Author Topic: Andrew Colhoun Bishops St Londonderry  (Read 3188 times)

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Colhoun Bishops St Londonderry
« on: Wednesday 06 April 11 07:06 BST (UK) »
Andrew Colhoun a merchant of Bishops St, Londonderry died february 1881. In his will he listed Margaret Jane Dougherty nee Cole (my gt grandmother) and her sister Catherine A McFrederick nee Cole as nieces. Their mother was Rebeccas nee Shiels. Can anyone tell me if his wife Catherine Colhoun who died 1894 was also a Shiels?

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Colhoun Bishops St Londonderry
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 07:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   3 Feb 1863 Andrew Colhoun married Catherine Shiels in Londonderry 1st Presbyterian Church.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 08:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much. I did think that Rebecca Shiels had a sister Catherine but cannot find my source.  I have been looking at the Crossroads Church site and wondering if the Samuel Shiels who married Mary Donnaster in 1827 is the same Samuel Shiels, weaver of Monreagh who was Rebecca & Catherine's father.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 February 19 02:38 GMT (UK) »
I would now like to widen this topic to the family of Andrew Colhoun as recent DNA results show that Andrew Colhoun was probably a cousin of my gt grandfather William John Dougherty. The main suspect for the DNA match is William John Dougherty's mother whose name is not known.

I think Andrew Colhoun may have been the son of Andrew Colhoun of Corncannon(?) who the Londonderry Sentinal of 7 Feb 1865 said died

On the 3rd February (1865), at his residence, Corncammon, Mr. Andrew Colhoun, aged 85 years.

Can anyone tell me if this is close to or the same as Corncamble?

I also have a death notice for an Ann Colhoun who died 1867 and could have been the widow of this Andrew Colhoun:

December 22, at her son's residence, Tullyannan, Ann, relict of the late Mr. Andrew Colhoun, aged 79 years.

This is what I have so far. Andrew Colhoun born c1823 died 1881 and his wife Catherine nee Shiels did not have family of their own.

The Will of Andrew Colhoun late of Bishop-street Londonderry Publican and Grocer who died 17 February 1881 at same place was proved at Londonderry by Alexander M'Vicker of Shipquay-street and George Walker of Magazine-street both in Londonderry two of the Executors. (Former Grant 21 April 1881.) (Double Probate). Effects £3,000

Andrew listed his siblings in tis order:
 Samuel, John, Thomas, William, Ann, Jane and family of deceased sister Isabella, then lastly Hugh.

From the wording in Andrew's will I do not think Hugh was married or had any family.

Jane Colhoun b c 1826 married David Rutherford at Taughboyne on 15 Jun 1846. The record I can see in Ancestry does not name her father. I have several Rutherford DNA matches. Catherine Colhoun, widow of Andrew, died in 1894 and left a will.

To my nephew Henry Rutherford who now resides with me I bequeath and devise the house shop and premises as now in my occupation in Bishop Street in the said City of Londonderry together with all stock in the said shop, shop fixture and fittings, furniture in said house an all my interest and good will in the business as now carried on by me in the said premises. I also bequeath to the said Henry Rutherford the sum of three hundred pounds sterling.

I also have DNA matches to a descendent of a Wiliam Colhoun b c1820 ( who married Elizabeth Roulston) and I think to Samuel Colhoun (1817-1914) who married Margery Roulston. Potentially these are brothers of Andrew.

I checked the Griffiths valuations for Tullyannan and there was only one Colhoun listed there and that was Samuel Colhoun. I do not know if this is the same Samuel as above.

Lastly, I have also discovered a lesser DNA match to someone whose Colhoun Ancestor was the Jane Colhoun, daughter of William who

On the 16th ult., at the house of Mr. George Rodgers, of Killyverry, by the Rev. William Scott, Mr. Joseph Huston, of Killyverry, to Jane, eldest daughter of Mr. William Colhoun, of Drummany, near Letterkenny.

This brings me to another question about geography. There is another Andrew Colhoun who died 1865 and left a will

The Will (with one Codicil) of Andrew Colhoun late of Londonderry in the County of Londonderry Woollen-draper deceased who died 28 May 1865 at Moville in the County of Donegal was proved at Londonderry by the oaths of Thomas Miles Grover and Joseph Orr Merchant both of Londonderry aforesaid the Executors.

Andrew names a sister Jane who was married to Thomas Miles (in June 1838)

On the 5th inst., at Manorcunningham Church, by the Rev. Mr. Chapman, Mr. Thomas Miles, of this City, to Jane, eldest daughter of Mr. William Colhoun, of Lifford.

I was wondering how close Lifford was to Durmmanny but as both daughters were named Jane, I assume they are daughters of different Williams?

So I would appreciate input from anyone who can expand and connect the various Colhouns of Donegal with the siblings or parents of Andrew who died 1881.

I have not been able to positively identify the spouses of John, Thomas, Ann or Isabella.

Cheers

Linda.

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 13:58 GMT (UK) »
jane Colhoun's father on marriage cert. is Andrew Colhoun.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Mary

I have also since seen one record in FamilySearch for the 1863 marriage of Andrew Colhoun and Catherine Shields that confirms Andrews father was also Andrew.

However  I am not sure that the Samuel Colhoun who married Margery Roulston was the son of Andrew. It appears my DNA link was  not to the Colhoun side of the tree with that Samuel, and in that tree I think his father was James and mother ?Jane.

However I have since found minor links to a dozen trees with the Colhouns of Crosh House Co Tyrone.