Author Topic: McGill University Directory of Graduates  (Read 10862 times)

Offline Fawlty Rover

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McGill University Directory of Graduates
« on: Thursday 07 April 11 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Does anyone please have access to a copy of the above book which was printed in 1946? I believe there may also have been an earlier version in about 1926. These books list all graduates from the university who were known to be still alive at the time of publication. I believe my great uncle Hugh Cyril Hill may have studied at McGill around 1890 - 1900. He definitely played for their cricket team and is recorded on the 1891 census as being a student in Montreal. If anyone has a copy could they please check to see if he is listed (may of course be listed as H C Hill) and let me know what is recorded. Many thanks

Fawlty Rover

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McGill University Directory of Graduates
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 April 11 03:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I just checked the Toronto Public Library catalogue and they have a few McGill Alumni books.   The first two are in book form and the others are on microform.   

1. Directory of graduates 1946 by  McGill University. Graduates' Society (1946)
2. Directory of graduates, 1890-1965. [4th ed.] BY McGill University. Graduates' Society (1966)

3. Graduates of McGill University, Montreal, corrected to January, 1895 BY McGill University.
4. Graduates of McGill University, Montreal corrected to July, 1909. by McGill University

The 2 books and the 1895 microform are at the North York branch.   Both microforms and a copy of the 1966 book are at the downtown Reference Library. 

http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/search.jsp?Ntt=directory+of+graduates+mcgill

I understand from other postings in this forum that the librarians will do a look up for you.  You could try and see if they can help you.  I have given you all the information required to find the books/microforms. 

If they can't help you, I will be near the Toronto Reference library a few days before Easter.  The 1946 book isn't there, but the 1909 microform could answer your question.   If you don't mind waiting even longer, I can get to the North York branch sometime after Easter and check the 1946 book.   :)

RK   

Offline Fawlty Rover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 April 11 16:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the responses. The book is not available over here and as I only want one lookup and I am unsure whether it will help me or not I am reluctant to buy it. I have put a request in with the Toronto library and hopefully they will be able to let me have some information. If they do I will advise in this forum that they have done so. If they cannot for any reason I would be very gratefull Runkitty if you could help. I have two real questions I would hope to get answers to. Firstly did he actually study at McGill and the relevant details? Secondly if he did does he appear in the 1946 version as still alive and what was his address? It is quite likely he was alive but at the moment I cannot be sure, as he would have been 74 in 1946 there is a good chance this would have been his last home. I have reason to believe this MAY have been in th UK.

Thank You
Fawlty Rover

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 April 11 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I hope the Toronto Library can answer your question quickly and to your satisfaction.  If not, I have added your request to my "library list".   :)

RK

Offline Fawlty Rover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 20:19 BST (UK) »
The Toronto libraries have now conducted a search for me and unfortunately he is not listed in any of the books. Thanks for all your help.

As Hugh was listed as a student in Montreal West any other ideas where else he could have been studying?

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Concordia University and the University of Montreal both spring to mind.   However, Concordia was formed fairly recently from the merger of two older institutions- Loyola (1896) and Sir George Williams (1926).   Neither is early enough for your Hugh.  The University of Montreal is old enough.  Here is some information:

http://www.umontreal.ca/english/overview/brief_history.html

There are other Universities in Quebec, but these two are in Montreal.  Maybe someone else will have more suggestions.   

Have you checked the Lovell's directory of Montreal?  It is a great resource.   From the initial search page, it looks like it is in French - don't worry...it isn't.  Just select serie principale, choose your year and do an alphabetical search.    I just looked in 1892 and 1895.  I see one H.C. Hill and he is an insurance clerk.  If this is your Hugh, then he probably graduated in 1891 or spring of 1892.   

http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/

RK  :)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Another thought - he could have gone to McGill and left without graduating.  This may be why he isn't in the lists of graduates.   

Are you positive that he played cricket for McGill?  I wonder if that would be something to follow up.  Perhaps McGill yearbooks are available from the 1880s and 1890s - which might have labelled photos of the sports teams?   You could try contacting the McGill archives. 

http://www.archives.mcgill.ca/

RK

I know this won't give you the address information you are seeking, but it could answer you questions about his University studies.

Offline Fawlty Rover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 April 11 13:03 BST (UK) »
This Lovells reference is fantastic. I have looked through it and it clearly shows him in Montreal from 1889 until 1904 as an Insurance Agent, which he was. He got married in 1905 and moved to Peterborough,Ontario, do they have a similar reference book?
I am beginning to think that the student possibility is a red herring! He was born in 1872 and is listed in the UK census in 1881 (as would be expected) and I guess left for Canada aged late teens (don't know why, did he run away from home?). In 1889/ 1900 he would only have been 18 years old and therefore University study is unlikely.
He definitely did play cricket for McGill and I have tried them but am not getting a response which is dissapointing, he also played internationally for Canada.
Any ideas how I can confirm when he left England/arrived in Canada?