Author Topic: Hotel at 13 Mar Place Alloa  (Read 4502 times)

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hotel at 13 Mar Place Alloa
« on: Wednesday 13 April 11 03:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Listers,

Just wondered if anyone might have knowledge of the abovementioned hotel and what it was called.  It was operated by Thomas Penman and wife Jemima Walkingshaw and upon his death it may have been run by his son David who was married to Catherine Henderson.

The Penmans were living at 13 Mar Place in 1911 and when daug Jenny died in 1931 she died at that address so it looks like they were resident for at least a couple of decades.

Thomas Penman died 14 Dec 1914...I wonder was there an obituary for him at that time.  Any help would be appreciated re the hotel or the Penman family of Alloa.

With thanks, Sage.

Offline kerry1212

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
tustin,harrison,blizzard,bradshaw

warwickshire birmingham staffs

Offline kerry1212

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hotel at 13 Mar Place Alloa
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 11:15 BST (UK) »
hi again sage, i found david with parents thomas and jemma and other children but there surname was mistranscribed as texman? but changed to penman david was born in 1884 in lochgelly fife coal miner, thomas b 1860 lochgelly he is a coal miner, jemma b 1861 in lumphanan fife,daughter margaret b 1882 in lochgelly is a dressmaker, james b 1885 lochgelly coalminer, mary b 1887 lochgelly linen worker, thomas b1891 cowdenbeath fife scholar,william b 1895 scholar,jemima b 1897 cowdenbeath, and archibald b 1901 1 month cowdenbeath fife all living in beath fife

kerry ;D

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry, thanks for the link...my computer blocked it but when I googled 13 Mar Place Alloa (should have thought of that before!) I found that the building now known as 'Tarragon House' is on the market for a cool 1/2 a million pounds!!  There is a photo of it so that's brilliant.

Thanks also for the census...I think that must be the 1901 one which I am lucky enough to have the image of.

I've also established that Thomas Penman's son, David and his wife Catherine operated a hotel at Crossgates, Fife.

Please if anyone has further information to add to Kerry's posting I would be most interested to learn more of this family and the hotel.  Does anyone know what it might have been called back in the early 1900s?

Regards,
Sage.

Offline kerry1212

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 12:57 BST (UK) »
i have found that david married catherine in 28th aug 1907 in st giles midlothian scotland address was 41 hator street

jemima armstrong walkingshaw b 1860 16th april Lumphinians, Ballingray, Fife, Scotland
Married: 24 JUN 1881 in Auchterderran, Fife, Scotland

can give more details on jemimas parents if you needed it

kerry

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,

Thanks so much for your efforts...I'm okay for most of that info as I've done a lot of background on the Walkingshaw clan.  For now, just trying to flesh out some more information on the Penmans during their time in Alloa.

I'm also interested in finding out if their is a headstone for Thomas Penman at Alloa as I have a friend visiting next week.  As previously stated he died 14 Dec 1914 if anyone can help.

Thanks again Kerry, I appreciate your efforts.

Sage.