Author Topic: Thomas Masters - Lookup please  (Read 1235 times)

Offline williamscdr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Masters - Lookup please
« on: Wednesday 13 April 11 11:47 BST (UK) »

Morning all

I am trying to trace any imigration info or detail on Thomas Henry Masters born in Cornwall c.1872.  I gather at some stage he went to Canada and died on the railways. His wife was Enna Augusta Masters born in Cornwal c. 1872 and they married 1899.  They were in England in 1911 as they are recorded on the census.

Is this a really long shot?

David

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Masters - Lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 April 11 05:45 BST (UK) »
I believe the name on the census may have actually been Emma. There is a marriage for Thomas Henry Masters in Liskeard in 1899 which has Emma Augusta Tamblyn on the same page. There is also a birth for Emma Augusta Tamblyn and a death for Emma A. Masters in Liskeard which matches the information from the census.

I don't know if this is your Thomas Masters but there is one who departed from Avonmouth and arrived in Quebec on the Royal George on Royal George. The passenger list indicates he was 37, born in England and was going to Winnipeg, Manitoba. His occupation in the UK was quarry ? and he said he was planning on farming in Canada. There are stamps at the end of the entry that says CAN NOR and CPR. It also says he had been in Canada in 1908. The outgoing UK passenger list indicates he departed from Bristol and he was listed as Thomas Hey. Masters, 37, labourer. Here's a link to the Canadian passenger list at Library and Archives Canada:
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e143/e003574770.jpg

I couldn't find a death for Thomas Henry Masters at Ancestry.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline williamscdr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Masters - Lookup please
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 08:19 BST (UK) »
Jacquie

Thank you very much - I will follow this up!  Your help is gratefully appreciated

David
 :)