Author Topic: Thomas GOODE Goolwa South Australia  (Read 17407 times)

Offline jial

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas GOODE Goolwa South Australia
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 05 April 14 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Cheran,

Thank you for the feedback and the useful links.
Your assistance much appreciated

Regards
Jial

Offline jial

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 05 April 14 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Cheran,

It was useful that George Pateshall had a job to go to on arrival in SA but it was a big comedown for him. His father had farmed 373 acres and employed 5 men and a boy.
In 1971 George Pateshall was farming 208 acres end employed  6 labourers, 2 women and 2 boys.
In 1876-7 George Pateshall had moved to Kingsland and had become an  auctioneer, valuer, land, estate, and insurance agent, living in a Brick house. Probably his next job was working for Thomas Goode in his shop in, what must have been fairly rough conditions at Goolwa. What a step down! And it must have been hard to keep his faily on a shop assistants wage.

I think that farming in Engalnd in the 1970's was going through very hard times with poor summers and falling prices for farm goods due to cheap imports especially from USA as well as Australia. By leaving in 1878 he missed the worst summer of all in 1879 which wiped out many farmers. The social history helps provide the setting for the action of migration.

Cheers
Jial

Offline Gooder52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Cheran and others
My name is Richard Goode. A resident of the Barossa Valley in SA.
I am a direct descendant of the Thomas Goode mentioned in these pages. I can trace our family history back to THOMAS AND SARAH GOODE of Westwood Park, Thornbury.
Then Thomas (1752) who married Elizabeth Abel.
Then Samuel (1794) who married Anne Tolley
Then Thomas (1816) who married Catherine Powell
Then Thomas II (1846) who married June Harkes Johnston, and later Margaret Ricthie
Then George Roy (1847) 8th child, who married Dorothy Bruce (Dorrie)
Then Ross Roy (1922) my father and still alive. who married Nora Evelyn Kennedy.

I have extensive information on our family, in particular on descendants of Thomas II.

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Cheran and others
My name is Richard Goode. A resident of the Barossa Valley in SA.
I am a direct descendant of the Thomas Goode mentioned in these pages. I can trace our family history back to THOMAS AND SARAH GOODE of Westwood Park, Thornbury.
Then Thomas (1752) who married Elizabeth Abel.
Then Samuel (1794) who married Anne Tolley
Then Thomas (1816) who married Catherine Powell
Then Thomas II (1846) who married June Harkes Johnston, and later Margaret Ricthie
Then George Roy (1847) 8th child, who married Dorothy Bruce (Dorrie)
Then Ross Roy (1922) my father and still alive. who married Nora Evelyn Kennedy.

I have extensive information on our family, in particular on descendants of Thomas II.

Richard

Great to be in contact.  I would enjoy reading a little moore re your family and happy to share what I have so far...if you PM me with your email address I can forward on my reports.  (sorry Richard, you will need to do 3 posts before you can use the PM option)

Regards

Cheran

Offline Gooder52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Cheran
We are travelling to the UK in July-Aug this year, and plan to spend a few days in Hereford shire. I am interested  in visiting Westwood farm and Thornbury parish. I wonder if There is a way making a connection during our visit.
Do you know if family origins are through St Peters or St Anna?

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Richard

I can't help too much with you there as not in England....  I was always looking for the connection with Catherine Powell as her mother Mary Cartwright first marriage is to George Colebatch before she marries John Powell 21 November 1816 in Little Hereford.... and then the link into the Goode family

We have been to Middleton-on-the-Hill church where Catherine was baptised 11 February 1819...  It is beautiful part of the world and the Road from Little Hereford is amazing with lots of links to family..

not far from Brimfield where Thomas and Catherine were married in 4 November 1844.  Again a beautiful little Church.

Just a lovely part of the world!

Cheran

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 19 January 19 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Richard

thought you might like the newspaper photo of Thomas and Catharine marriage!

Cheran 8)

Offline TimBG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 15 July 19 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am interested in the family of Thomas Goode of Goolwa. His Grandparents,  Thomas Goode and Elizabeth Goode [nee Abel] are also my direct descendants [GGGG Grandparents]. As I live in the Uk about 1 hours drive from Thornbury and Pigeon house I have had the fortune to visit the area several times recently. It is beautiful and the churches are amazing. The small church in Kyre near Pigeon house farm, where they died, offers free refreshments and a Capability Brown garden next to it [also free to visit!]
If anyone has details of these above relatives I would love to exchange information. I expect to visit Goolwa in September.
Tim

Offline TimBG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 15 July 19 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
The graves of Thomas and Elizabeth Goode [nee Abel] are in St. Annas Churchyard, Thornbury. There is a church yard plan in the church. Also a marble memorial in the Bell tower to other Goodes. But the graves themselves are covered with moss and Lichen. The list of churchwardens contains numerous Goodes going back to 1596.
Church House next to St. Annas was commissioned by Thomas Goode but he never lived there.
The church at Kyre is worth a visit but no Goode memorials.  The Edvin Ralph church is next to a moated deserted medieval village. All worth a visit.