Author Topic: Day family, Antigua and Sierre Leone  (Read 52889 times)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Charles Frederick Yeowell
    • View Profile
Re: Day family, Antigua and Sierre Leone
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 October 11 22:46 BST (UK) »
Then I have a marriage reference from the Gentleman's Magazine February 1777 - 15 John Day, Esq. of the Middle Temple, Advocate General in the East Indies, to Miss Ramus, of St. James palace. (Don't know if this one is related but it was of interest).

Zing!

I have a Ramus (or possibly Ramsay) marrying a Lodington.

Ann Lodington (born 19 September 1795, christened 10 Dec 1795, Old Church, St. Pancras), daughter of Thomas Lodington and Ann Day, married George Ramus on 26 September 1828 in Wandsworth, Surrey.

On Familysearch his name is Ramus.  In Thomas Lodington's will, he notes a daughter Mrs. Ramsay.

Addendum:

Her name was Benedicte Ramus and she married John Day on 15 February 1777 at St. Martin in the Fields, Westminter (so St. James' Palace would fit for this).

According to an entered entry on FamilySearch, this Sir John Day was born 1 June 1738 at Kew and died 11 June 1808.  She was the daughter of Nicholas Ramus and Benedicte Couvert and died 20 May 1811.  I'll follow him up... he may well have a link but it's looking unlikely, despite my own link to to the Ramus family.
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Broade (Benefield, Southwick, Turnastone, Mordiford)
Hereford (Sufton)
Pershall/Peshall (Horsley)
Ward (Lambeth, Bloomsbury & Westminster)
Stevens (Paddington & Oxford)
Hold (Newington & Winchmore Hill)
Ginger (Great Gaddesden & Flamstead)
Chidwick (Paddington, Chalfont St. Peter &Trowbridge)
Parrett (Paddington, Romsey, Fisherton Delamere, Dinton & Broad Chalke)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 October 11 22:56 BST (UK) »
I'm copying this from the other thread, as it is very much of interest here:

I forgot some things that I am not sure if I mentioned before.  If I have, then many apologies.  Sometimes though it is worth going over old ground.

A while back I found a link in a Google Book (although not the direct link the book, there is mention of it here: http://newsfeed.rootsweb.com/th/read/HOLLIDAY/1999-09/0937485980) for a christening for a John Day, at St. James Garlickhithe, London for 12 August 1733.  The source was about apprenticeships.  Anyhow, in it, it notes he was the son of John Day (a wax chandler) and Lydia.  He was admitted from St. James Garlickhithe to his mother Lydia Day to serve Mr. John Holliday, of Antigua, merchant, on 3 February 1748.

The John Holliday alias Halliday in question might be the one who married Elizabeth Delap (by license) on 17 December 1741 at St. Paul's Church, Antigua.

Their issue included:

1. Francis Halliday, chr. 12 January 1743, St. John's, Antigua
2. John Delap Halliday, of the Leasowes, Shropshire, born 29 September 1749, chr. 23 November 1749, St. John's, Antigua and died 24 July 1794, Leasowes, Salop (married and had issue)
3. William Halliday, chr. 19 December 1751, St. John's, Antigua (married)
4. Margaret Delap Halliday, born 1753 (married)
5. Francis Delap Halliday, christened 30 October 1758 in Richmond upon Thames, Surrey and died 6 November 1794, Fyfield, Hampshire
6. Elizabeth Halliday

Some of their children and grandchildren married into gentry familes, including the Tollemache, Stratford , Wolseley and the French comte de Noé's.

Of course, I do not believe there is a family link between the Days and the Hallidays but I would not be surprised to find there is, either.

Do you think it likely the John Day above is the same individual who was later "of Antigua" and the father of Elizabeth, Ann and Post-Capt. William Day, R.N., Governor of Sierra Leone?

The date of christening definitely seems to fit.

Any thoughts on this would be most welcomed.

Addenda: John Day and Lydia had two further issue:

Margaret Day, christened 12 November 1735 at St. James, Garlickhithe
Harbitt Day (male), christened 12 June 1737 at St. James, Garlickhithe and buried 10 September 1737 at St. James, Garlickhithe

The name Harbitt is unusual.  It could relate to a surname of a family member or it may be a complete red-herring.  I did some searching before without much luck.

