Author Topic: Meyricks in Presteigne, 1760 onwards  (Read 11528 times)

Offline kbennett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Meyricks in Presteigne, 1760 onwards
« on: Tuesday 05 April 11 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm trying to trace the Meyrick family in Presteigne primarily from about 1760 to 1850. My great great great grandfather, Peter Puget Meyrick (not sure if there is a connection to Peter Puget who was in the area) was born in Presteigne about 1806 (although was married and lived his adult life in London), and Ive just been able to confirm his father was a Thomas Meyrick (butcher), whom I believe was born about 1760. I believe he had a brother Edward Stanton Meyrick (bn 1803 in Presteigne, but living very close to him in London), and several possible siblings in Presteigne:
Thomas bn abt 1811 - also a butcher & married Ann ?
William bn abt 1796 - also a butcher & married an Isabella Stephens
John bn ? - butcher, unmarried
Eliza - married a Thomas Jones who died not long after.

Plus a host of other Meyricks (Sarah who married a William Jones, Elizabeth who married a Thomas Lewis, Ann who married a John Powell).

What I'm most intrigued about is finding the birth details of Thomas Meyrick (approx 1760)... his marriage, and confirming his children (or indeed if all these Meyrick children were his.. or perhaps children of his siblings).

I'm very new to this, and am currently trawling the census records, free bmd and search ancestry but am coming up blank!

Thanks,
Kat
Bennett (NZ/Aust), Corner, Baker, Reveley (all Yorkshire), Barker (Durham), Meyrick (Radnorshire/Herefordshire & London), Cawston, Clark, Coulsell (Surrey), Berridge, Dixon, Redpath, Duke, Dailey, Davis, Lawrence, Martin.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Meyricks in Presteigne, 1760 onwards
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 15:31 BST (UK) »
Ki Kat,
Welcome to Rootschat :)

Have you tried;
Familysearch Pilot ?
Familysearch.Org ?
Familysearch IGI?

I think when searching that far back you should consider other spellings eg. Merrick, Morick, Mayrick etc.
Eg;
MARY Merick, Birth Date 07 April 1756, Bishopsgate, London
Parents SAMUEL/MARY
Residence, Nantmel, Radnor, Wales
+
PENELOPE Birth date 21 June 1757
SAMUEL Birth Date 27 November 1761
Source;
https://www.familysearch.org/

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hopefully someone has access to Presteinge Parish Records for you :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline kbennett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 23:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish  :)

I have tried Family Search IGI, and havent had a lot of luck either...! Although will retry with spelling variations, along with the others - thank you! Oddly enough, so far the Presteigne Meyricks seemed to been consistent with their name spelling, but once they branch out to London the variations are just plain bizarre (both first and last names!)!

Bennett (NZ/Aust), Corner, Baker, Reveley (all Yorkshire), Barker (Durham), Meyrick (Radnorshire/Herefordshire & London), Cawston, Clark, Coulsell (Surrey), Berridge, Dixon, Redpath, Duke, Dailey, Davis, Lawrence, Martin.

Offline meyrickstephens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 19:10 BST (UK) »
I am descended from marriage of william meyrick & isabella stanton stephens v isabella meyrick b 1836 marrying richard stephens in london in 1865. My gran was ada stephens her gran was isabella stephens. i have just been to presteigne & kington to investigate roots. Found jacobean butchers shop only ceased trading 7 years ago. Thomas king stephens was butcher here 1844 & had mural of himself on wall saw this pic in a book of radnorshire. William meyrick is listed as butcher census 1821. Mystery is that st andrews church graveyard has been cleared but found william meyrick stone saying died 20th Oct 1811 citation " he was butcher of this town & much respected by all who knew him" Lot of big stephens tombs. Traced isabella & richard to kington nxt village he was grocer & a very large victorian shop is still there & now a supermarket. My info shows thom meyrick 1760 kids r william,john,edward stanton, thomas king. edward staton is said in a history book to be in london 1822 as a retail wines spirits merchant. Search shows him in pimlico near pugh in the same trade. Mystery the first lifeboat at burry port near me was by bequest & named edward stanton stephens of pimlico.ed stanton is listed as publican at ornage pub pimlico in abt 1860. I am also looking at connection to aristocrat meyricks of wales & convinced can trace back to Gelly meyrick nr presteigne ,elizabethan adventurer & traitor who relates back to meyricks of bodorgan anglesy 11 century. Bernard

Offline Linda_J

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 August 11 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Bernard

I just spotted your reference to Isabella Stanton Stephens. If she is who we think she is then her mother was Isabel Stanton and Isabel’s father was William Stanton who was the parish clerk at Presteigne for many years.
We have been researching the Stanton line for several years.

