Author Topic: Day family, Antigua and Sierre Leone  (Read 14899 times)

Offline nicola0709

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Day family, Antigua and Sierre Leone
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 27 April 19 11:15 BST (UK) »
I have to admit, a m a bit of a novice, but I have a copy of a document (This Family Record 1724-1904 compiled by Frederick William Jackson - the elder - and presented to his Grandson Reginald Carmalt Jackson March 22, 1904) which lists out the family history (Jackson / Lodington / Soares / Henshaw / Carmalt / Day and a few others.)

It mentions a Thomas Lodington who married a Ann Golding Day, Daughter of John Day B: 1773 D: 1777 and Sarah Smyth B: 1735 (from Antigua). They had a daughter Ann Lodingtong 1795-1865 and she married 'the Chevalier George Ramsey" - no children to this marriage.

I was doing a search to find information out on this George Ramsay and came across this thread... where it mentions a George Ramus (??) with the odd mention of Ramsey.... then read further and saw the connection to Antigua.

I hope that this thread is still being monitored. I am wondering if my Ann Golding day is your Ann Slater Day (??). I haven't looked into the Day connection in Antigua, so many of the people mentioned throughout this post (except the lodingtons/jacksons etc) are not familiar to me.

I am one of those descended down through the Lodingtons and Jacksons here in Australia (Canberra), but come through the Frederick William Jackson who moved out here after the death of his wife Eleanor Ann Henshaw.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Downcraig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Day family, Antigua and Sierre Leone
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 28 April 19 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Nichola - thanks for your information - I continue to follow this thread and am interested in your post - I wonder if you could confirm the dates you have - John Day b. 1773 - d. 1777 cannot be correct as that makes him only 4 years old. Could you confirm what your F W Jackson presented. Also could you confirm Sarah Smyth's date of birth as that would mean she was 60 yrs old when Ann was born. I am interested to know where the name Golding comes from too. I like the Ramsey for Ramus connection though. It is a complicated web. I am descended from Elizabeth Day daughter of John of Antigua and possibly Sarah Smyth though I have not been able to make a definitive connection with Sarah. However, it is good that you have that name specifically in your record as it has so far been conjecture. Many thanks and let's see if we can prove anything beyond doubt.
Kyle, Sibbat, Rea/Rae, Haw/Hall (All Portglenone)
Day (Antigua)
Lamont (Greenock)
Currie, McPhail, Morison, McArthur (All Craignish/Kilmartin area)
Ferrier (Cardross)
Logan (Larbert)
Paisley (Paisley)
Croom, Speid (Dundee)
Bushell (Liverpool)
Longton (Stockport/Liverpool)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.