Further to the above, I also found this:

http://www.londonlives.org/browse.jsp?div=GLCCMC25105MC251050320

To quote:

Court day Continued October the 3d: 1732

Johnson to Day
Consented That John Johnson Son of Robert Johnson of the Parish of Saint James-
Garlickhith London Labourer bound to Thomas Banbury Citizen and Carpenter of London having
Sued out his Indentures be assigned to John Day Citizen and Wax Chandler sed arte
Carpenter for the remainder of his Apprenticeshipp

I hope this of some use to you and may help us get a bit closer to finding out more about the Day family.

Best regards,

James R. Yeowell
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Hereford (Sufton)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 October 11 23:03 BST (UK) »
One more thing before I do some searching:

I notice you found a John Day and Sarah Smith marriage.

The surname Smith is quite prevalent in the Lodington tree.  These Smiths are all related as well.  So it could be the case that if this is the correct marriage for John Day, then his wife could conceivably be related to the Smiths who married into the Lodingtons.

Just a thought.

James R. Yeowell
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Hereford (Sufton)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 October 11 23:19 BST (UK) »
Yet another post from me!  I just spotted something on my database:

Nathaniel Lodington, of Putney, buried 24 January 1706, St. Mary, Putney and son of Stephen Lodington, of St. Olave's, Bread Street, London and his wife Elizabeth Neesham, of Kingston upon Thames, Surrey (daughter of Thomas Neesham and his wife Cattalina Johnson) apparently married a Jeane Smith.  Her father is supposedly a John Smith, I have noted she has three siblings, viz.

1. Col. William Smith, born 2 February 1655 in Newton Bromswold, Northamptonshire, christened 15 Feb 1655, St. Peter's Church, Newton Bromswold and died 18 February 1705/05, St. George's Manor, Setauket, Brook Haven, Suffolk County, New York
2. Elizabeth Smith married John Erlisman, consul at Tangier
3. Susannah Smith

Can anyone hunt down who the father is and whether he could be related to the Smiths who married into the Days?

Also worth noting is that although I know the father of Nathaniel Lodington, of Putney (Stephen Lodington), I cannot fit them into my own Lodington family. 

Nathaniel Lodington was a Consul in Malta and Tripoli.

This is the source for the above: http://brookhavensouthhaven.org/hamletpeople/tng/getperson.php?personID=I6513&tree=hamlet

Addendum: for all those reading with a descent from Thomas Lodington and Ann Day, I have some excellent news.  We can all trace our lineage back to Charlemagne, as well as more directly through Aethelred II, Henry I and although not a royal, Rollo, duc de Normandie and ancestor of William I., King of England, duc de Normandie (aka William the Conquerer).

This is through several lines but some are a bit shaky.  One is fairly solid though, I believe.  Another I am trying to determine, as I know the wife of Richard Hereford, of Sufton Court, was of the Pershall (aka Persall/Pearsall) family and thus she is a descendant of Aethelred II., the Unready and likely several other monarchs.

If you require details as to these lineages and would also like to assist me in shoring up some of them, I would be most grateful.  You maybe even find errors in my own data.

If you want to start though, I shall highlight some of the lineage below:

1. Thomas Lodington and Ann Day
2. Thomas Lodington and Elizabeth Moore
3. Thomas Lodington and Anne Broade
4. Rev. Thomas Broade, M.A., B.A., rector of Chaldon, Surrey and Ann Lodington (I've yet to fit her in by I have an idea who she might be)
5. Rev. Francis Broade, M.A., B.A., prebendary of Hereford Cathedral and Anne Hereford
(5. Rev. Thomas Broade, of Mordiford, Herefordshire and Margery Hereford)
6. James Hereford, of Sufton Court, Herefordshire and Hester Holmes
7. Roger Hereford, of Sufton Court, Herefordshire and Frances Rodd (parents of both Margery Hereford and James Hereford above)
8. Richard Hereford, of Sufton Court and Margaret Pershall (there's a lot of doubt, in my mind, about her supposed father in the online records I've found)

The proven royal lineage however comes through the Holmes:

1. Hester Holmes and James Hereford
2. Robert Holmes, of Netherton, Gloucestershire and Elizabeth Kyrle
3. Francis Kyrle, High Sheriff of Herefordshire and Hester Tracy
4. Sir Paul Tracy, Bt., Sheriff of Gloucestershire and Anne Shakerley
5. Richard Tracy, Sheriff of Gloucestershire and Barbary Lucy
6. Sir Thomas Lucy, of Charlecote and Elizabeth Empson
7. Edmund Lucy, of Charlecote and Jane Ludlow
8. Sir William Lucy, of Charlecote and Margaret Brecknock
9. William Lucy, of Charlecote and Eleanor Grey

