Author Topic: Ballykelly Presbytarian Church - lookups?  (Read 2455 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ballykelly Presbytarian Church - lookups?
« on: Monday 11 April 11 03:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I believe that I will find records about my Ramage family on the Ballykelly Presbyterian Church records.  From following some of the posts I think these are at the Coleraine FH library?  I guess that they will also be available for getting from the LDS site and viewing here in NZ. 

I am wondering if anyone does do lookups there and would look for some Ramages.

Ramages leased land at Shanreagh and were in Griffiths valuation, Flax growers etc.  I have found an on line reference to the  1870 marriage of my gt grandfather Erwin/Irwin/William Ross Ramage known as Ross Ramage to Catherine Harris and the christening of some of their children at Tamlaght Finlagan COI church.
Ross Ramage was born to Isaac Ramage and Nancy poss 1842   but the family believe Ross Ramage was Presbyterian and was buried from a Presbyterian church in Auckland NZ when he died in 1905. 
My Gt gt grandmother Nancy Ramage was buried at Tamlaght Finlagan Old Burying ground in 1885.  She was married to Isaac Ramage.   I have not been able to locate any marriage or other record for Isaac and Nancy or earlier.

There are Ramages showing up being married at St Columb in Londonderry in the 1780s/1790s with the same names Ross and Isaac but I am a couple of generations away yet from Ross born in about 1842. 

Hoping that some one does do look-ups. I would be most grateful. 

Did I read that the lists were available on CD?

Cathy aka Shanreagh

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ballykelly Presbytarian Church - lookups?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 April 11 22:00 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if the name was sometimes spelt as Ramsey?

A search of the 1831 census [head of household] for Tamlaght Finlagan [Ballykelly],

There are no Ramages in the parish but 2 heads of households named Isaac Ramsey

Isaac Ramsey in Broharris, T Finlagan
Isaac Ramsey in Shanreagh, T Finlagan      

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 April 11 23:21 BST (UK) »
There is a Ramage christening in Christchurch, Drumachose [Limavady Church of Ireland] that would appear to be a brother of your Ross Ramage:

Benjamin Rammage christened 19 May 1845 son of Isaac & Nancy Rammage

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 02:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gortinanima

I had seen the 1831 spelling and had thought that the Ramseys at Broharris and Shanreagh in 1831 were probably Ramages mispelt ...but had not got the step further and done some additional searching for Ramseys ...will do!

Re Benjamin Ramage I think also that this is a brother and have done searching for him and found his descendants/locations/marriage...am mindful though that my mum had copied down a note from her mother (Ross Ramage's daughter) to  to say that 'Ross Ramage was an only child'.  I think also  a Sarah Anne Ramage born in 1854 to Isaac and Nancy is a sister.  There is a 9 year gap between Benjamin and Sarah and there are several other Ramages around that may fit in the gap perhaps a Joseph (who was a witness at Ross Ramage's wedding) or a John (from Broharris) or Robert or Hugh but I cannot make the links yet.  Hence the idea that they may all be waiting to be discovered in the Ballykelly Presbyterian records!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 08:12 BST (UK) »
Cathy,
         Another name for your files. 7 Jan 1868 John Leslie S. Ramage married Elizabeth Gordon in Ballykelly Church of Ireland.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim