Author Topic: Day family, Antigua and Sierre Leone  (Read 52799 times)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Charles Frederick Yeowell
    • View Profile
Re: Day family, Antigua and Sierre Leone
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 October 11 04:10 BST (UK) »
Forgot to mention in the previous,
I found a baptism for Sarah Dea (sic.) dau of Capt. Wm Dea at Odcombe, Somerset 5 Aug 1800. Odcombe is 3 miles W. of Yeovil. Good chance this is the baptism of Sarah Day wife of William Stewart Lodington.
Lorraine

Indeed!  An excellent find, Lorraine.

I know this next message is regarding the other thread about the Broade family but I thought I'd quickly mention it here and then post similar over there as well:

I have now found out that those Broades in Surrey seem to be unrelated to our Broades.  However, it still does seem as if one our Broades was a rector at the same parish as one of them.  Odd, I know.  There could, of course, be a distant relationship between them but I find Broades in that general area of Surrey as far back as the 17th Century.
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Broade (Benefield, Southwick, Turnastone, Mordiford)
Hereford (Sufton)
Pershall/Peshall (Horsley)
Ward (Lambeth, Bloomsbury & Westminster)
Stevens (Paddington & Oxford)
Hold (Newington & Winchmore Hill)
Ginger (Great Gaddesden & Flamstead)
Chidwick (Paddington, Chalfont St. Peter &Trowbridge)
Parrett (Paddington, Romsey, Fisherton Delamere, Dinton & Broad Chalke)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline CanberraPeter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 29 March 12 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi ...
I'm new to the RootsChat site, so bear with me...
Re Lorraine's post of 9 October 2011.  I am one of the descendants of the Camilla Lodington at the end of that post (G-G-Son).  She does indeed have descendants, mostly in New South Wales.  I know of 154 of them, but the true count will be closer to 400, I imagine.
I am also in contact with a lot of the Lodington branches in Australia (as far as I know, all Lodingtons in Australia are descendants of Kenneth William 1860; Cuthbert 1858 did not marry).  My count of descendants of John Day Lodington and Bridget McKenzie is 235, but again the true count is closer to 600 or 700, I guess.  Those I know of are spread over New South Wales and Victoria, with a few in Western Australia.
My knowledge of the Lodingtons goes back to Isaac Lodington b. about 1691, married Ann somebody.
I believe that William Day was Governor of Sierra Leone on 2 occasions, in 1803 and in 1805; it seemed to be an annual appointment.
I shall read the entire thread with interest, but right now it's after midnight and I need some beauty rest.
Peter in Canberra

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 03:31 BST (UK) »
Greetings Peter, Lorraine, et al.,

I have been in contact with Peter above via Private Message and one of the things we have been able to determine, is that the wife of Post-Capt. William Day, R.N., Governor of Sierra Leone, returned to England and became a Matron at the Royal Greenwich Hospital in Kent.  This was a Hospital associated with the Royal Navy, so it makes sense that Sarah Day, as a widow, could have ended up there.

Although I currently do not have the source as to whether this is definitely our Sarah Day, I have been able to find a burial for her on 18 March 1831 at Greenwich, Kent.  The burial register indicates she died at the Greenwich Hospital and was a Matron.

Whilst doing some research, I did find the following:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/british-army-nurses.htm

If you scroll down to Royal Navy nurses, you'll find that records for nurses (and presumably matrons) at the Royal Greenwich Hospital (where the Mrs. Day previously mentioned was listed) have been kept and are available to look at the National Records Centre at Kew.

Unfortunately I do not currently have a pass, so I'd have to visit Kew to be able to look into this.  As it happens though, I need to visit Kew anyway to pursue further details regarding Ensign Thomas Edward Lodington's army career.

- - -

Also, I have been trying to determine a bit more about the Sarah Smith who married John Day, of Antigua.  As Lorraine mentioned previously, there is reference to Sarah having other sisters.  One, Susanna, married John Taddy.  Here's the link: http://archive.org/stream/internationalgen00convuoft#page/xx/mode/2up/search/Taddy

Also note Horace Ludington, M.D.'s post at the top of that page.

