Author Topic: Death lookup - New Orleans Louisiana - Rutherford  (Read 2805 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Death lookup - New Orleans Louisiana - Rutherford
« on: Friday 08 April 11 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I am afraid I do not know the first place to look for US records, but have stumbled across the following index entry for my relative who lived in the US:

Death - James Rutherford - Oct 1917 - aged 43yrs New Orleans, Louisiana, USA - pg 311, vol 170

How easy or hard is it to get this record? Is there any free records or would I have to buy it?

James's wife Martha Marshall MacDonald has already passed away in Scotland in 1909 after the birth of their son James Marshall MacDonald.

His two children; Beulah Anna Rutherford and James Marshall MacDonald show up in the newly released 1911 Scottish census with their grandfather James Rutherford in Dundee, but James appears to not be present in Scotland for 1911. He is also 'missing' or at least I cannot find him in the 1910 US Census.

I would dearly love to know what he died from and what he was doing in the US. He is listed as a Marine Engineer in his son's birth cert and his marriage. And I have found his 1915 US Passport application on Ancestry where he states he is a Marine Superintendant.

His daughter Beulah Anna Rutherford is also supposedly born in New Orleans in 1907....but alas I do not know where to start looking for her birth either  :-\

Any help with Louisiana records would be great  ;D

Thanks

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death lookup - New Orleans Louisiana - Rutherford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 April 11 12:46 BST (UK) »
It appears that you can order the death record for $5.  http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/tabid/640/Default.aspx

Beulah appears on the birth index here:  http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/tabid/641/Default.aspx

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 April 11 12:51 BST (UK) »
thanks Shellyesq! You are a gem  ;D
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 April 11 13:04 BST (UK) »
Just saw a reference to an obituary for James Rutherford  ;D

Rutherford, James
Death date: 1917-10-06
Sex: M
Obituary citation(s): Times-Picayune, 1917-10-07, Pg. 2 col. 7

Does anyone live in Louisiana or have access to the digitised copies from the library?

The site says:

A number of public and academic libraries (particularly in Louisiana but also in other states) hold microfilm of some of these newspapers, most commonly the Daily/Times-Picayune (this includes the Jefferson Parish Library and the Louisiana State Library, as well as most of the university libraries in the state). It may be that you can get copies of the obituaries referenced in our Index by visiting a library near you. Link here to search for newspaper holdings in a library near you.

Some New Orleans newspapers are also now digitized and available online at least partially. Check with your local library to find out what newspaper databases are available to you.

Jefferson Parish Public Library card holders: Please note that your library offers the digitized Times-Picayune through NewsBank, which you can access online (http://lalibcon.state.lib.la.us) using your JPL library card. Other libraries around the country also subscribe to this or similar sites.

I know it is a long shot....but thought it can't hurt to ask  ;)

Thanks all :)

Jenny

Offline sstrickland47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 August 11 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hurriccane Katrina damaged many records in New Orleans. Much of the city was under water. Churches also maintained records if you know the area of the city or its suburbs and the relligion of the family . I grew up in New Orleans but have not been there in quite a few years.
Enniskillen, Cork, Cavan, Dublin ; families of Hodges, Carroll, Nevin, McCann; Jack, Felix, Hugh, & Lizzie McCann of Enniskillen

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 August 11 22:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks sstrickland47, I hadn't thought about the hurricane!
Unfortunately I have no idea of the church, religion or suburb the family lived in......Until recently I assumed they stayed in Scotland.....but apparently not  ;)

Offline sstrickland47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 August 11 19:34 BST (UK) »
James Rutherford is listed in the 1917 Orleans Parish Death Index. You may obtain a copy from:
The Louisiana Archives
P.O. Box 94125
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9125
Listing in Volume 170, Page 531

New Orleans was one of the largest ports in the US in the early part of the 20th century with much shipping and trade. A marine engineer could easily find work there.

Shirley
Enniskillen, Cork, Cavan, Dublin ; families of Hodges, Carroll, Nevin, McCann; Jack, Felix, Hugh, & Lizzie McCann of Enniskillen

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 August 11 00:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shirley, I will check it out  ;D

I really didn't know much about New Orleans, but that makes sense about the shipping and all.

Jenny

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Lookup - Research Library, Louisiana Archives Building - anyone visiting??
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 September 18 02:53 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

It has been a wee while since I looked into this Louisiana death....but I am wondering if anyone might be visiting the Louisiana Archives Building anytime soon?

I tried to obtain the 1917 death record for my relative James Rutherford online for $5 as described by Shellyesq, but the Louisiana Secretary of State website will not let me complete the order form for his death record as I am in Australia and don't have a US address, or phone number  ::)

https://www.sos.la.gov/HistoricalResources/ResearchHistoricalRecords/LocateHistoricalRecords/Pages/LouisianaDeathRecords.aspx

The website says that there is an alternative:

"You can also visit the research library at the Louisiana Archives Building, locate and view the microfilmed record using the volume and page details provided in your results. Patrons can also obtain a non-certified copy for 50 cents if they conduct their own research at the Louisiana State Archives Research Library."

The index shows:
Death - James Rutherford - Oct 1917 - aged 43yrs New Orleans, Louisiana, USA - pg 311, vol 170

Is anyone able to do a look up on my behalf at the Louisiana Archives Building?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am writing a book on this family, and this is one of the missing pieces of information I would love to know before I publish  ;)

Jenny