Author Topic: Pyper  (Read 11770 times)

Offline elly40

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pyper
« on: Saturday 09 April 11 01:05 BST (UK) »
hi trying to trace family history on my mothers side her father was daniel pyper from limavady found him age 5 in Residents of a house 8 in Distillery Road (Limavady Urban, Londonderry)in the 1911 census
his father was john pyper and mother was mary ann dorherty(she was a widow so her maiden name was mcnamara her father was daniel mcnamara from limavady a carter Residents of a house 47 in Ballyclose Street Limavaddy, Londonderry again found him in the 1901 census)  john's father was william pyper farmer from crindle but cannot find him in the census as the marriage was in1893 assuming he must have died between that year and the census was just wondering if anyone here maybe able to throw some on any of the names i have mentioned but espeically on william as he is not on the census guessing he would have been born around 1830ish

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: pyper
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 April 11 09:04 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

In case anyone else wants to see the census entries- here's 1911 (the child listed in the transcription as Juda Jane is actually Tilda Jane on the original page):
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Limavady_Urban/Distillery_Road/596925
and same family in same street in 1901:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Limavaddy/Distillery_Road/1525870

The civil registration index is online (free) and there seems to be only 1 possible death entry for William Pyper (unless he died before 1864):
William PYPER, age 78 (so born c1811), Jan./Mar.1889 Limavady registration district, volume 1 page 515. (not sure why you think he was alive in 1893- marriage certificates often don't note whether or not father is dead)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline elly40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Pyper
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 April 11 09:22 BST (UK) »
thanks very much
and i never thought of that he may have already been dead when marriage occurred should have done  but new to this, and get a liitle excited when i find something

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 April 11 09:50 BST (UK) »
High,
       The following may help. On 31 Jul 1854 William PIPER married Catherine Allan in Magilligan Presbyterian Church, Limavady. There is a widow, Catherine PYPER in Crindle, Myroe in the 1901 census.
For completeness I can find a William Dogherty who married Mary Ann McNamara on 4 Mar 1886 in Aghanloo Church of Ireland.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline elly40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 April 11 13:06 BST (UK) »
ok great thanks i had found the catherine in the cenus and was wondering if she was my great great grand mother as she was the only pyper i could find in crindle so that is fanastic i had also found the doherty mcnamara marriage had pieced that together from the cenus as i had found mcnamar's in the cenus and their grandson was there cenus night who was called william doherty so knew i had found great great grandparents on mary anns side i pieced together from that also that daniel mcnamara married roseann lagan 17th nove 1867 limavady catholic church drumachose newtown, just could find no records of william pyper on either emerald ancestors  ancestry.com or gene's reunited or the cenus did try google but nothing either maybe you'se could paste a good link as all my grandfathers family seem to orignate in derry thanks again for all help received

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 April 11 13:45 BST (UK) »
Here are marriages in Myroe Pres Church (including your ancestors).

John Pyper married Mary Ann Doherty 17th July 1893
James Pyper married Jane Simpson on 11th Nov 1890.
Hugh Pyper married Elizabeth Hall on 17th Sept 1896

I also have a John Pyper who married Elizabeth Patton (Bessie). Unfortunately no more details for this marriage but I was led to believe both families lived in Crindle. Bessie's sister, Ruth Patton, married my great uncle. I have details on this line of Pypers which I can send via the personal messaging system if you so wish. From the family tree I have, this John was born circa 1870.

Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 April 11 14:02 BST (UK) »
You will find a William Piper if you search Griffith's valuation. He is living in Crindle, Tamlaghtarde Parish.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

A wider search for the name Piper in County Londonderry gives the names of other Pipers living in the same parish.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 April 11 16:55 BST (UK) »
Please ignore my comment about Bessie Patton marrying a John Pyper. I have done a little more research this afternoon.

As I said I had been led to believe both families lived in Crindle. Bessie Patton's family certainly did before moving to Co Down and PERHAPS John Pyper's family did live in Crindle at a time . By 1911, however, John Pyper and Bessie his wife were living in Bryansford, Bangor, Co Down.

So following this John Pyper will not help you. Sorry!
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh

Offline elly40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 April 11 18:28 BST (UK) »
thank you so much take it that the 3 pypers are possibly  brothers so at least it's another lead to follow when you find something that matches it's brilliant but the brick walls can be fustrating as hitting them on both sides at the mom but will get there hopefully in the end again thanks to everyone for all there help