The Lucy's continue on through to Bernard the Dane (although it is within question)

10. Reynold de Grey, 3rd Lord of Ruthyn and Margaret de Ros
11. Reynold de Grey, 2nd Lord of Ruthyn and Eleanor Strange
12. Roger de Grey, Lord of Ruthyn and Elizabeth Hastings
13. John de Hastings, Lord of Bergavenny and Isabel de Valence
14. William de Valence and Joan de Munchensy
15. Warin de Munchensy and Joan Marshal

The Marshal/Mareschal's also continue through to Bernard the Dane

Many of these lines will likely lead to a royal line without too much research.
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Hereford (Sufton)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 00:12 BST (UK) »
A few quick queries:

1. Elizabeth Day married Charles Wills Walrond on 18 May 1777 -- however, Ann Day, her sister, was supposedly born on 13 October 1771.  This either suggests more than just the four children found so far, or a very late birth for Ann.  Also worth noting (I didn't notice it the first time around) is that the wedding notice in Gentleman's Magazine indicates Mr. Day (Elizabeth's father John Day) as deceased.  Meaning he was deceased before 18 May 1777.  It also means therefore he died after 13 October 1771 (when he was in London).

2. You note that the book on Sierra Leone notes Post-Capt. William Day, R.N., was born in the West Indies (likely Antigua), so this probably indicates that his father John Day, of Antigua, either returned home to England (if the record I found for a John Day being an apprentice to the Hallidays is correct) after he had spent some time out there or he frequently travelled back and forth between the two.  If the marriage Lorraine found is correct, then it seems he married Sarah Smith in London in 1758 (and this fits perfectly for a christening of 12 August 1733) and thus could indicate again that he travelled back and forth.  Elizabeth Day, as we known, married in Edinburgh in 1777, so again, it looks like she was either born in England and travelled back or she was born in England but never travelled to Antigua.

3. So have we any records of John Day being out in Antigua apart from there being the suffix "of Antigua" and the possibility of the apprenticeship I found being associated with him?  As well as the fact his son William Day being born out there.  It looks as though he either only had a brief stay out in Antigua or he was a frequent traveller back and forth.  I am going to try and locate a burial for him in England between 1771 and 1777.

4. William Day's will mentions his brother John Day.  I did not know about this information.  Could someone be so kind as to send me a copy of the Will (or a transcription) indicating his children?  I also note William Day had a son named John Day.  Do we know anything further about him?
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Hereford (Sufton)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 00:57 BST (UK) »
I have just been doing a quick search on the Taddy family.  There was a Clergyman in the family, which does not surprise me.  Anyhow, it seems this chap Rev. John Taddy, M.A., B.A., perpetual curate of Northill, Bedfordshire, may have been a grandson of the John Taddy who married Susanna Smith.

First I quote the following:

Source: David Olby, Prerogative Court of Canterbury, Probate 9 Nov 1781
Elizabeth Petman (widow of John Petman) of the City of Canterbury , will dated 31 October 1781
gives her marshlands in the parish of Ash next Sandwich to "Edward Taddy son of my late kinsman James Taddy deceased who was one of the sons of my late uncle James Taddy also deceased."
She leaves money bequests to " my kinsman Roger Taddy who was another of the sons of my said uncle James Taddy: and to "Christopher Taddy the son of my kinsman John Taddy deceased."
She leaves a "messuage in Canterbury to her "kinsman Emerson Mussared son of my uncle Edward Mussared."
And a "messuage and lands in the parish of St. Peter, Isle of Thanet to Elizabeth Underdown daughter of my said late kinsman James Taddy."
Money bequests to "Sarah Taddy widow of my late kinsman James Taddy": to "Sarah Frend wife of the Rev. Mr. Frend":to "my kinswoman Jane Abbot wife of Rev. Mr. Abbot": and to "my goddaughter Mary Frend": and to "William Cooper of Ramsgate son of my kinswoman Elizabeth Cooper deceased": and to "my kinswoman Elizabeth Peacock wife of Mr. Peacock and dau. of my kinswoman Sarah Moverley": and to "Ann Bush ye wife of William Bush now living at or near Pool in Dorsetshire and who is the great-granddaughter of my aunt Stevens late of Ramsgate aforesaid deceased": and to "Jeremiah Moverley and William Moverley ye two children of ye said Ann Bush by her first husband": and to "John Hudson the son of Thomas Hudson of Canterbury, carpenter": to her "servant Susanna Read": to her "servant Ann Vandonie(?)": and to "Emerson Mussared her sole executor".
Her body is to be buried "in the church of St. John Isle of Thanet" (This is now referred to as Margate parish church -DSO).

