Author Topic: POW in Stalag XXB - advice please  (Read 67369 times)

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: POW in Stalag XXB - advice please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 July 11 21:17 BST (UK) »
I'm also interested in POW Stalag XXB.  Has anyone come across a Andrew Hannah POW number 14894 in their research?  I am trying to find out when he was a POW from to determine whether he can possibly be my grandfather (as I am led to believe  :-\)
Are you looking for 2821246 Pte Andrew Mc Kinley HANNAH 6th Btn Deaforth Hldrs. Taken prisoner in Italy 1/11/1943 and was a P.O.W. until April 1945.

Brian
Prisoners of War. North Africa,Italy and Germany

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 July 11 19:50 BST (UK) »
This the man Margaret;

6284209 Cpl Cyril William Newall The Buffs .POW No. 5410 ;D.O.B. 22/2/1914  Enlisted 31st May 1929.
Ocupation Car Body Builder.
Captured 21/5/1940 - St. XXA (3) 2/6/1940 to 22/2/1941 -  XXA (45) 22/2/1941 to 13/4/1943 Bromberg supervising W/Party
XXB 13/4/1943 to 3/9/1943 - XXA (5) 3/9/1943 to 13/8/1944 - St.357 13/8/1944 to 3/5/1945

Brian

Hi there
Just a quick note wondering if anyone can advise me the best way to research a WW2 POW who was in Stalag XXB .
Any help much appreciated :)

Offline MBRITTON

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 19:34 BST (UK) »
I have found some old family postcards that my Great Uncle Les 'Micky' Britton sent to his mother from Stalag XXB. His no was 9933 I think.
The picture on the front is of him as the lead singer/entertainer of a music/dance act.
There is another with a troop of soldiers and the number 68243.
If this means anything to anyone else please let me know.

He was born in 1920

Thanks
Mike

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 April 12 11:10 BST (UK) »
Mike,
        there are two possibilities. Could the No 9933 be read as 9988 as there is a Rfn L J Britton 6846139 listed as Stalag XXA in 1945. Wasn't unusual for a POW to be moved from Camp to Camp. There is also Pte L.A. Britton 6204135 listed as XXB.

I have found some old family postcards that my Great Uncle Les 'Micky' Britton sent to his mother from Stalag XXB. His no was 9933 I think.
The picture on the front is of him as the lead singer/entertainer of a music/dance act.
There is another with a troop of soldiers and the number 68243.
If this means anything to anyone else please let me know.

He was born in 1920

Thanks
Mike

Offline ranger44

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 July 12 11:15 BST (UK) »
Ref littleman69 - I too am looking for an Andrew HANNAH who was in Stalag XXB. Can you tell me where he originated from - my one was from Stranraer, Scotland.  I have my Andrew HANNAH with POW number as 7413. Hope it helps

Offline Burnmaue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 July 13 01:15 BST (UK) »
My father was also in XXB, he endured the arduous march west in 1945 and finally reached home late in 1946 (the authorities would not allow him to travel home to north east Scotland till over 6 months after arriving back in the UK)

Dad is one of the few ST. Valery survivors if the Gordon Highlanders sacrificed that day tat is still alive.  Almost 83 years of age itch an incredibly vivid memory.

I would be very interested to her from anyone with family members from this camp still living today in 2013.....

Thank you
M E Burnett
Aberdeenshire

Offline Burnmaue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 13:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, my mistake, dad is most definitely coming up for his 93rd birthday, a little typo there

Brian thanks for your response, I'm afraid I'm still trying to work out how to use this site and how to private message..... I will work it out and respond when I do :)

My father was also in XXB, he endured the arduous march west in 1945 and finally reached home late in 1946 (the authorities would not allow him to travel home to north east Scotland till over 6 months after arriving back in the UK)

Dad is one of the few ST. Valery survivors if the Gordon Highlanders sacrificed that day tat is still alive.  Almost 83 years of age itch an incredibly vivid memory.

I would be very interested to her from anyone with family members from this camp still living today in 2013.....

Thank you
M E Burnett
Aberdeenshire

Offline Stewpot1970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 August 13 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

My Grandad was also in Stalag XXB and I am trying to find out more details of when he arrived there and when he was repatriated. I have pics and docs of him there, but no record online (ancestry) or published in POW British Army 1939 - 1945.

He was T70706 Dvr R L Mead RASC.  He was captured at Dunkirk, 1940.

Any help would be appreciated...

Regards

Stew

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 04 August 13 17:47 BST (UK) »
Could be that he was repatriated prior to the 1945 Lists being compiled Stewart.
Should this be the case there probably will not be a Liberation Report Available.

Brian

Hi

My Grandad was also in Stalag XXB and I am trying to find out more details of when he arrived there and when he was repatriated. I have pics and docs of him there, but no record online (ancestry) or published in POW British Army 1939 - 1945.

He was T70706 Dvr R L Mead RASC.  He was captured at Dunkirk, 1940.

Any help would be appreciated...

Regards

Stew