Author Topic: COMPLETED - BIDLAKE, HOSE and WAKEFIELD Manawatu/Wanganui families  (Read 12993 times)

Offline johnbarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I need a little help along the way !!
    • View Profile
Re: BIDLAKE, HOSE and WAKEFIELD Manawatu/Wanganui families
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 April 11 01:58 BST (UK) »
Sorry, the other two do not show on locator.
However, there is a Probate filed at Christchurch for
WAKEFIELD William Warren
Place Christchurch
Occupation Dealer
Court Christchurch
Archives Reference CAHX CH 171 14991
Probate Number 14991
Filed Date 30 May 1929

Not sure if any of these records are available after the 'quake.
John B
Barraclough, Barron, Hunter, Marsden, Pawson, Sowden, Street, Vowless,

Offline johnbarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I need a little help along the way !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 April 11 02:19 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this mention of a William Wakefield from Nelson at Feilding - which seems to tie in with some of your other details.  ???
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0cny/

John B
Barraclough, Barron, Hunter, Marsden, Pawson, Sowden, Street, Vowless,

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 April 11 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hehehe - I got caught out by that one last week!

It's the downside of researching a name where the surname = a place name, especially in the location where the family lived.

It actually says William (Wakefield, Nelson)  - as opposed to William Wakefield. 

I'll have to have a closer look at that William Warren.  I found an 1879 marriage for him to Mary Jane Atkins - if he were my William, he'd be 21, so he could conceivably have married, then remarried in 1885, but I'm doubting he's the one. 

I am seeing a pattern of first-born children being born before the wedding and not registered under either parent's name. 
My mum's family:  MESSENGER (=> NZ 1852), ROSCOE/ROSCOW, ROBINSON, GROOMBRIDGE (=> NZ 1909)
My dad's family:  WHITE, CROOK. (Devon => NZ), SCHAEFFER/SCHALFER (Eisenach, Germany), MCFADYEN (Scotland) (=> NZ 1870s)
My daughter's family:  HAILEY, WAKEFIELD (=> NZ 1850s)
My husband's family:  FLETCHER (Goole, Yorkshire => NZ),GREVERS (Wassenaar, Holland), HILL (Devon => Australia), NOTT (Australia)

Offline DelBoy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kiwi Born n' Bred
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 April 11 12:18 BST (UK) »
There are several school inspector records for  a 'Frederick Hose' Levin, 1895-1898 Wellington, are these of any help to you? Also a ' Fred Hose' school record 1893, parent James Hose  address levin, would you like this full record?

Del
Saunders/Sanders,Owen,Owens,Darrach,Wilson, Cardon,Gurney,Edwards, Holmes,Smith, Ohlson,Homewood,Shaw,Semple,Merrill,Smithyman,McCallum,Winslade,Morton,Hill,Donahoe,Inglis, Moore, Morgan, Lawrence/Laurence, Owen, Owens, Skelton,Steele, Caldwell, Wood, Parish,Read,Donaldson, Hill,Farren,Carnley, Bradford, Dugard, Lindsell, Restall, Plus many many more surnames, varied countries

Offline DelBoy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kiwi Born n' Bred
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 April 11 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi taonga,
Looks like George William d. 1967 age 82,  and Amelia Annie (Millie) d. 1971 age 84 are both buried at papakura Cemetery

Amelia Annie shows on the 1949 Franklin Electoral Roll at Drury  as does George William, his occupation labourer.

This ties in nicely with the burials above as Papakura & Drury  are esentially side by side.
Saunders/Sanders,Owen,Owens,Darrach,Wilson, Cardon,Gurney,Edwards, Holmes,Smith, Ohlson,Homewood,Shaw,Semple,Merrill,Smithyman,McCallum,Winslade,Morton,Hill,Donahoe,Inglis, Moore, Morgan, Lawrence/Laurence, Owen, Owens, Skelton,Steele, Caldwell, Wood, Parish,Read,Donaldson, Hill,Farren,Carnley, Bradford, Dugard, Lindsell, Restall, Plus many many more surnames, varied countries

Offline DelBoy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kiwi Born n' Bred
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 April 11 13:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your work John - very helpful!

I've been through all the William Wakefields on BDM who have died since 1898, and there are only three that could fit, including the one you've mentioned:

1922/3168 William Wakefield, 70 y (b. 1852)
1928/1325 William Wakefield, 76 y (b. 1852) (the one buried at Te Kuiti)
1929/3541 William Warren Wakefield, 72 y (b. 1857)

I can't link any of these three back to birth records, either under Wakefield, or under Lankow, the suspected mother's maiden name.  Any idea where the other two ended up?

How does the Lankow fit in ?

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED - BIDLAKE, HOSE and WAKEFIELD Manawatu/Wanganui families
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 April 11 13:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Del - the Frederick Hose information would be very useful.

I've got pretty much all the basic info I need on George and Amelia/Millie.  Of course, personal stories and photos would be nice!  Other than that, I know all the where, when and who for that family.

It's his parents and grandparents that I'm trying to demystify now.  Can't believe I didn't pick up on the lineage problem several years ago.

Just goes to show - don't assume anything, and check, recheck, double-check and get three sources for every fact!
My mum's family:  MESSENGER (=> NZ 1852), ROSCOE/ROSCOW, ROBINSON, GROOMBRIDGE (=> NZ 1909)
My dad's family:  WHITE, CROOK. (Devon => NZ), SCHAEFFER/SCHALFER (Eisenach, Germany), MCFADYEN (Scotland) (=> NZ 1870s)
My husband's family:  FLETCHER (Goole, Yorkshire => NZ),GREVERS (Wassenaar, Holland), HILL (Devon => Australia), NOTT (Australia)

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 April 11 13:08 BST (UK) »
Try Lankow without the second L - there are likely to be a lot.  They were a rather prolific German settler family in Nelson.   It would be Christina Lankow, who later married William Wakefield snr. 

I'm just guessing that, if William Wakefield jnr is her son, he would have possibly been born before she married and been registered under her maiden name, since I can't see a birth for him under Wakefield.  I think they were fairly relaxed about birth registrations anyhow.

I got caught out when researching another of her daughters, and a grandson was born with his mother's maiden name, then changed to his father's surname at some stage. 

Offline DelBoy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kiwi Born n' Bred
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 April 11 00:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Del - the Frederick Hose information would be very useful.

I've got pretty much all the basic info I need on George and Amelia/Millie.  Of course, personal stories and photos would be nice!  Other than that, I know all the where, when and who for that family.

It's his parents and grandparents that I'm trying to demystify now.  Can't believe I didn't pick up on the lineage problem several years ago.

Just goes to show - don't assume anything, and check, recheck, double-check and get three sources for every fact!

Hi, have p.m the records :)