Author Topic: 2 Missing McD*v*tt's?  (Read 3380 times)

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
2 Missing McD*v*tt's?
« on: Tuesday 12 April 11 22:30 BST (UK) »
McD # 1  My great Uncle Edward was in WW1. assuming he was in the CEF . Havent been able to locate his grave or any other information. He was a Sapper and his name Edward McDevitt born 1869 Ireland but would have signed up in Montreal. He was a widower. I know that the names can be really mangled in transcription as I have found some versions of the surname that are unrecognizable and found by a fluke..

McDevitt # 2/3...Agnes Towie Cunningham ( wife)  and wondering where on earth Charles Peter McShane McD*V got to. I have browsed and rebrowsed the Cenuses both Canadian and USA? He was born 1886ish in Ireland. Lived in Montreal also.
Appreciate any help. Than you.
Ire Co Arm Seagoe Drumon/Drumlin Hill JOYCE/HOUSTON John/JOYCE Isabella /ARMSTRONG Graham = son ARMSTRONG Wm Valentine ca 1809 (wf} Hannah Johnston MILLER ca 1823 Seago Arm Ire  aft1840 in Glasgow Scot dau Isabella 1847 + John M'D s/o Co DERRY Edw McD*V*TT//DAID {wf} Eliz 'CL*SKY/M'SHANE/DUFF Ire = DOYLE,Jos + Mary M'GINITY/ m ca1840 = Can PEI Hope Riv/ DOWDS,Bridget ca1819 d/o John DOWD + Mary WOODS ca1840 PEI Can UK  REINE/RIIM = Adrianoff/Mary//Sweden/Baltics/Baron VON Stiegler/Toxteth Park

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Missing McD*v*tt's?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 23:13 BST (UK) »
You can check Attestation Papers for Canadian Soldiers of the First World War at

www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/index-e.html

You can also check the 1881 and 1891 Canada census at
www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/index-e.html
you can use pdf or jpeg to look at original documents

1901 and 1911 census at
http://automatedgenealogy.com
you can use the split screen option to look at original documents.

You may want to check out this site as well

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/#start

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 04:43 BST (UK) »
Marriage of Charles Peter McShane McDevitt, machinist, of Montreal was on 21 April 1914 in the Westmount Methodist Church to Agnes Towie Cunningham of Montreal. Charles' parents were given as John McDevitt (deceased) and Isabella Armstrong of Montreal.  Agnes' parents were John Cunningham and Elizabeth Towie of Renton, Scotland.

Death of Isabella Mary Armstrong McDevitt, widow of John McDevitt of Belfast Ireland buried Mount Royal Cemetery. Death 30 March 1917 at age 68.

There is a marriage in the Catholic church of St. Patrick - Montreal for
Edward McDevitt, machinist, a/o John McDevitt (deceased) and Isabella Armstrong of Londonderry, Ireland to Mary Ann Crowe, widow of John Lee on 20 August 1906.

Debbie

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 07:45 BST (UK) »
I've been looking through various years of Montreal directories at the BNQ website - http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/ and so far I have not seen Charles or Edward listed in any of the years I've looked at. I saw a few entries for John McDavitt/McDevitt and for I. McDavitt/McDevitt (widow) but the only other names I've seen are James, Mrs. S. McDevitt widow of John, Hugh, Henry and a few others.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 18:43 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to Valeriec,cosmac,JacquieinCanada....My McD's came to Canada variously from 1904 & 1908. My Granny arrived at Ellis Island New York City and took the train up to Montreal in  September 1904. That's a big hint for people who may not find kin in ie: Canada's ports of entry.
The John McD mentioned in the Montreal City Directories is the 2nd son. He died in Vancouver,BC. Both John and James McD signed up for WW1. I have their papers. I found  GtUncle William Valentine McD (42) marrying 1924 March 3rd, a 2nd time at Windsor, Ontario to a Sarah Manuel (28) of Philadelphia. Both widowed. She was young enough to bear children. A friend tells me that Manuel pronounced Manool is a Cornsih name.
Even being creative; I can find no one whose data resembles GtUncle Eddie in the Attestation papers. Can find no Commonwealth Grave Burial..If a body wasnt found ( he didnt get out of the way quick enough setting a charge) but I assumed commonsense would tell the CEF that he was dead....so would "proof" be needed I wonder. Eddie married a widow named Mary Ann  Lee nee Crowe in 1906 August and she was dead  in early  January of 1907. Its also said that Charlie McD died in California by 1922....too bad our Canadian Census stops at 1911 or 1916 if its Praririe Provinces. McDevitt/McDavitt/McDivitt/ and a few other spellings including McDevilt as the t wasnt always crossed. I even looked under McDaid as that was an aka.
Ire Co Arm Seagoe Drumon/Drumlin Hill JOYCE/HOUSTON John/JOYCE Isabella /ARMSTRONG Graham = son ARMSTRONG Wm Valentine ca 1809 (wf} Hannah Johnston MILLER ca 1823 Seago Arm Ire  aft1840 in Glasgow Scot dau Isabella 1847 + John M'D s/o Co DERRY Edw McD*V*TT//DAID {wf} Eliz 'CL*SKY/M'SHANE/DUFF Ire = DOYLE,Jos + Mary M'GINITY/ m ca1840 = Can PEI Hope Riv/ DOWDS,Bridget ca1819 d/o John DOWD + Mary WOODS ca1840 PEI Can UK  REINE/RIIM = Adrianoff/Mary//Sweden/Baltics/Baron VON Stiegler/Toxteth Park

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 April 11 16:11 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0cqx/    Can't see your missing family either...May have been inked over or missing files.

Burial records...you can try other spellings http://www.cimetierenddn.org/en/research/locate.htm
Walter Philip Mcdevitt 1965, Sarah 1945, James 1931, and James Francis 1955
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 April 11 18:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks J.J.