Author Topic: Ancient burial ( weird topic, I know )  (Read 6283 times)

Offline johnburnette122

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient burial ( weird topic, I know )
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Westminster Abbey, the traditional place of coronation and burial for English monarchs, is one of the most popular historic sites in England. During a recent excavation in the great Abbey, some fifty skeletons were uncovered from the 11 th and 12 th century crammed together beneath a lavatory block.  The discovery may provide experts with an insight into the history of medieval England and especially the late Anglo-Saxon and the early Norman periods.
Here is one of the interesting Article having more info on the Topic https://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/ancient-skeletons-discovered-0010955...

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient burial ( weird topic, I know )
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 10:35 GMT (UK) »
The ghosts of suicides, and criminals, were regarded as dangerous and as well as a stake driven through the body, a stone was also placed over the face. The stake and stone were intended to prevent the restless ghost from wandering and troubling the neighbourhood. Cross Roads are universally believed to be the common resort of evil spirits, not only haunted by the ghosts of people buried there, but also as ghosts would be often passing along the roads from other places of burial to their former homes, they would be more numerous at cross-roads. Also it was believed throughout Europe that witches and warlocks gathered at crossroads, or upon mountain tops, to conduct their Sabbaths.

Stan

It is also a common belief that extremely good blues guitarists frequented crossroads to learn their trade from the devil.😈☺☺☺
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.