Linda
Dove - Maidstone Kent
Ralph - Relf - Cranbrook Kent
Cottrell - Barcombe Sussex
Ecclestone - Norfolk and Suffolk
Gooch - Norfolk
Burgess - Sussex and Hampshire
Stanton - Breconshire
Other names; French, Beale, Higgins, Measday (all Kent)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kbennett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 August 11 01:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Bernard & Linda

I'm most intrigued by both of your replies! We have done a fair amount of research on the Meyrick line and their multiple connections to the Stantons, but have had little luck finding anyone else also researching these families.

Bernard - We have so far found a number of children whom we believe are Thomas Meyricks (b.1763), including the 4 boys you mention - all up we have:
John Stanton Meyrick b. 1785 m. Sarah ?
Mary Ann Meyrick b. 1787
Charlotte Page Meyrick b.1789
King Meyrick b. 1791 m. Mary Edwards
William Meyrick b. 1792 m. Isabella Cowper Stanton Stephens
Harriet Frances Meyrick b.1797 m. Benjamin Thomas
Elizabeth Meyrick b. 1800 m Thomas Lewis
Edward Stanton Meyrick b. 1803 m Amelia Tripp
Peter Puget Meyrick b.1806 m. Ann Bryant (This is my ggg grandfather)
Eliza Maria Meyrick b. 1809 m. Thomas Jones
Thomas Meyrick b. 1811 m. Ann ?

We also have a number of the descendents for each of these lines. We have certificates for the marriages of Peter Puget, and Eliza Maria Meyrick, but have also been sharing some research with a Ralph Crosby, whose wife is descended from Isabella Stephens, mother of the first Ada Charlotte.

My ancestor Peter Puget Meyrick went to London, and lived around the corner from Edward Stanton Meyrick - both of whom were victuallers. Going back to their father Thomas Meyrick, we have him in the 1841 census with his daughter Eliza, but he died in 1845. We believe his wife may be a Cassandra Stanton (which adds to my interest in the Stanton research  that you have done Linda). We have nothing on her and found the possible name through an online tree, the author of whom is also a descendent (from Canada), that we have not been able to make contact with. Interestingly, both Edward Stanton Meyrick and Peter Puget Meyrick each named a daughter Cassandra, and its not a particularly common name in the early to mid 1800s. I do have Isabella Stanton Stephens (M. William Meyrick as above) with a mother Isabella Stephens nee Stanton, her father William Stanton so would to love to see what information you have on the Stantons - inlcuding whether a Cassandra Stanton is in anyway connected.

The grave of Willliam Meyrick who died 1811 is very intriguing -  I guess depending on his age, could be either a brother or a father to Thomas Meyrick bn 1763. The fact that he was the town butcher almost for certain connects them!  I have also wondered if the family in any way connected to the aristrocratic Meyrick lines, but havent been able to find anything beyond Thomas and Cassandra, inlcuding where either were born,  to prove or disprove that.

Kathryn

Offline Linda_J

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 August 11 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathryn and Bernard

Although our primary research is the Stanton line from Builth and Presteigne, we have also accumulated some information on the Stephens and Meyrick lines. Some of the Stephens and Meyrick material was sent to me because of the Stanton connection but I have not personally checked any of that. I am sure some of it will be of interest to you so feel free to contact me via PM.

Linda
Dove - Maidstone Kent
Ralph - Relf - Cranbrook Kent
Cottrell - Barcombe Sussex
Ecclestone - Norfolk and Suffolk
Gooch - Norfolk
Burgess - Sussex and Hampshire
Stanton - Breconshire
Other names; French, Beale, Higgins, Measday (all Kent)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline M_The_Menace

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 September 11 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have a lot of information on these families. I am Meyrick Stephens, my Grandfather was Arthur Stanton Stephens, his father was Meyrick Stephens.
I can send to you some Word documents if you send me your email address.
There have been many butchers and saddlers in these families and a lot of these people travelled from Wales to London.
email me at (*)
Regards, Meyrick Stephens.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php