Then I link to the following, which shows the children of Christopher Taddy (presumably the one mentioned above and son of John Taddy): http://www.tim.ukpub.net/pl_tree/ps35/ps35_475.html

This Christopher Taddy, as you can see, married Mary Anne Hopkins, daughter of Sir John Hopkins, Lord Mayor of London.  So it does all seem to fit quite nicely.  I shall dig a bit further and hopefully I will find Richard Harris, of Maidstone, Kent as well.

Addendum: although I cannot access this page for some peculiar reason (www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=62979), it does prove that Christopher Taddy was son of John Taddy (a druggist) and Susanna (his widow by this point).
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Hereford (Sufton)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 02:34 BST (UK) »
It also mentions a Mr Moore of Langley, Bucks and a George Charles Nixon but without explanation.

Thomas Lodington (husband of Ann Day) had a mother named Elizabeth Moore.  It could just be a coincidence but I'll have a look.  I have yet to establish anything about Elizabeth Moore yet.
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Hereford (Sufton)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline brothers-searcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 October 11 10:21 BST (UK) »
OK where to start:
I found another marriage for a John Day marrying a Sarah Smith, this time a Fleet Registers  (non-conformist and Non-parochial) marriage on 26 August 1751 John is shown as a Packer (what was that in 1751) and their abode at the time of marriage was Great St Clears London.

I guess there is a possibility that Ann Day's mother may not have been the same as Elizabeth, I see many second families in my research into other families so it is certainly something to keep in mind.

I have requested an estimate from the National Archives for a copy of William Day's Lieutenant's Passing certificate which apparently holds birth information, will keep you posted with that one.
Now I will go back a few steps to a reference made much earlier to a John Day Lodington who came to Australia: I have traced him and found that
1: He arrived in Western Australia as Purser on the P.&O. "Larkins" and subsequently became P&O agent in Albany.
2: He was the son of William Stewart Lodington and married Bridget McKenzie dau of Hugh McKenzie and Emily Hinds (Hugh McKenzie was born in Kirkcudbright Scotland in 1804 to Hugh McKenzie and Bridget Erskine and went to New Brunswick in Canada and came to Australia with his five brothers and their families in 1841 on their own ship called "Brothers").
3: John Day Lodington had three children Camilla Sarah 1856 Albany; Cuthbert Hugh 1858 Sydney and Kenneth William 1860 Albany; Bridget died in Albany in 1860 and John Day Lodington died in Victoria in 1882. Kenneth William settled in Victoria and is able to be traced through the BDM records for Victoria.  There are certainly Lodington descendants still in Victoria. Camilla Sarah seems to have married in New South Wales and potentially has descendants.

James can you message me you email address so that I can send you the will of Capt. William Day
Lorraine
Down - Colney Hatch, Tiverton Devon, Pilton Devon, East Down Devon;
Barker - Dumfries Scotland, Castlemaine Victoria, Sydney Australia;
Lodington - London
Rutherford - Dumfries, Earlston, Hownam, Chatto
Maxwell - Dumfries, Munches
Harris - Newcastle on Tyne
Mann - Gloucester
Wheare - Cornwall
Morris - NSW; Victoria
Anseline - NSW
Fenwick - NSW; Newcastle upon Tyne

Offline brothers-searcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 October 11 11:58 BST (UK) »
Forgot to mention in the previous,
I found a baptism for Sarah Dea (sic.) dau of Capt. Wm Dea at Odcombe, Somerset 5 Aug 1800. Odcombe is 3 miles W. of Yeovil. Good chance this is the baptism of Sarah Day wife of William Stewart Lodington.
Lorraine
Down - Colney Hatch, Tiverton Devon, Pilton Devon, East Down Devon;
Barker - Dumfries Scotland, Castlemaine Victoria, Sydney Australia;
Lodington - London
Rutherford - Dumfries, Earlston, Hownam, Chatto
Maxwell - Dumfries, Munches
Harris - Newcastle on Tyne
Mann - Gloucester
Wheare - Cornwall
Morris - NSW; Victoria
Anseline - NSW
Fenwick - NSW; Newcastle upon Tyne