Anyhow, having dug a bit deeper, I may have found something.

I quote a message I sent to Peter earlier:

I have the wife of John Day, of Antigua, as Sarah Smith.  They married on 25 September 1758 at St. Leonard's, Shoreditch, London.  I do not know who her father is but I do have note of a sister Susanna Smith who married John Taddy on 23 January 1745 at St. Clement Eastcheap, London.

Anyhow, having done some brief further research, it appears Sarah and Susanna maybe of the Smyth family of the Manor of Annables, Harpenden, Hertfordshire.

The National Archives site helps here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/A2A/records.aspx?cat=046-desi&cid=-1#-1

This specific record in particular is worth looking at:

Agreement  DE/Si/41665  30 Mar 1767

Contents:
Between the Rev Edmund Smyth, rector of Filgrave and Tyrringham, Bucks, clerk, executor of the will of Mary Greenhill, widow of the Rev Cleave Greenhill late of Abbots Langley, clerk, 1st, William Smyth of London, gentleman, Christopher Smyth of Northampton, Northampton, gentleman, Susanna Smyth of the same, spinster, and Susanna Taddy of Mansell Street, Goodmans Fields, London, widow, four of the legatees named in the will of the said Mary Greenhill, 2nd, and Langhorne Burton of Somersby, Lincoln, esquire, and Mary his wife, late Mary Walker, spinster, 3rd, for payment of legacies under the will of Mary Greenhill.
Signatures. 2 seals

Note also that the son of John Taddy and Susanna Smith was named Christopher Taddy.  The name may well have come through the Smith/Smyth family as there is a Christopher Smyth of Northampton mentioned above.

I'll try and find out more.

If this is correct, then this will extend our ancestry back even further.

As I am sure you are aware, we already have several descents from several different monarchs.  There is a chance there could be another shared here.

Any input, or thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

James R. Yeowell
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Hereford (Sufton)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 07:28 BST (UK) »
James

I have not followed this thread in detail, but there does still seem to be a question mark over Capt William Day's parents. Since you indicate that at some point you will be visiting Kew could I suggest you consult the following two documents - ADM 107/14 page 18, and ADM 6/91 page 36.

Both these documents relate to the Lieut. Passing Certificate (LPC) for a William Day dated 1790. According to the index of LPCs produced by Bruno Pappalardo, this includes birth details for William.

From a list of commissioned sea officers for this period there is a William Day who's Lieutenancy dates from 1794, but since there is only one William on the list this could be the date of his appointment at this rank, having passed the Navy Board in 1790.

Martin

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 11:24 BST (UK) »
Martin,

Although we do not have a christening for Post-Captain William Day, R.N., Governor of Sierra Leone, we know, via several sources, he was the son of a John Day, of Antigua.  We also have a Will for John Day, of Antigua, I believe.

However, I shall of course take a look at the two documents at Kew as any new information is very much required.  We believe he may have been born in Antigua but he could easily have been born in England, like his sister Ann Day.

Thanks for those references.  I shall note them down for when I next visit Kew.  It's always useful to have references beforehand, so I can save some time, as I have other searches to make as well.

Best regards,

James R. Yeowell
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Hereford (Sufton)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 11:37 BST (UK) »
Further to my last message.

Cobbett's political register, for 1802, lists under Ordnance-Office, 21 May 1802:

Naval Promotions

The following Commanders are promoted to the post of Post-Captains in the Royal Naval:-- William Day

So he was promoted to Post-Captain in May 1802.  He was Governor of Sierra Leone by 1803 for his first term.
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Hereford (Sufton)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 12:03 BST (UK) »
I have just transcribed a letter to be found online in The Papers of Henry Laurens, Volume 3: January 1, 1759 - August 31, 1763

