Author Topic: Fulton Family Dungiven  (Read 12959 times)

Offline Balnacree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fulton Family Dungiven
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 April 11 20:26 BST (UK) »
Have checked the Bovevagh Presbyterian Church records, but just found the marriage of Joseph and Elizabeth.

I think Fultons must have went to Dungiven Presbyterian church.

I have James Fulton Derrylane and  Thomas Fulton Drum, if anyone would know anything about these areas
Fulton, Christie, Gracey, Jones, Hemphill,

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 08:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I live very close to the townlands of Drum and Derrylane. What would you like to know about the areas?

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Balnacree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 20:10 BST (UK) »
I have just been told that Derrylane was the original Fulton homestead, iSo Joseph must have moved to Drum.  Is Drum near Derrylane?  Also how to you get to them.

Many thanks for your help, as I am finding it difficult to sort the Fulton's out
Fulton, Christie, Gracey, Jones, Hemphill,

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    The townlands ( small administrative areas) of Drum and Derrylane are next to one another just to the north west of the small town of Dungiven.  They can be seen on the Google maps and if you use "Street View", the little yellow man at the top lef,t you can view the area.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 April 11 15:23 BST (UK) »
Balnacree,
              I was in Dungiven Parish churchyard this afternoon and found the graves of Joseph and Elizabeth of Drum and a General Fulton of Derrylane grave with no specific names. Joseph was 74 when he died and Elizabeth was 80. I took some photographs which you may have if you send me your E-mail address using the Personnal Message system.
              The Griffiths valuation of 1858 shows a Robert Fulton with a house,barns etc and 34 Acres of land in Derrylane and a Thomas Fulton with a house, barns etc and 52 acres of land which was shared with Charles Horner. Thomas Fulton also held 26 Acres of land only in Derrylane. I also had a look in the 1831 census, which only names the head of household and the only Fulton in Drum/Derrylane was Thomas. Going back to the 1796 Flaxgrowers and the 1766 and 1740 Religious census I can find no Fultons in Drum or Derrylane.

Regards

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 April 11 18:12 BST (UK) »
I have a little more information for this thread.

I checked most but not all of the tithe applotment books for parishes in the Limavady area. There were no Fultons in Drum, Dernaflw or Derrylane. I found, however, a Samuel Fulton in Cahery renting circa 16 acres and a David Fulton renting circa 6 acres in Terrydremond.

1831 Census shows a William Fulton in Cahery - 4 males and 2 females, all Presbyterian. In Derrymore a Samuel Fulton - 1 male and 1 female, both Presbyterian. In Drummond an Archy Fulton -1 male and 1 female, both Presbyterian.

Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline GeorgeBBM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 September 20 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Balnacree

Not sure if you are still looking - but I am and found myself here... Joseph Fulton was my Great Grandfather.

Son of James (29/04/1838 - 19/11/1908, Dungiven) and Jane Scott (abt. 1848 - 04/12/1929, Londonderry)
James, Son of Thomas.... and there I am stuck.

Joseph's Siblings:
Sara Jane (08/05/1879, Derrylane - )
Marcus Scott (Rev) (06/03/1881, Derrylane - )
Lizzie (abt. 1885 - ) married Henry Allan Keys
Lillie Ann (Dec 1886 - 05/11/1961)
Emma (13/07/1888, Dungiven - 31/01/1960, Owenbeg) married George Dallas
James McCully (02/03/1891, Dungiven - 29/03/1948, Limavady) married Kathleen Cherry Conn

Joseph (17/05/1877 Derrylane - 09/01/1950) married Barbara Moncrieff Brown (28/09/1884, Dundee - 09/04/1969, Ballykelly)
Children: George Moncrieff, Anna Moncrieff Brown, Joseph Jellicoe, Barbara Isobel, Janet Scott, Mary Muriel Patricia

If you ever found out more about Thomas or Jane Scott, please let me know?  I am trying to find any of their siblings to see if I can match up with some cousins from the area.  Thank you

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 September 20 20:22 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 18 September 20 20:32 BST (UK) »

Joseph's Siblings:
Sara Jane (08/05/1879, Derrylane - )
Marcus Scott (Rev) (06/03/1881, Derrylane - )
Lizzie (abt. 1885 - ) married Henry Allan Keys
Lillie Ann (Dec 1886 - 05/11/1961)
Emma (13/07/1888, Dungiven - 31/01/1960, Owenbeg) married George Dallas
James McCully (02/03/1891, Dungiven - 29/03/1948, Limavady) married Kathleen Cherry Conn

1901 census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Drum/Derrylane/1523807/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo