Author Topic: John McKenzie, born Fordyce 1806  (Read 4880 times)

Offline rburns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McKenzie, born Fordyce 1806
« on: Thursday 14 April 11 03:17 BST (UK) »
John McKenzie was born to James McKenzie and Jean Bain at Portsoy 28 April 1806.  He married Anne Mellis (b. 1804) about 1826, lived Aberdeen, and came to Australia aboard the "Lightning" 1861.  Any contact, including family in Scotland, welcome.

Offline flabbergasted

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John McKenzie, born Fordyce 1806
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 February 16 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am a descendent of John McKenzie and Anne (nee Melllis), I have a copy of a photo of them and a few photos of some of their children. Feel free to contact me if you are interested in the photos. I am happy to share any information I have on the family.

Susan

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 February 16 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Susan,

I am very sorry but your reply to rburns has bounced back to us, it looks like they have changed their email address but sadly we do not know what the new one is.

I did do a little search with the information I have but nothing came up.

Old member do log in, I do hope that this will be the case here.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 September 19 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Susan, I am also a descendant of John McKenzie. My grandfather was James Joseph McKenzie, son of John McKenzie and Annea Julia Windsor. He was born in Victoria in 1888 and died in 1941. I would greatly appreciate any photos you may be able to share.
Regards Greg

Offline flabbergasted

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi there Greg!
Lovely to hear from you. I have no record of a John McKenzie who married Anna Julia Windsor on my family tree, so I'm a little puzzled as to how they are related to the John Mckenzie who was born in 1806 in Fordyce. The fact that I don't have them recorded may be because they aren't my direct lineage. Would it be possible for you to enlighten me before I send any photos? That way I can ensure that any photos I send are relevant to you.
Regards,
Susan

Offline Greywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 01:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Susan,

Thank you so much for your reply, sorry I didn't explain the relationship so well I am new to this and a bit too excited...
I will start with the info as far as I know at this stage;

1. James McKenzie was born in Scotland. He married Jean McBain on 25 July 1765 in Dyke, Moray, Scotland. They had a child named John McKenzie b 28 April 1806 in Portsoy, Banffshire, Scotland. He died on 7 October 1888 in Woodford, Victoria, Australia. He married Anne Mellis in 1825 in Boyndie, Banffshire.

2. John McKenzie and Anne Mellis had the following children;
John McKenzie born 1832 in Aberdeen;
Anne McKenzie b 1835
* Alexander McKenzie b 1839
Magdalan McKenzie b 1843
Robert McKenzie b 1845
Helen McKenzie b 1849

3. *Alexander McKenzie son of John and Anne mellis, was born on 13 July 1839 in Old Machar, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. He died on 1st August 1925 in Bushfiel, Victoria. He married Helen Thompson on 22 June 1860 in Newhills, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
Alexander and Helen had the following children;
* John McKenzie born 1860 (Scot)
Jessie Morrison McKenzie b 1862 (Aust)
Alexander McKenzie b 1866 (Aust)
Magdalene McKenzie b 1868 (Aust)
James McKenzie b 1873 (Aust)
Robert McKenzie b 1875 (Aust)

4. * John McKenzie son of Alexander McKenzie and Helen Thompson was born on 21 July 1860 in Newhills, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. He died on 4 February 1918 in Woodford, Victoria, Australia. He married Anna Julia Windsor in 1886 in Victoria.
John McKenzie and Anna Windsor had the following children;
Alexander John McKenzie b 1886
Francis Leo McKenzie b 1887
* James Joseph McKenzie b 1888
John Joseph McKenzie b 1892
Lesley Joseph McKenzie b 1893
Helen Thomson McKenzie b 1895
Cath McKenzie b 1896
Henry McKenzie b 1902

5. * James Joseph McKenzie,son of John McKenzie and Anna Julia Windsor, was born in 1888 in Woodford, Victoria. He died in 1941 in Sydney, NSW. He married Laura Mary Taylor in 1914 in Woolongong, NSW, she died in 1981.
James McKenzie and Laura Taylor had seven children, Ethel, Gladys, Kelvin,Colin, Sheilla, Phillis, * Dawn Monica McKenzie (my mother)

6. * Dawn Monica McKenzie was born on 2 April 1929, she died on the 30 May 2006. She married Colin James Morris in 1948.

This is a brief version of the detail that I have so far, hopefully we are related along the line somewhere. If you require any further detail please let me know.

Kind Regards

Greg Morris

Offline flabbergasted

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 03:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Greg,

Thanks for explaining your connection. I am a descendant of Anne Mckenzie (known as Annie) b 1835 to John Mckenzie and Anne Mellis. I have a lot of information and a few photos that I can pass on to you, although I suspect you may already have most of the details.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Susan

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 14:45 BST (UK) »
1. James McKenzie was born in Scotland. He married Jean McBain on 25 July 1765 in Dyke, Moray, Scotland. They had a child named John McKenzie b 28 April 1806 in Portsoy, Banffshire, Scotland.
Sorry, but I think there is something wrong here.

As well as John, James McKenzie and Jean Bain had William in 1802, Barbara in 1803 and James in 1814. There are enough gaps there for a few more missing children.

You are saying that a woman married in 1765 had a child in 1814, 49 years later. Even if she was married at the minimum legal age (12), she would have been 61 years old by the time James McKenzie junior was born in 1814.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Greywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 September 19 23:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that info, as you can see this is a work in progress and my research experience is limited. If you have any further information on James and Jean it would be appreciated.