Author Topic: POW in Stalag XXB - advice please  (Read 67650 times)

Offline tim091

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: POW in Stalag XXB - advice please
« Reply #81 on: Friday 20 September 19 06:41 BST (UK) »
Excellent, thanks Cardboard.

Offline cardboard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Friday 20 September 19 19:36 BST (UK) »
You are most welcome Tim.

Offline Carol mussell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Thursday 30 January 20 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Mike,
        there are two possibilities. Could the No 9933 be read as 9988 as there is a Rfn L J Britton 6846139 listed as Stalag XXA in 1945. Wasn't unusual for a POW to be moved from Camp to Camp. There is also Pte L.A. Britton 6204135 listed as XXB.

I have found some old family postcards that my Great Uncle Les 'Micky' Britton sent to his mother from Stalag XXB. His no was 9933 I think.
The picture on the front is of him as the lead singer/entertainer of a music/dance act.
There is another with a troop of soldiers and the number 68243.
If this means anything to anyone else please let me know.

He was born in 1920

Thanks
Mike

Offline Carol mussell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Thursday 30 January 20 15:40 GMT (UK) »
This is a very old posting but If I have the correct army no. Etc how can I get more info  please

Offline MAITLAND_Finlays

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Sunday 26 April 20 08:35 BST (UK) »
My grandfather also only mentioned XXb but on receiving his ICRC red Cross records found he was in 4 camps, the last of which was XXb

hi there i am new to this and would like a little help, not sure if im posting on the wrong post but here goes,

im looking for some info on my grandad who was a pow in stalag xxb, we know he was made to work on a farm but not much else, i have the following details
Name: J. Burke
Army Number: 891020
Regiment: Gordon Highlanders
POW Number: 16483
Camp Type: Stalag
Camp Number: XX-B
Camp Location: Malbork, Poland
he never spoke much about the war but i am on a quest to find out what he went through he was a fantastic man,

kind regards
michael

Offline Khearns

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday 12 May 20 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am hoping someone may be able to help me with some information on Stalag XXB.  I have recently found out that my Grandfather was held here,

Private James Patrick McNulty, 2984644, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, 7th Battalion.
PO War number 13511
Recorded at Marienburg Stalag XXB

I have his Army discharge book which states P.O.W 18th June 1940 - 18/5/1945

I have copies of his records

Missing, 15/7/1940 Casualty list 255.

POW (Previously reported missing) 20/8/1940, Duty location France. 

22/6/1945 Reported to the war office casualty branch, casualty list 1789, states previously reported on Casualty List No. 286 as Prisoner of War in German Hands (Germany) now Not Prisoner of War. Previous Theatre of War, France.

I have copies of the transcripts that I found on the National Archive from the Casualty list and the Imperial POW lists.  They all state that he was in Stalag camp 20B, but this is where I am hitting a wall.

I have tried to look and see if he filled out a questionnaire on his return, I can't see any digital records of this, is there a way?

I would also love to know if he was one of the liberated prisoners. Does anyone know the dates?

He told stories of eating watery potato soup and being so hungry that they either ate or contemplated eating rats.  He did say he managed to escape 3 times, each time being caught. Both of which read like many stories I have read of others at Stalag XXB.

He was older when he had my mum and she doesn't recall him talking too much about the war, so we do not know what he did while he was there. He was Glasgwegian and went by Jimmy, he had a popeye and olive tattoo done whilst he was there, the Germans caved in his wedding finger with the butt of a gun in order to remove a gold band and they removed his gold tooth.

The picture below is one of the only pictures we have of him in his uniform, he also wore glasses.

I would be very grateful for any help or information.

Kimberley

Offline Lottie_AFC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi! I have just found out that my Great, Great Uncle was a POW in Stalag XXB . His name was Harry Frederick Kelly. I have just found out that he was a Rifleman for the Kings Royal Rifle Corps. I have spoken to his daughter and she said he never really spoke much about his time there he only mentioned some of the funny things that happened. This is what she knows: he was sent to France in 1939 and was told he was to help defend Calais. This was not the case. He was captured and marched to Stalag XXB. He was there for 5 years. He worked on a farm and always said the the Frau fed him well.
He is in the picture that amberden has posted. He is the man on the bottom left. I would love to here if anyone has any info on him and his time in the camp or if he had any friends in there.

Charlotte

Offline Lottie_AFC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi! I have just found out that my Great, Great Uncle was a POW in Stalag XXB Malbork, Poland. His name was Harry Frederick Kelly. I have just found out that he was a Rifleman for the Kings Royal Rifle Corps. Army Number 6846638, POW Number 4671. I have spoken to his daughter and she said he never really spoke much about his time there he only mentioned some of the funny things that happened. This is what she knows: he was sent to France in 1939 and was told he was to help defend Calais. This was not the case. He was captured and marched to Stalag XXB. He was there for 5 years. He worked on a farm and always said the the Frau fed him well. He was liberated in 1945 but got mumps on his way home and was sent to an American hospital in France.
He is in the picture that Greg Anthony has posted on page 4. He is the man on the bottom left. I would love to here if anyone has any info on him and his time in the camp or if he had any friends in there.

Charlotte

Offline MAITLAND_Finlays

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: POW in Stalag XXB - advice please (See New Facebook group on XXB)
« Reply #89 on: Sunday 02 May 21 03:49 BST (UK) »
Stalag XXB Facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2191167800961547

My grandfather wat in XXB , and also XX1C/Z, XX1A, XX1B

There are facebook groups for each, XXB is most active (everyone welcome)