Author Topic: FARRINGTON family in Great Gransden  (Read 8975 times)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FARRINGTON family in Great Gransden
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 April 11 20:24 BST (UK) »
There were 25 Farrington burials in Gt Gransden, Hunts, from 1691 to 1819. The last two in 1819 were Thomas and Sarah both aged 67. So they stayed put in Gt Gransden for nigh on 130 years.

Burials in Bourn, Cambs date from 1619, a solitary one, then from 1779 onwards.

Bourn is less than 5 miles from Gt Gransden

I suspect that the first two marriages in Gt Gransden were the same John. The first to Elizabeth Sutton was on 21 June 1690; the first Farrington burial was Elizabeth on 10 Nov 1691, and the marriage to Dorcas was on 21 Jan 1691/2
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline peterfarrington

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 April 11 20:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.

Looking at familysearch.org it would seem that before Great Gransden the Farringtons were at Papworth St Agnes, and before that at Hemingford Abbots, and before that at Bluntisham when registers began. Of course that all needs checking but it looks like they were within about 15 miles of the same area for 275 years at least. After Bourn they were briefly at Cherry Hinton to the East of Cambridge and then moved to London in about 1830/5 where they stayed for 130 years until I moved out of Peckham when I was 1 yr old in 1964.

Hopefully it should be easier to firm up the family history since they appear to have been in the same area for so long.

Thanks for all the help

Peter

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 April 11 21:00 BST (UK) »
With so many Hunts parishes not being on the IGI or BVRI it's too simplistic to say they moved from Bluntisham to Hemingford Abbots, both of whose PRs happen to be on the IGI.  The HA branch could easily have started from a single Farrington from another parish whose baptisms aren't on the IGI.

The John who was the first Farrington in Gt Gransden may have come from Papworth St Agnes, although I doubt it as the last baptism there was in 1615 (although this is a female only batch on the IGI so there may have been later males - there weren't, just checked the BVRI -, so there's a couple of generations to be filled in before John)

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline peterfarrington

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 April 11 21:15 BST (UK) »
I do agree... but I mean that at least there are Farringtons in this area going back to the beginning of the registers and so it is likely that this is the same family and that research can be focused on this area, rather than that the family came into the area during this period from elsewhere.

Peter

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 17:30 GMT (UK) »
May I join in to add that there are other Farringtons not very far away.
I have been looking for a considerable time for James Farrington who died
in 1835 and was buried on 12 December, 1835 at Winwick aged 61. That puts
his birth around 1774. He married Susannah Clarke from Sawtry in Winwick on 25 June
1804 and they had five children in Winwick on the Huntingdonshire/Northamptonshire border.
I have looked extensively at the parishes around Sawtry and Winwick, including Great Gransden,
but I cannot find James born in 1774. It may well be he came from a parish beyond the immediate
area. That may well be true of your Farrington, Peter. There is a Farrington recorded who came from
Lancashire and married a woman from Ringstead, and they ran an Inn at Thrapston just after this period.
This James Farrington is NOT from my family, but I should like to trace him for the Farringtons
of Northamptonshire today.
AS
Stewart:Donegal
Babington: Donegal and Londonderry
Patton:Donegal

Offline AlexStewart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 April 17 20:54 BST (UK) »
I have John FARRINGTON born 1742 in Great Gransden as a direct ancestor. The Farrington family seemed to have drifted East over the years and were in Bourne, Cambs from about 1761.

I am trying to find out if the Farringtons spent any time in Great Gransden or were still moving from elsewhere.

I think that John's father was William Farrington married to Alice Peacock in 1738 in Great Gransden. If anyone is able to let me know if William was born in Great Gransden, and if there are any Farrington's earlier than him, then that would be a great help.

Many thanks

Peter Farrington
  Peter, I visited Huntingdon Record Office this morning trying again to find the birth or baptism of James Farrington who married Susannah Clarke in Winwick in 1804, and died in Winwick in 1835 aged 61, putting his birth at 1774.  I looked  extensively at various parishes, including
Great Gransden, and I noted that Thomas Farrington married Mary Higges in 1735. That is earlier
than your William's marriage to Alice in 1738. I noticed also today that there were a considerable number of people in Huntingdonshire named Farrin or Farring or Farren earlier in the 1600s, particularly in places such as Sawtry and Conington. Sawtry was the place where James found Susannah and married her in 1804, and where they lived first as daughter Mary Anne was born and died there in 1804. The second child was wrongly written as Paddington instead of Farrington!  Does anyone know if Farrin could have been an earlier form of Farrington, or just an abbreviated form?  Finally, does anyone know of settlement archives written about folk
who moved from one parish to another in the 1700s? 
AS
Stewart:Donegal
Babington: Donegal and Londonderry
Patton:Donegal