guardians, and for a number of years was a Rural Councillor.  He was interested in agricultural matters, and was held in high esteem by all those who came in contact.  Sincere sympathy is extended to his wife and family in their bereavement. There was a large attendance at the funeral, which took place to Dungiven New Churchyard...

Edited to add: The Belfast Telegraph of 14 August 1958 also mentions Kathleen's forename as Cherry:
Ulster wills
£3,370 - Mrs. Kathleen Cherry Fulton, of Derrylane, Dungiven, Co. Londonderry, who died on January 28.

As does the death notice in the Londonderry Sentinel of 30 January 1958:
FULTON - January 28, 1958, at the Roe Valley Hospital, Kathleen Cherry, widow of James McCauley Fulton, Whitehill House, Derrylane, Dungiven.  Funeral to Dungiven New Church Burying-ground on to-morrow (Friday), 31st inst., at 2 o'clock.  House private. Very deeply regretted.

The Northern Whig death notice for James McCully Fulton who died on 29 March 1948 referred to wife Kathleen as 'Lena'.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 19 September 20 09:12 BST (UK) »

I have two dates for Jim Fulton's death 15.4.1909 & 19.11.1908.Would the later date be from the proving of the probate?

From PRONI's Will Calendars - https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx
Administration (with the Will) of the Estate of James Fulton late of Derrylane County Londonderry Farmer who died 19 November 1908 granted at Londonderry to James McCully Fulton Farmer.

Death record for James Fulton. He died on 19th November 1908 and the informant was his daughter Lillie A Fulton.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1908/05482/4535214.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 19 September 20 09:32 BST (UK) »

Joseph's Siblings:
Sara Jane (08/05/1879, Derrylane - )
Marcus Scott (Rev) (06/03/1881, Derrylane - )

From the Northern Whig death notice column of 29 February 1956:
FULTON - February 26, 1956, at his residence, Glencoe, Ontario, Canada, Rev. Marcus Scott Fulton, M.A., D.D., beloved husband of Ruby Jean Fulton and third son of the late James Fulton, Whitehill House, Derrylane, Dungiven, Co. Derry.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 19 September 20 10:10 BST (UK) »
Great stuff Gaffy and Kiltaglassan.
I also have two cousin contacts for George BBM.
Just need a couple more posts from George.
His line for Fulton of Dungiven is Thomas born Dungiven to Thomas born 1786 to James born 1838 and Joseph born 1877.

Cheers Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Balnacree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 19 September 20 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi George

Sarah Jane Irvine Fulton born 8 may 1879 married John Hart 15 October 1907 died 5 May 1939

Elizabeth Lizzie Fulton born 17 December 1884 died 1960

Lillie Ann Fulton born 20 November 1886 died 5 November 1961

Emma Fullton born 13 July 1888 Married George Dallas 1 November 1916 died 31 January 1960

James (Jim) McCully Fulton born 17 March 1890 died 29 March 1948 married Kathleen Cherry Conn on 11 October 1922

Marcus Scott Fulton born 6 Marh 1881 died 25 February 1956 married Ruby Jean Campbell

Margaret Fulton born 25 January 1883

Martha Fulton born 22 May 1872 died 20 December 1945 married Samuel McCollum on 8 April 1896

Mary Scott Fulton born 3 January 1871 died 20 November 1953 married Hugh Curry 22 March 1899

Thomas Robert Fulton born 4 April 1875 died 13 September 1959 married Margaret McCay 9 June 1909 

was your grandfather George Moncrieff Fulton born 22 January 1912?

Please PM me when you can

elizabeth
Fulton, Christie, Gracey, Jones, Hemphill,

Offline GeorgeBBM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 20 September 20 07:33 BST (UK) »
Wow!  Hi all!  I should have commented on here sooner! :D

Kiltaglassan - thank you, I couldn't find that date for Lizzie.

Gaffy - thank you for the other children - I thought there were more, but had struggled to find them.

James McCully - thank you for fixing my date and the nice newspaper write up :D

Marcus Scott - Thank you, I lose everyone once they leave the UK! 

JACK GEE - oooh! I wonder if this is a new/unknown cousin?  I like a mystery! :D 
James was my Great Great Grandfather
I am trying to find out more about James, his parents and if he had any siblings (e.g. Joseph and his family
who also lived in Derrylane - I have added as siblings for now, but cannot prove the connection.)

Re James (I didn't know he was referred to as Jim) - I have the record from proni.gov.uk which says:
   "Administration (with the Will) of the Estate of James Fulton late of Derrylane County Londonderry
   Farmer who died 19 November 1908 granted at Londonderry to James McCully Fulton Farmer." 
   This probate was officially recorded in April 1909.

Mary Muriel/Muriel May - no idea...
   Muriel has been used a lot in our family but which order would be correct I don't know.

Sarah Jane - Irvine could be another ancestral surname (you may have noticed they are used
   repeatedly in later generations - I think this is a Scottish thing as so much of my Scottish family
   do this?) I look forward to finding out.

Lillie Ann - thank you for the date :D

James McCully (from National Probate Index 1948)
   "of Oatlands Myroe county Londonderry died 29 March 1948 Probate Londonderry to James Fallows farmer and
   Kathleen Cherry Fulton widow.  Effects £457 10s. in England.  Sealed London 27 October"
   So yes, Cherry.

JACK, you angel!  Giving me confirmation that Thomas is my GGG GF and a date has now found me my GGG GM! 
   Elizabeth McCamish - married 1835 at Tamlaght (where family still reside!) 
Fantastic stuff! :D :D :D

Balnacree/Elizabeth - thank you so much for filling in so many blanks for me! My mum often spoke of various cousins, but she never knew how they were related to us... so many of those familiar names are here!  I can't wait to start digging and see where I end up now!
My Grandmother was Anna Moncrieff Brown.
I will see what I have to do to be able to PM x  Are you also a cousin?

Thank you ALL! SO VERY much! :D :D :D xxx