To John Day

[Charles Town] 24 January 1763

Sir,
          Your favour of the 24th December to the late house of Austin,
Laurens, & Appleby which expir'd in August last, reach'd me the
11th Inst.  That which you refer to per Brigantine Portsmouth, Capt.
Burden, never came to hand, the said Brigantine being taken on her
passage hither by a Spanish Privateer & as I am inform'd is since
wreck'd & totally lost upon the Coast of Georgia but I shall write by
the first opportunity & make some further enquiry & if thing is
sav'd I shall cause a proper claim to be made upon your Account.  I
am further inform'd that Capt. Burden was unhappily slain by a
Shot from the Privateer which took his Vessel.
          Since the Account reach'd us of an intended suspension of
Arms & a prospect of a General peace in consequence thereof some
branches of our commerce, as I suppose have been the case in other
places, have been considerably influenced.  Rice had advanc'd 5/ per
Ct. from 35/ , a declining Sale, & freight is little enquir'd after.  The
price of Rum which before was very indifferent is falling & I see it
sold per Vendue at 6/ per Gallon.  When you think I can be service-
able to you here please to favour me with your commands, who am
with great respect---

Postscript.  February I, 1763.  Since writing as above I have seen the
Mate of the Portsmouth & got him to make out a protest which I
here inclose charg'd to your Account £5.15/ .  I have also seen one of
the Seaman who was on board when the Brigantine was Wreck'd &
he gives me no hopes of saving any part of her.

SOURCE: Letterbook copy, HL Papers, S. C. Hist. Soc.; addressed "Antigua"; "per Capt. Outerbridge."
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Hereford (Sufton)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 12:24 BST (UK) »
I have just come across a source on Google Books (A history of Sierra Leone) that says Post-Capt. William Day, R.N. was on half-pay and was born in the West Indies when he became Governor of Sierra Leone in 1803.  It also says he arrived with wife and child, suggesting his eldest child was not born there.  This fits for Sarah Day, who was born in Odcombe, Somerset in 1800 but it also fits for Harriet Day, who is said to have been born on Kent Road, London in 1802.

So I wonder which child they refer too?  I am presuming the youngest but then all their children would have been under the age of 10 at this time.

So now we at least know he was born in the West Indies.

- - -

William Day's son, John Day, died on 14th November 1853 in Deptford, Kent, as per Gentleman's Magazine.

The Obituary reads:

Nov. 14

At his brother-in-law's, Deptford, John Day, esq. late of New York and Liverpool, son of the late William Day, Post Capt. R.N. and Governor of Sierra Leone.

n.b. that brother-in-law appears to be John Stewart Lodington who resided at 5 Counter Hill Terrace, Deptford around 1848.

I also forgot to note that John Stewart Lodington was resident at Rokeby Road at the time of the 1851 Census.

Addendum: I have found his burial record.  It seems the Gentleman's Magazine Obituary should be for 1852.

He died on 14th November 1852 and his Abode at time of death was Rokeby Road, Deptford, Kent.  He was buried at St. Alphege, Greenwich on the 20th November 1852, aged 54 (so a birth year of approx. 1798).

Addendum: I have now found him on the 1851 census living as a Lodger, Unmarried (with the Lee family) at Devonshire Square, St. Botolph's Bishopsgate, London, age 52 and born in Sherborne, Dorset.  His occupation confirms it is him, as he's noted as an Agent in United States Cotton Business.

I've just checked the Dorset OPC site for Sherborne and I have found his baptism:

John child of William & Sarah DAY baptised   “   14

That is 14th June 1798 at the Parish Church, Sherborne, Dorset.

So that's 2 children down, 2 further to go!
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Hereford (Sufton)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 07:47 BST (UK) »
I believe that the Richard Harris, of Maidstone maybe a relative of the Richard Harris, of Hollingbourne and later of Turkey Mill, who was a paper maker.  His widow Ann married James Whatman, of Turkey Mill, Maidstone.

As an aside, the Bosanquet family who married into the Whatmans is linked into a different branch of my family (on my father's -- the Lodington's are on my mother's) thanks to Gaston Augustus Ives Bosanquet marrying Violet Cecilia Collyer, who is a Yeowell descendant.

Alas, I have no idea how or if Richard Harris, of Maidstone is linked but the fact that a researcher of the Whatman family was enquiring about him, suggests he could well be.
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Hereford (Sufton)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)